Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Piper27
I love bengals

What is wrong with this forum?

Man I love this site but I am noticing the ZOA forum is lacking. No one posts their tank pictures of nice ZOA's EVER. There are constantly post after post after post of people needing help with their zoa problems, which is fine but mostly only a few help. And thoes few are amazing for putting their time in to help people on the forum almost daily.
Does no one keep ZOA tanks and want to share? Seriously that's what makes a forum fun right? Pics, then conversation about certain tanks. From that conversation comes learning also.
I am not one to talk because I have yet to update our new tank with a new thread yet but things are taking way longer to aquascape and its hard to find time. We even got a porthole picture box and a new 100mm macro lens. But the pics are coming, and with it I hope people who have ZOA tanks will post their pics as well. Even of old tanks they had who cares! Make some threads!

Happy thanksgiving!

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2014, 02:14 PM   #2
becon776
Registered Member

All I get is the toxicity thread lol.

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2014, 02:17 PM   #3
becon776
Registered Member

Yeah have fallen off with the ZOA's since ever since I switched to halides they seem to hate me. (We r talking years ago) but I still love them.

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2014, 02:44 PM   #4
lhm nole
Registered Member

Not in the in thing right now goes in spurts zoas chalices sticks

lhm nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2014, 08:00 PM   #5
m0nkie
Registered Member

I have a 100 gallon half filled with zoas.. i just have no camera skills and they all look purple

Unread 11/28/2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Piper27
I love bengals

Camera skills should not detour us from sharing our zoanthid tanks

Unread 11/28/2014, 08:56 AM   #7
reefwars
Registered Member

I stopped posting pics because of lack of interest or replies , I'm on other forums and feedback is much better no one wants to speak to a dead audience and your right that this particular forum seems to be only people with issues ......I like seeing pics and different collector types while seems RC zoa forum now adays is more catered to new hobbyist with wild common zoos and at the first sign of someone asking about collector stuff they are shunned or there's always that one person who says you paid to much lol

I use to check this forum 20 or more times a day now I'm lucky to check it once a day or every few days as its just the same threads over and over and no more pics

It's a shame really......

reefwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

i'll play!

i just have a few zoas. my urchin is helping them spread all around my tank.
 photo frag_zpsfc99d2a5.jpg

i need to get more glue!

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
I stopped posting pics because of lack of interest or replies , I'm on other forums and feedback is much better no one wants to speak to a dead audience and your right that this particular forum seems to be only people with issues ......I like seeing pics and different collector types while seems RC zoa forum now adays is more catered to new hobbyist with wild common zoos and at the first sign of someone asking about collector stuff they are shunned or there's always that one person who says you paid to much lol

I use to check this forum 20 or more times a day now I'm lucky to check it once a day or every few days as its just the same threads over and over and no more pics

I hear you, the new tank you started is nice. I posted yesterday under a different sn.

I am not sure how we can get this forum to turn around. The two are polar opposites and both have their benefits. But I just think the amount of sharing photos and conversating about each others tanks is what we are lacking. And that's the best part of this whole reefing and online forums! I still think you should share your stuff here man. Just because no one isn't posting doesn't mean its not being enjoyed. Our old tank had tons of views but only a few pages of discussion.

Unread 11/28/2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Piper27
I love bengals

Ninja that is awesome, that's a huge clump of thoes ZOA's its carrying! I am not really trying to get pics here, more trying to get people to share what they have and how they keep it rather than hiding in the dark. And for real cameras or phones don't matter just share!

Unread 11/28/2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

here's another one. i'm not sure what the urchin's reasoning is...protection from predators? or is he making a fashion statement? hehe

photo URCHIN_zps33420949.jpg

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 01:57 AM   #12
KAMIKAZE0214
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina51 View Post
here's another one. i'm not sure what the urchin's reasoning is...protection from predators? or is he making a fashion statement? hehe

photo URCHIN_zps33420949.jpg
Ha, I like his style!

KAMIKAZE0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 08:02 AM   #13
rogersb
Registered Member

Maybe more will pop up soon. It's getting to be that time of year. I know I'm spending more time indoors and looking at my tank, I'm sure others are as well.

rogersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 01:17 PM   #14
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

This isn't just the zoa forum. The SPS forum is the same way - "what is wrong with my entry-level coral that I cannot keep"?

Actually, it is the internet in general these days. Anybody who can get-on-the-line is an expert and the truly experienced have long disappeared and no longer care to argue with a 2-month-old reefer about equipment or husbandry. It seems like articles from BRS or other retailers are now the go-to place for info instead of experienced reefers - I am amazed how often a 10 year old article from RHF is dismissed by the new folks. I call this the "biocube" generation where internet reading and info has replaced actual experience.

How do I know that the truly exceptional reefers are still around? I still message with the same ones that were around years ago. People could learn so much from them since they are mostly old school and use nearly bulletproof methods, but I don't blame them for not wanting a online presence anymore.

I posted some pics of my zoas a while back and you were one of only 3 people to even reply. Not a single question about tank parms, lighting, anything when it seems like I might have half of a clue how to grow these things...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...3#post23165723

...sorry for the rant.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 07:16 PM   #15
SonRK
Registered Member

I just glued a couple of frags on some rock. Just gotta play the waiting game, once it covers the rock I can learn how to use a camera and show off in this Zoa forum

SonRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2014, 12:01 AM   #16
Azar
Registered Member

Lol.. biocube gen.. I totally agree. These days there are more forums then ever, they are everywhere. But people seem to follow the ones with that have the best pics and the next new and greatest morphs . Heck I'm on other forums too. But yes some of us older reefers get looked at like we are stuck in the stone age. Lol. But the reality of it is when our local guys have issues they know who to turn to.

Azar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2014, 09:12 AM   #17
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Here is my experience, broken down into generations:

Discus Generation - FW Hobbyists who got into SW with their huge credits at the LFS for the FW fish that they bred... decided to try SW
LFS Generation - most of your knowledge came from the LFS and you were lucky if you were near a good one
Reef Magazine Generation - some good mags came online and you could order some higher end stuff from the back of them
Early Internet Generation - many good people flocked to message boards to contribute and further learn. Wet Web Media is an awesome place for
BioCube Generation - internet reading has replaced actual experience as more info than ever is available online. Things that sound like good ideas replace actual good ideas. Expect results in a 20g tank to mimic those of larger systems.
Selfie/Maunfacturer Generation (need a better name, working on it) - husbandry and equipment are influenced by manufacturer driven advertising and articles from BRS (and the like). One post by anybody, regardless of skill, is validation that you are doing things right.

Unread 12/04/2014, 08:30 PM   #18
liven learn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Here is my experience, broken down into generations:

Discus Generation - FW Hobbyists who got into SW with their huge credits at the LFS for the FW fish that they bred... decided to try SW
LFS Generation - most of your knowledge came from the LFS and you were lucky if you were near a good one
Reef Magazine Generation - some good mags came online and you could order some higher end stuff from the back of them
Early Internet Generation - many good people flocked to message boards to contribute and further learn. Wet Web Media is an awesome place for
BioCube Generation - internet reading has replaced actual experience as more info than ever is available online. Things that sound like good ideas replace actual good ideas. Expect results in a 20g tank to mimic those of larger systems.
Selfie/Maunfacturer Generation (need a better name, working on it) - husbandry and equipment are influenced by manufacturer driven advertising and articles from BRS (and the like). One post by anybody, regardless of skill, is validation that you are doing things right.
Lol so true and thanks for the good laugh.

Unread 12/05/2014, 09:43 AM   #19
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
This isn't just the zoa forum. The SPS forum is the same way - "what is wrong with my entry-level coral that I cannot keep"?

Actually, it is the internet in general these days. Anybody who can get-on-the-line is an expert and the truly experienced have long disappeared and no longer care to argue with a 2-month-old reefer about equipment or husbandry. It seems like articles from BRS or other retailers are now the go-to place for info instead of experienced reefers - I am amazed how often a 10 year old article from RHF is dismissed by the new folks. I call this the "biocube" generation where internet reading and info has replaced actual experience.

How do I know that the truly exceptional reefers are still around? I still message with the same ones that were around years ago. People could learn so much from them since they are mostly old school and use nearly bulletproof methods, but I don't blame them for not wanting a online presence anymore.

I posted some pics of my zoas a while back and you were one of only 3 people to even reply. Not a single question about tank parms, lighting, anything when it seems like I might have half of a clue how to grow these things...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...3#post23165723

...sorry for the rant.
I completely agree, well said. Thanks for chipping in! By the way I asked for a FTS and never got one thoes are some beautiful big colonies!

Unread 12/05/2014, 09:57 AM   #20
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I don't have a lens for a full tank shot. I'll find a way and repost. Wanna take a bet on how many response I get?

Unread 12/05/2014, 12:41 PM   #21
hobineros
Registered Member

Nice Rant.

I felt complelled just to register to reply to you 2.... YOU feel sitting here berating people is more contribution than asking for help... lol...

No wonder the forum is dead if you 2 trolls lurk here frequently.

hobineros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2014, 01:27 PM   #22
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

The topics that dominate this forum have little interest to me and what interests me generates little in the terms of zoa discussions.

Also life got in my way but I have three tanks cycling and two will have zoas in some capacity including one that should be zoa only.

I understand why you started this but this situation has been present for a long time and will continue unfortunately.

This goes on in every forum here and I cannot think of any thread that has made it to page 3 without someone arguing or being offended.

This one did not make it off the first page.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2014, 09:25 AM   #23
MisterP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobineros View Post
I felt complelled just to register to reply to you 2.... YOU feel sitting here berating people is more contribution than asking for help... lol...

No wonder the forum is dead if you 2 trolls lurk here frequently.
Waste of registration then if this is all you can contribute.

I think what they are getting at is the same threads come up over and over and over and over and .........over.

Does anybody use LEDs?
What's wrong with my tank? I forgot to top off for 3 days and my alk was 4dkh, Calc was 200 what's wrong with my coral?

Its the same crap over and over and over......then people wonder why nobody wants to respond.

Go to the newb forum and read. Go to the chem forum and learn basic water chemistry. Go look at successful tanks and see what their husbandry is.

Don't come on here with no basic knowledge and expect to be spoon fed. Do some research and put in some effort.

That's what I think jda means by the generational thing. Every body wants instant feedback and success and that's not going to happen in this hobby unless you put in lots of effort on learning how chemistry and biology interrelate.

MisterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2014, 02:46 PM   #24
marvelousone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post

I agree with reefwars. Here some pics with my iphone not great pics but here they are

marvelousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2014, 02:47 PM   #25
marvelousone
Registered Member

marvelousone is offline   Reply With Quote