Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2012, 07:47 AM   #1401
Bad LS1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad LS1 View Post
Does anyone have the exact measurements for these Radions? I'm going to design my bracket somewhat like Borap did. I'll have one of my fabricators make it for me. Being an engineer I'm noticing the dimensions on Ecotech's website aren't matching up.

In this pic below the dimensions between the holes are 5.125" x 9.75" with a 1.125" from the edge of the top plate. Well 9.75 + 1.125 + 1.125 = 12 and on the website it says the overall length of the unit is 11.8. How can this be? The top plate is a bit smaller than the overall unit! Can someone from Ecotech confirm the exact dimension of overall unit, top plate, and mounting holes?

I would hate to fabricate my bracket only for the lights to not fit.

Is this something EcoTech is willing to answer? If we have to make our own mounting brackets they could at least give us the correct mounting information. I know they have these lights drawn up in CAD for sure.

Bad LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 08:33 PM   #1402
LSUtiger
Premium Member

Dimensions are here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...postcount=1046

LSUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 08:39 AM   #1403
EcoTech Service
Registered Member

Looking further into the posted dimensions it looks like the measurements were in fact a little bit off; we're working on another illustration as we speak.

The definitive measurements between the mounting holes are 9.72x5.02" (247x127.5mm). The distance between each hole and the edge of the fixture are 1.05" (26.5mm).

For FAQs, troubleshooting advice and direct interaction with the EcoTech staff, visit http://ecotechmarine.com/support/ or call us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2.
EcoTech Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 01:22 PM   #1404
rgauvin
Registered Member

I have eggcrate above my tank to prevent any jumpers. While the light in the tank looks good, I am noticing on the eggcrate that the 2 light pucks give off slightly different colored light when the light is at a lowered output setting (typically in the early morning, or late evening in the programmed light cycle).

I'm not mad or angry, as I said, the light in the tank looks great, but is this behavior to be expected/normal? I've reprogrammed the radion and it is still occurring. Is it from the LED's being driven at a lower intensity causing inconsistency in one puck versus the other?

rgauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 02:05 PM   #1405
BigKahuna
Registered Member

I think you are suffering a form of parallax with the eggcrate at certain angles blocking some of the LEDs while letting others through due to slight differences in the line of sight. This is going to be nearly impossible to avoid, especially the closer you have the eggcrate to the lights. To be honest eggcrate is terrible wrt light blocking and you lose significant amounts of light due to its use regardless of the light type, this make sense because it was originally designed for this purpose. You should look into getting some clear mesh like BRS sells and make a cover using that and ditch the eggcrate.

BigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 02:37 PM   #1406
Bad LS1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTech Service View Post
Looking further into the posted dimensions it looks like the measurements were in fact a little bit off; we're working on another illustration as we speak.

The definitive measurements between the mounting holes are 9.72x5.02" (247x127.5mm). The distance between each hole and the edge of the fixture are 1.05" (26.5mm).
Great. Thanks Johnathan

Bad LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 02:50 PM   #1407
rgauvin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I think you are suffering a form of parallax with the eggcrate at certain angles blocking some of the LEDs while letting others through due to slight differences in the line of sight. This is going to be nearly impossible to avoid, especially the closer you have the eggcrate to the lights. To be honest eggcrate is terrible wrt light blocking and you lose significant amounts of light due to its use regardless of the light type, this make sense because it was originally designed for this purpose. You should look into getting some clear mesh like BRS sells and make a cover using that and ditch the eggcrate.
yeah, I know that the egg crate can impact the lighting intensity the tank, it can cause shadows, it can make a weird "disco effect" if I get too much surface turbulence on the water surface of the tank among other issues. My question has nothing to do with light that has passed thru the egg crate. It was simply noticed on the eggcrate as the light from the 2 pucks haven't mixed at that point, covering the issue. In the tank, the light patterns overlap, so the slightly yellow hue is covered/overpowered by the 2nd puck and isn't visible. on the eggcrate itself (or on anything I lay on the eggcrate), you can clearly see a difference in the colors being emitted from one puck versus the other before the blend together farther down. Think of it as stopping your car 2 feet from a wall and turning on the headlights. You could easilly tell if one headlight was a different color from the other, but if you stop 20-30 feet from the wall, the light from the 2 headlights has mixed together, and you can no longer see a difference

The variance in light colors emitted by the radion is not related to the egg crate. I can put a large sheet of paper on the egg crate and the 2 light pucks are indeed slightly different colors. One of the light pucks almost seems to have LED's that are slightly yellow rather then a crisp white.

Last edited by rgauvin; 02/22/2012 at 02:56 PM.
rgauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 05:00 PM   #1408
adw
Registered Member

I have 2 units on order for my 36x24x24 tank.

I currently run 2x250w halides in lumanbright minis and 2x110w vho.

Two questions what kind of acclimating will I need to do and should I mount them parallel or perpendicular to the front of the tank.

Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Current Tank Info: 36x24x24 90 gal with 40B sump, 2x RADION XR30W, AC3, Tunze osmulator, Octopus XP-2000SSS Cone Skimmer, KORALLIN C-1501, MP40 and 2 Hydor PHs
adw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 07:40 PM   #1409
BigKahuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauvin View Post
The variance in light colors emitted by the radion is not related to the egg crate. I can put a large sheet of paper on the egg crate and the 2 light pucks are indeed slightly different colors. One of the light pucks almost seems to have LED's that are slightly yellow rather then a crisp white.
Ah, I see what you are saying. I think as LEDs are driven in the lower limits more variability will probably present itself. If this only really show on the eggcrate and doesn't impact the look of the tank I wouldn't worry too much.

Unread 02/22/2012, 09:51 PM   #1410
Saldebo
Registered Member

question!!!!!! got 2 xr30 today... set them up and everything .. why are the 2 mp 40 blinking white now ???????? cant find anything in quick start manual..... help plz

Saldebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 10:00 PM   #1411
Saldebo
Registered Member

more like a yellow color

Saldebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 07:32 AM   #1412
rainmkr07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauvin View Post
yeah, I know that the egg crate can impact the lighting intensity the tank, it can cause shadows, it can make a weird "disco effect" if I get too much surface turbulence on the water surface of the tank among other issues. My question has nothing to do with light that has passed thru the egg crate. It was simply noticed on the eggcrate as the light from the 2 pucks haven't mixed at that point, covering the issue. In the tank, the light patterns overlap, so the slightly yellow hue is covered/overpowered by the 2nd puck and isn't visible. on the eggcrate itself (or on anything I lay on the eggcrate), you can clearly see a difference in the colors being emitted from one puck versus the other before the blend together farther down. Think of it as stopping your car 2 feet from a wall and turning on the headlights. You could easilly tell if one headlight was a different color from the other, but if you stop 20-30 feet from the wall, the light from the 2 headlights has mixed together, and you can no longer see a difference

I have the same problem with my 2 radions. It has nothing to do with the egg crate, its the units themselves. At low intensities (1-10%) radions behave differently. To such an extent that one could almost consider no 2 radions alike. I have one that never turns off once it reaches a low intensity, and another that turns off early once it reaches a low intensity. And while they are both on, they have different spectrums coming from them. All I can say is that ecotech is aware of the issue and hopefully the future software update will fix the problem. I wish they'd hurry up and push it out though.

Unread 02/24/2012, 08:35 AM   #1413
adw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adw View Post
I have 2 units on order for my 36x24x24 tank.

I currently run 2x250w halides in lumanbright minis and 2x110w vho.

Two questions what kind of acclimating will I need to do and should I mount them parallel or perpendicular to the front of the tank.

Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Bueller Bueller Bueller.............................

Current Tank Info: 36x24x24 90 gal with 40B sump, 2x RADION XR30W, AC3, Tunze osmulator, Octopus XP-2000SSS Cone Skimmer, KORALLIN C-1501, MP40 and 2 Hydor PHs
Unread 02/24/2012, 09:00 AM   #1414
rainmkr07
Registered Member

Quote:
Bueller Bueller Bueller.............................
I would mount them like this: | | (thats how I have mine in my 36"x36" cube as well).

I would start the acclimation process with an overall intensity of something around 25-40% depending on what corals you currently have, and raise it 5% every week.

Unread 02/24/2012, 09:44 AM   #1415
adw
Registered Member

Thanks so much. Mounting them like that do you notice more shading in the front and back or to the sides of your tank?

Can't imagine that the LEDs could be more intense that the halides in the lumenbright reflectors. Is it that the light is different and the corals need to adjust? I have mostly sps with some lps at the bottom.

Unread 02/24/2012, 09:52 AM   #1416
rainmkr07
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks so much. Mounting them like that do you notice more shading in the front and back or to the sides of your tank?

Can't imagine that the LEDs could be more intense that the halides in the lumenbright reflectors. Is it that the light is different and the corals need to adjust? I have mostly sps with some lps at the bottom.
I don't notice shading in the front and back or on the sides. The coverage is really good.

Try starting the Radions at 40% and raise them 5% per week. That shouldn't be too strong to start, but don't underestimate them. Always seeing posts of people who started them at 100% and bleached everything.

Unread 02/24/2012, 10:01 AM   #1417
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmkr07 View Post
I don't notice shading in the front and back or on the sides. The coverage is really good.

Try starting the Radions at 40% and raise them 5% per week. That shouldn't be too strong to start, but don't underestimate them. Always seeing posts of people who started them at 100% and bleached everything.
Good advice

Sent from Wesley's Moto Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

wesleyforbes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 10:10 AM   #1418
adw
Registered Member

awesome thanks for the advice.

Unread 02/24/2012, 10:26 AM   #1419
BigKahuna
Registered Member

Quote:

It isn't so much the intensity we can see. LED light, especially on the blue end of the spectrum, isn't seen by our eyes as well as output from a source like a halide. It may look dimmer to our eyes but still torch the coral so when switching to LEDs it best to start low and slowly ramp them up.

Unread 02/24/2012, 10:38 AM   #1420
adw
Registered Member

Not sure I buy that they will have more kick than a halide in a lumenbright reflector visible or not but better safe than sorry.

Unread 02/24/2012, 11:54 AM   #1421
wipe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmkr07 View Post
I have the same problem with my 2 radions. It has nothing to do with the egg crate, its the units themselves. At low intensities (1-10%) radions behave differently. To such an extent that one could almost consider no 2 radions alike. I have one that never turns off once it reaches a low intensity, and another that turns off early once it reaches a low intensity. And while they are both on, they have different spectrums coming from them. All I can say is that ecotech is aware of the issue and hopefully the future software update will fix the problem. I wish they'd hurry up and push it out though.
WHEN? SOON... I feel like a 6yo are we there yet? Its annoying they have a mind of there own in low intensities.

Current Tank Info: 220 + 120 lit by 3 radion's 300gal stocktank basement sump asm G4+ skimmer
wipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 04:27 PM   #1422
chercm
Registered Member

when will be the next software update on the Radion ?

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 07:32 PM   #1423
troyholl
Registered Member

How many would a 5' x 3' x 27" tank require?

troyholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2012, 08:15 PM   #1424
eidels
Registered Member

Would anyone happen to have the dimensions of the cord and connectors? I am going to use conduit to hang 4 radions on a 250; if possible I'd run the cord thru a drilled hole into the conduit down to the stand. Thanks

eidels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2012, 08:34 PM   #1425
david00061
Registered Member

This is what i drilled

2 mp60's 4 mp40's, GEO 818 calcium reactor
SRO XP 8000 external skimmer
david00061 is offline   Reply With Quote