Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2017, 07:18 PM   #1
malx
Registered Member

ZEOvit Anemone Nano!

Hi, Guys.

I'm very excited to begin day one of my species nano reef that I will be maintaining using the ZEOvit method.

Here's what I plan on keeping in the tank:
  1. One Black Clownfish/Snowflake
  2. One Anemone Crab
  3. One Neon Green Carpet Anemone or Green BTA
  4. One Snail for CNC
  5. One Emerald for CNC

Here's the list of the life support and:
  • Nuvo Fusion 10
  • MP10 on Tidal Swell Mode
  • Kessil A80
  • APEX Jr
  • 50w Neo-Therm Heater
  • AutoAqua - Smart ATO Micro

Here's what I plan on dosing:
  • Day One
    • ZeoBac – 2 ml
    • ZeoStart – 4 ml
    • SpongePower – 1.2
  • Starting at Day 4:
    • ZeoBac – 1 drop every other day
    • ZeoStart – 1 drop daily
    • SpongePower – 1 drop every other day

I am currently running (KISSING IT):
  • Dead Rock
  • Small Ammount of Live Rock
  • One Filter Sock
  • 100ml ZEOlite Media
  • 40ml Carbon (will be added on Day 10 as per KZ's instructions

I will post here once I have an update (IE, Algae forms, fish added, tank spontaneously explodes, etc).

Cheers,
Joey

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2017, 09:30 PM   #2
ReeferDash
Registered Member

Oooooooooooh man, I'm so super excited to see how this turns out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReeferDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2017, 11:37 PM   #3
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferDash View Post
Oooooooooooh man, I'm so super excited to see how this turns out!

Thanks bud!

Unread 01/30/2017, 05:00 AM   #4
rockhead51
Registered Member

I got the same ATO about a week ago- so far I am loving it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2017, 10:18 AM   #5
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhead51 View Post
I got the same ATO about a week ago- so far I am loving it.

Yeah it's pretty good! It's really tiny. The only issue I have is that the pump is not strong enough to pump water from below the tank, only next to it. Does yours do the same? Do you know of a fix?

Let me know!
Joey

Unread 01/30/2017, 01:14 PM   #6
malx
Registered Member

Small gear update. Let me introduce you to my level of OCD. The control cable for the Kessil is ugly. It sticks out of the light as you can see here:

Well with the power of a few bucks and Amazon.com I purchased one of these:

Much better...

Unread 01/30/2017, 03:55 PM   #7
rockhead51
Registered Member

Joey,
Mine goes into a gallon and a half Tupperware container which is at the bottom level of my tank stand. Pumps it up to my tank easy. The manual says it should provide 2m of lift (I think), mine is maybe a meter.

Unread 01/30/2017, 04:08 PM   #8
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhead51 View Post
Joey,
Mine goes into a gallon and a half Tupperware container which is at the bottom level of my tank stand. Pumps it up to my tank easy. The manual says it should provide 2m of lift (I think), mine is maybe a meter.

Do you use the check valve that was included?

Unread 01/30/2017, 08:20 PM   #9
rockhead51
Registered Member

Yes, just at the top of the reservoir (so that any drips run back in).
You might want to call them- I've read a ton of reviews and most are saying that the pump is really strong.... You might have got a lemon.

Unread 01/31/2017, 09:20 AM   #10
Joel_155
Registered Member

I like the idea but you have to but you EXTREMELY careful with your dosing schedule. I tried the same thing on my 20g and ended up overdosing Zeo start. I was dosing about 1/10 of a mil. I don't want to discourage you but you need to be very regimented with your dosing. I would probably cut back the Zeo start by half

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 09:39 AM   #11
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_155 View Post
I like the idea but you have to but you EXTREMELY careful with your dosing schedule. I tried the same thing on my 20g and ended up overdosing Zeo start. I was dosing about 1/10 of a mil. I don't want to discourage you but you need to be very regimented with your dosing. I would probably cut back the Zeo start by half

The dosing schedule I got was directly from the ZOEvit guys after I asked them about it on their forum. I'll see how that goes.

Unread 01/31/2017, 09:59 AM   #12
Joel_155
Registered Member

Cool! Keep us posted on how it works

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 04:38 PM   #13
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_155 View Post
Cool! Keep us posted on how it works

I will! So far so good on the cycle. Bacterial bloom cleared up.

Unread 01/31/2017, 04:39 PM   #14
malx
Registered Member

All. So I spoke to Bulk Reef Supply today and they said that their Anemones look great at the following water parameters:

420 calcium, 10 ALK, 1.026 salinity, 8.2 PH, .05 phosphates, nitrates 20, Mag 1300.

I obviously don't want to buff the tank to 10 and have 20 nitrates if I don't need to, but if I start having problems with the Nem and see that Alk/Nitrates are low, I may consider bringing them up.

Unread 02/03/2017, 09:32 AM   #15
malx
Registered Member

All carpets, no drapes.

Good news everyone. The tank is almost completely through its cycle. I ended up finding a huge, about 9" carpet nem at a local LFS for 50. He's had these green carpets about 8 months. I went in to look at them and they looked amazing. He fed them, very responsive to feeding, and he's willing to hold the one I purchased for me until my tank can support it. I hope with ZEOVit I can get them to be a little more fluorescent.

Unread 02/03/2017, 09:36 AM   #16
vilenarios
Registered Member

Just curious why you choose the ZEOvit line?

Pretty sweet find on that nem. Gonna look awesome.

Unread 02/03/2017, 09:38 AM   #17
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilenarios View Post
Just curious why you choose the ZEOvit line?

Pretty sweet find on that nem. Gonna look awesome.

I run it on my main display tank so I already have all of the products necessary for it.

Unread 02/03/2017, 10:06 AM   #18
Pastey
Registered Member

A 9" haddoni hosting an unnatural species of clown in a 10g tank with a propeller style powerhead in a open top AIO tank...I wish to offer you some advice.

I don't want to be one of those guys who tells someone all the reasons that what they want is a bad idea but I'm speaking from experience and I hope you can learn from what I did to avoid replicating.

I had a large haddoni in a 200g tank that ate about 7 fish that I KNOW OF. I took it out and put it in a 28g AIO with a pair of clarkii clowns..a natural symbiant. The anemone never stayed put for long regardless of changes in lighting, flow, or water change schedule. It was simply dead set on moving around and in a large tank, that's bad. In a small tank, it's catastrophic.

1. A 9" haddoni in a tiny tank is asking for trouble. If the anemone is unhappy with ANYTHING..flow volume/direction/etc, it can and will either go walking or let go to be taken by the flow and then it's only a matter of time before the MP10 chews it up.

2. A haddoni can AND WILL, walk right over the back wall of the tank and into the filtration chamber where it can be VERY difficult to remove and God help you if it gets sucked into the return pump. This very thing happened and it is NOT fun for all parties.

3. In such a small tank, a non-symbiotic clown has a poor chance of surviving a haddoni and with the inability to escape, you're playing Russian roulette with 5 in the chamber.

I hope you heed my warnings and alter some or all of your plan. A different anemone like a smaller BTA, larger tank without the prop pump...something. I hate to see you waste time and money on a setup where all the cards are stacked against you. Good luck.

Unread 02/03/2017, 10:21 AM   #19
malx
Registered Member

ZEOvit Anemone Nano!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastey View Post
A 9" haddoni hosting an unnatural species of clown in a 10g tank with a propeller style powerhead in a open top AIO tank...I wish to offer you some advice.

I don't want to be one of those guys who tells someone all the reasons that what they want is a bad idea but I'm speaking from experience and I hope you can learn from what I did to avoid replicating.

I had a large haddoni in a 200g tank that ate about 7 fish that I KNOW OF. I took it out and put it in a 28g AIO with a pair of clarkii clowns..a natural symbiant. The anemone never stayed put for long regardless of changes in lighting, flow, or water change schedule. It was simply dead set on moving around and in a large tank, that's bad. In a small tank, it's catastrophic.

1. A 9" haddoni in a tiny tank is asking for trouble. If the anemone is unhappy with ANYTHING..flow volume/direction/etc, it can and will either go walking or let go to be taken by the flow and then it's only a matter of time before the MP10 chews it up.

2. A haddoni can AND WILL, walk right over the back wall of the tank and into the filtration chamber where it can be VERY difficult to remove and God help you if it gets sucked into the return pump. This very thing happened and it is NOT fun for all parties.

3. In such a small tank, a non-symbiotic clown has a poor chance of surviving a haddoni and with the inability to escape, you're playing Russian roulette with 5 in the chamber.

I hope you heed my warnings and alter some or all of your plan. A different anemone like a smaller BTA, larger tank without the prop pump...something. I hate to see you waste time and money on a setup where all the cards are stacked against you. Good luck.

I understand the risks and there are steps I have taken to mitigate some of those. Thanks for you concern.

Unread 02/09/2017, 06:04 PM   #20
malx
Registered Member

Hi, All.

So quick update here! The tank is still cycling (day 12) and taking a bit longer than expected. I asked the guys on the ZEOvit forum why that might be. It could just be taking longer because I used dead rock and only a small amount of live rock.

Tested some other parameters today and they are a bit wacky but in a range fine for fish.

Alk 6.7dkh
Ca 480
Mg 1475

Question, is my Ca and Mg too high for a Carpet?

Finally, I found the fish I'm going to be adding! I'll announce that when the Nitrite drops and I pick him up.

Cheers,
Joey

Unread 02/10/2017, 03:13 AM   #21
Bagabaga
Registered Member

It's strange that your alk is so low and calcium and magnesium are so high without you dosing either element to the tank. Are you using the Red Sea coral pro salt you mentioned in your sps build thread as well?

If you are your salt looks like it reads funny.

I also see that despite sound advice about the anemone moving and being chewed up and you saying you've mitigated that risk but didn't state how, I'm curious what you're doing to lessen the chance of a disaster?

This would be kind of a cool tank to see thrive but like all good things they take time and patience. A lot of us here love our pets like most people love their dogs and cats.

I'd also be careful with what the zeovit guys are telling you on their forum. They do make a good product line but it's not the end all be all of the hobby and a cycle could take weeks depending on your unique tank. Give it a lot more time to mature before diving into the world of anemones as well. They tend to be very particular about lighting and water stability, just like sps are.

These are animals lives here and patience will do some good in long term success with them.

Bagabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 09:09 PM   #22
Flanders
Registered Member

Honestly, this tank in its current form is a disaster waiting to happen. My advice is to keep it simple, ditch the zeovit, get a decent skimmer and shield your vortech so the anemone doesn't get destroyed. Even the skimmer could be optional with common sense and good husbandry, but I've never even heard of anyone using zeovit without a skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef, two 175-watt MH, two vho actinic
Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2017, 03:20 PM   #23
malx
Registered Member

Adding the one and only fish going in this tank which is a Phantom Clown.

Unread 02/27/2017, 01:26 PM   #24
malx
Registered Member

Quick update here for everyone! Fish is doing well. So are the two snails I have. Diatoms from the initial cycle are gone and algae is to a minimum. Will be adding the Nem this week.

I have the sponge on my MP10 ready to go:

I also installed four nylon screws into the overflow that stick out far enough in an effort to prevent the nem from covering the overflow and flooding the tank. Got these at Home Depot. They are #10.

Unread 02/27/2017, 07:26 PM   #25
ReeferDash
Registered Member

I, for one, am very interested in seeing how this tank does.

ReeferDash is offline   Reply With Quote