Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/04/2018, 07:16 PM   #101
travisstewart
Registered Member

Nice coral gigíem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travisstewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2018, 12:37 PM   #102
Gig 'em
Registered Member

I added the smallest fish I've ever bought to the tank today, a golden eviota font. The longer I'm in this hobby, the more I gravitate towards smaller fish. I love the detail and the personality of small fish, darting in and out of the rockwork. I also just feel bad putting larger fish in a confined tank when I see tangs and angels cruising large swaths of reef in a matter of seconds while I'm diving. Meanwhile I see TONS of little gobies and smaller fish inhabiting the same coral colony and rock outcrop. That image seems more natural and inviting to me than large fish in a small glass cage. I'll get off my soap box now

In other news, I'll soon be forced to start fragging either my Vivid Confetti colony or my RCA Baton Rouge colony. My guess is they'll be touching by the end of the weekend.

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2018, 12:38 PM   #103
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Thats a good problem to have.

Current Tank Info: No tanks currently, 72-90g sps mixed reef in the works.
DesertReefT4r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2018, 04:00 PM   #104
rvela
Registered Member

One of these days Iíd like to visit and see your tank in person. Iíve heard a lot about you from fellow stickheads.

rvela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2018, 07:00 AM   #105
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvela View Post
One of these days Iíd like to visit and see your tank in person. Iíve heard a lot about you from fellow stickheads.

Fellow reefers are always welcomed over to see the tank!

Old 02/16/2018, 06:02 PM   #106
reefmutt
Registered Member

I wish I lived in Austin!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 4x AI prime 6xt5 3x150w mh. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2018, 09:38 AM   #107
Gig 'em
Registered Member

My H. magnifica anemone FINALLY moved off the front glass and to the back wall after I accidentally left one of my powerheads off for a week while I was out of town. He didn't like the lack of flow so decided to find somewhere else to anchor down. I like this position much more, I can still grow all my acros AND see the front of my mag again

Also getting back into the clam scene after I lost all my clams in 2015 to some sort of disease. I tested out a clam in my tank since it's been about 3 years and it seems to be ok so far.

Old 02/17/2018, 11:41 AM   #108
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

I know itís been a couple months but re: your RO filters/chloramines- I am running an SPS tank 1/3 the size of yours (so a LOT less water though mr RO) and I get detectable chloramine after my first carbon block in 3 months. I now test monthly with Hach CN-70 kit and any issues are avoided by taking out the guessing.

notenoughtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2018, 01:50 PM   #109
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenoughtanks View Post
I know itís been a couple months but re: your RO filters/chloramines- I am running an SPS tank 1/3 the size of yours (so a LOT less water though mr RO) and I get detectable chloramine after my first carbon block in 3 months. I now test monthly with Hach CN-70 kit and any issues are avoided by taking out the guessing.

Wow, yeah this year I have come to realize just how rapidly these carbon blocks can become saturated. The first thing I ask people now when they're having coral problems is "how old are your RO prefilters and do you test for chloramines?" I would be surprised if most phantom issues in tanks are just due to exhausted RO prefilters that fail after a couple months.