Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2008, 01:58 PM   #426
i2ik
Registered Member

Finishing semester in 3 days, i received my stand for my frag tank. I was looking on getting a QT tank also, but can't find any place to put it behind the tank so i was thinking having a QT/frag tank. The tank's size is 36x18x14 made with acrylic and it would be connected to the system. A valve will be place to seperate the tank from the system when there is need for treatment. There will be an overflow going into the sump attached to an poly filter. Is it a good idea to have an QT/Frag tank this way?

I am looking on getting a small skimmer that i could put in the tank. I was looking at either an Euro reef RS80 (wondering about micro bubbles), Tunze DOC9005 or maybe an hang on skimmer like the Deltec MCE 300. what do you guys think? Tunze seem to have the smallest footprint and no micro bubbles but dunno about its performance... I tend to like the Euro reef performance but afraid of micro bubbles. The Deltec, dunno about it... afraid of it overfloating on the floor....

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
i2ik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2008, 04:28 PM   #427
tonyespinoza
Premium Member

i tried the MCE600 and found it too loud for my taste. (even though it's considered quiet for a HOB.) i *really* love the current Tunze 9010. it works great, is extremely quiet, and while being over-sized for the frag tank, i think it would still work (you would just skim a little wet -- which is all tunze's do anyway). i've also run the nano skimmer (9002, i think it's called). it's great for a tiny tank (< 20g) but isn't built very well. if you go with the Tunze, get the magnet -- it makes it easier to find the water-level sweet spot.

tonyespinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2008, 05:52 PM   #428
i2ik
Registered Member

thanks Tony! I did not know that Tunze changed model, so the current model is better than the previous one? I will get the magnet for sure, i dont like their hanging kit, its not stable. I read that the 9005 is the same thing as the 9010, the 9010 have a bigger collection cup and a bit taller. Is it worth the $ difference?

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
Unread 04/20/2008, 05:59 PM   #429
GSMguy
Registered Member

i think the MCE 600 is a great skimmer i love mine.

i also have the MCE300 and i had a 9005 for a while the MCE600 is better

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2008, 06:06 PM   #430
i2ik
Registered Member

I know that Deltec as well known for something and their skimmer are pretty much why but the MCE 600 is not in my price range for a frag/QT tank

You did not like your 9005 GSM?

Unread 04/20/2008, 06:09 PM   #431
GSMguy
Registered Member

no i liked it, i feel like the deltec will skim even when the tank is very clean and the tunze was more of a wet skim only kind of skimmer.

the 9010 comes with in tank kit the 9005 you have to buy the brackets

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2008, 07:31 PM   #432
tonyespinoza
Premium Member

i think nick is right -- the MCE600 can practically skim dry. the tunze is a wet skimmer. again, i got to compare the 9010 against the deltec side by side and for me, the noise was an issue (not to mention the price).

i've had both the 9005 (500L/hr air, 800L/hr water) and 9010 (650L/hr air, 1,200L/hr water) and was much happier with the 9010 -- IMHO definitely worth the extra $80 or so.

keep in mind none of these skimmers are going to skim like your H&S! :-)

Unread 04/20/2008, 07:46 PM   #433
i2ik
Registered Member

For the price of an MCE600, i could get an Elos NS500 for almost the same price... but i find it quite an investment for such a small frag/QT tank...

What about the Euro reef? I really would like to know if there is some micro bubbles problem with them.

Unread 04/20/2008, 08:45 PM   #434
tbone28
Registered Member

Richard, I ran the RS250 prior to my BK. The drain pipe needs to be angled so that it's not submerged under water. To avoid the microbubbles from the splashing water, I tied a filter sock around the drain. When I left the drain submerged, it was much harder to adjust the static water level inside the skimmer.

tbone28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2008, 08:46 PM   #435
tonyespinoza
Premium Member

hey richard - you could check with Tbone - i *think* he ER's before he went BK.

[EDIT: Tbone was actually responding as i posted this... ;-) ]

Unread 04/20/2008, 09:13 PM   #436
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks Terry, i might actually go with the ER in the end, I think its a good quality/price for that kind of skimmer. Was there a considerable amount of microbubbles without the sock?

Thanks Tony for pointing Mr. AMG

Unread 04/20/2008, 09:21 PM   #437
tbone28
Registered Member

Richard, I really like ER's. They perform well for the money, and build quality is pretty good, too. I used ER's for 8 years. I like the older ones more than my current one though. The older ones seemed easier to adjust static water level. I don't like the Gen-X pumps that come on the new ER's because they sound like lawnmowers. If noise is a concern, you can upgrade to the Eheim pump, which is what I did. The last time I spoke with Jeff from ER, he said they were working on a new rotor which should quiet down the Gen-X pumps. YOu can ask if they're available yet.

Without the sock, there were microbubbles in my skimmer section, but I have baffles, and the bubbles need to travel about 4 feet before they hit my return pump, so bubbles weren't an issue. The main reason I tied the filter sock was because the splashing water was too loud.

Quote:
Originally posted by i2ik
Mr. AMG
LOL, you followed the drama in my thread today!

Unread 04/20/2008, 09:58 PM   #438
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks Terry for the valuable info, i did not know that they changed pumps...

Of cours I followed... great entertainment for someone who is in need of a break after a few hours of studies (somehow, i ended up reading a bit every 30 minutes... haha)

Unread 04/20/2008, 10:03 PM   #439
tbone28
Registered Member

The older ER's used Sedra pumps. I actually liked mine, but it seems nowadays that people aren't too happy with them. I'm actually not sure if the RS80 uses a Sedra or Gen-X. The smaller ER's may still use the Sedra. My old Sedra pump was pretty quiet.

Last edited by tbone28; 04/20/2008 at 10:44 PM.
Unread 04/20/2008, 10:42 PM   #440
cbui2
Premium Member

omg Terry not again? start with one question then end up to another and another

Current Tank Info: 600gal 96L x 48W x 30H 1"cell cast w/tons of equipments
cbui2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2008, 10:45 PM   #441
tbone28
Registered Member

What cha talkin about, Bart?

Unread 04/20/2008, 11:02 PM   #442
cbui2
Premium Member

Current Tank Info: 600gal 96L x 48W x 30H 1"cell cast w/tons of equipments
cbui2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2008, 03:59 PM   #443
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Wow

I just took a quick photo spin through your thread. Amazing setup i2ik. I'm going to have to give it a closer look when time permits. Lots of stuff I want to read more about. For now, subscribed and paying attention!

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2008, 04:26 PM   #444
i2ik
Registered Member

Thank You Mike. I lot happened and i still have to recovered from it, the reason why i have not much been updating my thread here...

A few months ago, i introduced a few fishes in my tank without QT them, ending up having velvet disease in the tank. Lost a few fishes but managed to save a couple of them. I lost my Regal angel, Watanabei Angel, Goldflake angel, Achilles Tang and a few more...

It was a big down for me, i ended up not to quit and make an QT tank.

Then later, i had a lot more corals, so my demand in calcium was higher... installed my calcium reactor but could not get it to stabilized. My alk was really high and i was afraid of getting some STN or RTN... Purchased a peristaltic pump a few days before going traveling for 2 months... I thought i could fix the problem with the peristaltic pump, i calibrated the flow and the Co2, but in the end, ended up having lots of swing with the alk and lost a lots of corals. Get really depressed but knew that someday, my passion could come back up. The fishes was still doing well and eating well so it gave me some hope.

After visiting a friend of mine, i saw how his tank changed since 4 months and it gave me back some hope to my tank. So i decided to sell my Ca reactor, pH controller and solenoid to buy everything new. Got an GEO 818 Ca reactor, a new pH controller and a Reef Fanatic Co2 Regulator. Everything should be installed this week, only waiting for the regulator to get shipped.

Unread 10/05/2008, 04:53 PM   #445
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Ouch. That's rough. Those were some very nice fish.

Tanks can rebound very quickly. I hope your troubles are behind you! Best of luck!

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2008, 05:00 PM   #446
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks Mike! I am getting back into it

Unread 10/05/2008, 07:56 PM   #447
Ed Reef
Registered Member

Hey Richard, good to have you back 'online' updating your thread again

~ Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explored by those willing to take the risks. ~

Current Tank Info: Ed Reef’s Shallow Crest Inspired ART
Ed Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2008, 07:57 PM   #448
i2ik
Registered Member

Thanks Ed, i will try to put some pictures soon...
I have changed my aquascape a few months ago and noticed i havent show it yet

Unread 10/08/2008, 05:32 PM   #449
i2ik
Registered Member

Some updated pictures of my tank. Unfortunately, i have no pictures of the tank when it had more corals in it..

Unread 10/08/2008, 07:43 PM   #450
Ed Reef
Registered Member

We need some newer shots Richard. Btw, great rescape....love it

~ Art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can only be explored by those willing to take the risks. ~

Current Tank Info: Ed Reef’s Shallow Crest Inspired ART
Ed Reef is offline   Reply With Quote