Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 07/23/2014, 08:06 PM   #3876
hogfanreefer
Registered Member
 
hogfanreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Conway, AR
Posts: 2,117
Feather duster


__________________
DSA 155,Custom Trigger 42" sump/refugium, MP40 X2, MP 10 X 2, AI Hydra 52 X3, Apex controller, Tunze ATO

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2014, 08:34 PM   #3877
jrozzi
Moved On
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexrod View Post
My previous post did not show the pic, hopefully this works.
Looks kinda hairy, always attached to hard corals.
Cymo andreossyi : Very common and is considered a coral symbiont, with the caveat that such symbiosis are a trade off between the coral and the crab, the coral gains protection and house cleaning services while giving up a few polyps, mucus and captured/settled food particles in exhange for those services. A healthy coral should have no problem repairing or replacing lost polyps, but again, in an aquarium environment, an eye should be kept on the coral for excessive damage being done due to the coral being unable to recover as fast or faster than the damage being done by the crab. In short, its a judgement call that you will have to make.

-http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchcrabs.html


jrozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2014, 10:00 PM   #3878
pagojoe
Team RC Member
 
pagojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh207 View Post
ID Please. What type of snails are these? They are living in my sump.


This may actually be a juvenile Stomatella, but I've never seen one with the white dots. That's usually an indicator it's something else...like, a Synaptocochlea. The shells are extremely variable, but often show white dots or dashes. They are in the same family as the Stomatella snails, but are smaller as adults and tend to be more cryptic.

http://www.gastropods.com/7/Shell_2007.shtml

Cheers,


Don


pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2014, 05:39 AM   #3879
Jnickles85
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertony View Post
Brittlestar for sure, perhaps not so micro. I have a few of these in my tank. One has stuffed itself into a hole under my Kenya tree and persists in irritating it. I tried to lure it out to find that it was quite large. With legs spread, approx. 2 - 2 1/2" in diameter. Looked much smaller when just the tips of its legs stuck out, much like in your photo.
I agree on the not so micro. I pulled a rock out last night to tone down my aqua scape and dipped it in so RO to make sure I wasn't going to lose any little guys. Well one fell out of the rock and he was an easy 2 inches with his legs spread. I must have quite a few of these guys in my tank.


Jnickles85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2014, 07:47 AM   #3880
Krispifsu
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 31
Hi - could I get an ID on this growing on a few small area of my rock. It looks tube like with small feathery like hair that moves with the flow. They seem to be gorwing in small patches but have taken months to get to the size of this one.

Thanks!

Sorry in advance for poor IPhone pics....


Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.9 KB, 79 views)
Krispifsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2014, 07:48 AM   #3881
Krispifsu
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 31
And a close-up...


Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.6 KB, 86 views)
Krispifsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2014, 08:22 AM   #3882
Krispifsu
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 31
One more - thinking this is a ball anemone as it has tiny white balls on the tips of its tentacles.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.5 KB, 83 views)
Krispifsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2014, 10:18 AM   #3883
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member
 
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 17,355
The first two pics are colonial hydroids. They will sting anything growing nearby. The third is a psuedocorynactis, ball anemone.


__________________
Adrienne

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2014, 06:03 AM   #3884
JR8999
Registered Member
 
JR8999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 345
I don't know if I'm seeing things but... I spotted a tiny jellyfish(?) like creature that was floating along in my tank. I could not get a pic as it was very tiny and it was a slave to the current moving around the tank. I will try to describe as best I can. It was round, maybe 1/8" in diameter with a stem(?) in the middle sort of like a mushroom would have. It pulsated just like a jellyfish. Unlike a hydroid jelly it did not have any trailing tentacles. It was a translucent ivory color. My clowns kept approaching it then seemed to recognize it and move away very uninterested. I have not found any unrecognizable critters in the 6 months I have had the DT expcept for some copods early on, so I'm very curious. Hopefully someone out there can give it a shot to ID??
Thanks!


__________________
56g Column DT, 11g Aqueon sump with/socks, Lifereef overflow, Aqumaxx HOB-1 Skimmer, 2 Jaebo heaters, DT: 2 OC Clowns and 1 Royal Gramma along with various corals grown from frags.

Current Tank Info: 56g Column
JR8999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2014, 12:19 PM   #3885
cloak
Moved On
 
cloak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 14,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR8999 View Post
I don't know if I'm seeing things but... I spotted a tiny jellyfish(?) like creature that was floating along in my tank. I could not get a pic as it was very tiny and it was a slave to the current moving around the tank. I will try to describe as best I can. It was round, maybe 1/8" in diameter with a stem(?) in the middle sort of like a mushroom would have. It pulsated just like a jellyfish. Unlike a hydroid jelly it did not have any trailing tentacles. It was a translucent ivory color. My clowns kept approaching it then seemed to recognize it and move away very uninterested. I have not found any unrecognizable critters in the 6 months I have had the DT expcept for some copods early on, so I'm very curious. Hopefully someone out there can give it a shot to ID??
Thanks!
Check these out.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/jellyidfaqs.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/jellyfishfaqs.htm

HTH.


cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2014, 05:19 AM   #3886
LadyDave
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Hello!! Can anyone tell me if these are aptasia or some kind of polyp?? It's the two small brown, pencil head sized things in the centre of the picture - either side of a white blob and above an orange-ish blob. They're in my coral QT so just need to know if I should remove them and if so, the best way to do this?? Thanks in advance!


LadyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2014, 05:38 AM   #3887
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member
 
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 17,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDave View Post
Hello!! Can anyone tell me if these are aptasia or some kind of polyp?? It's the two small brown, pencil head sized things in the centre of the picture - either side of a white blob and above an orange-ish blob. They're in my coral QT so just need to know if I should remove them and if so, the best way to do this?? Thanks in advance!



__________________
Adrienne

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2014, 05:59 AM   #3888
LadyDave
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Thanks for quoting, Sugar! Don't know if it will help with the ID but when I prod them with a stick they close up into a bulb shape.


LadyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2014, 10:41 AM   #3889
cloak
Moved On
 
cloak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 14,854
Are they hard or soft to the touch? If they're hard, they might be Hidden Cup corals. If they're soft, maybe a Palythoa? It's kind of hard to tell from those pictures.


cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2014, 09:38 PM   #3890
Jmclauchlan
Registered Member
 
Jmclauchlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mass
Posts: 10
Looking to get an ID on this little guy. Got a new edition for the take and he came along for the ride. Any ideas.....




Jmclauchlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 02:25 AM   #3891
Deitta
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Posts: 4
need help identifying these...

Pic 2 is on the rock by the Tardis door after contracting in it's tentacles. There is another group less than 2" under the water that are larger. When extended the arms are very thin, see thru and with small white dot at end. At first mistook it for a fungus, now think may be a anemone?

Pic 3 are the white - shell pink ... things? They have holes near the middle of each "plop" and occasionally ones near the substrate and in shade will grow a flexible strand that can grow up to 2". They are not rock hard but also don't give easily to prodding and don't migrate. Chimney sponge of some sort maybe?

Pic 4 is what we think is a oenone fulgida... but not sure and have been unsuccessful at getting a decent pic or capturing the darn thing. We believe it to be up to 1' long! In Pic 5 you will see the homemade trap with bloodworm bait.

Pic 5 is just for fun to show off the hardscaping. 55 gal, both HOB and Canister filter, 6 LED strips, 1 med & 1 small power head. Tons of feather dusters, at least (!) 20 brittle stars which the largest is 2" across, one Royal Gamma, 1 Bangai and ! Yellow Tank, snails, hermit crabs, mystery stars which the largest is maybe 1/4" wide and pineapple sponges.

Thank you!


Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (56.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 3.jpg (82.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 4.jpg (37.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 5.jpg (57.8 KB, 74 views)
Deitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 09:57 AM   #3892
LadyDave
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Thanks Cloak - yeah I know my pictures aren't great, sorry! Was the best I could get with my phone cos they're so small! I'm not keen on touching unknown stuff with my fingers but after proding these with a turkey baster is say they're definitely hard - the baster scraped on the closed up things like they were stones. So I take it they're ok to keep then??


LadyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 10:00 AM   #3893
LadyDave
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Pix & ID: Critters that come in your rocks: the good and the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmclauchlan View Post
Looking to get an ID on this little guy. Got a new edition for the take and he came along for the ride. Any ideas.....


Looks like a little brittle star to me. I found two in my coral QT that hitchhiked in on one coral. Have never seen them since tho cool little guys - wish I knew if they were still around.


LadyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 10:47 AM   #3894
cloak
Moved On
 
cloak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 14,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deitta View Post
Pic 2 is on the rock by the Tardis door after contracting in it's tentacles. There is another group less than 2" under the water that are larger. When extended the arms are very thin, see thru and with small white dot at end. At first mistook it for a fungus, now think may be a anemone?

Pic 3 are the white - shell pink ... things? They have holes near the middle of each "plop" and occasionally ones near the substrate and in shade will grow a flexible strand that can grow up to 2". They are not rock hard but also don't give easily to prodding and don't migrate. Chimney sponge of some sort maybe?

Pic 4 is what we think is a oenone fulgida... but not sure and have been unsuccessful at getting a decent pic or capturing the darn thing. We believe it to be up to 1' long! In Pic 5 you will see the homemade trap with bloodworm bait.

Pic 5 is just for fun to show off the hardscaping. 55 gal, both HOB and Canister filter, 6 LED strips, 1 med & 1 small power head. Tons of feather dusters, at least (!) 20 brittle stars which the largest is 2" across, one Royal Gamma, 1 Bangai and ! Yellow Tank, snails, hermit crabs, mystery stars which the largest is maybe 1/4" wide and pineapple sponges.

Thank you!
The second picture looks like a ball-tipped anemone. (Psuedocorynactis) The third picture is a sponge of some sort. I'm not too sure about the fourth one though.


cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 05:47 PM   #3895
Kraftyberg
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1
Is this an amphipod?

image.jpg


Kraftyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 06:06 PM   #3896
cloak
Moved On
 
cloak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 14,854
Yes.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/index.php


cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 06:30 PM   #3897
Jmclauchlan
Registered Member
 
Jmclauchlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mass
Posts: 10
Thanks


Jmclauchlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2014, 11:24 PM   #3898
Borntovin
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 47
You can notice 3 mushroom like stuff Is this a good or bad? And what about tiny dust like all over the rock?


Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.5 KB, 79 views)
Borntovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2014, 11:10 AM   #3899
cloak
Moved On
 
cloak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 14,854
Those little mushroom things look like Palythoas. The dust is probably just an accumulation of detritus. You might want to get a small power head and use this to blow the detritus off the rocks right before a water change.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/inverts


cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2014, 11:47 AM   #3900
JMorris271
Registered Member
 
JMorris271's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Foothills of SC
Posts: 2,010
green and zuzzy

DSC_1211.jpg
This is on some new seed rock I just got in yesterday. I have no idea if it is friend or foe. Can you help out? Thanks


JMorris271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
skimmer: good or bad Reefingman Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 3 06/09/2010 09:04 AM
Good idea or bad idea? spamin76 Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks 6 05/25/2004 07:25 AM
Good News and Bad News rvitko Tunze 4 12/05/2003 11:43 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.