Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2012, 05:06 PM   #26
phender
Registered Member

Alright, here are a few from my stable of failure.

I have had 3 that I kept for between 1.5 and 2 years. Two of the failures I blame on chemical warfare with a large purple H. crispa. The other I blame on a bad silverside.
All the anemones were kept 6" from the surface of the tank with a 150w 14000K Phoenix Metal Halide. Most of the flow was provided by a SQUID alternator on my return line. The return was a 3/4" tube that ended into a 1" return to disperse the flow a bit.
This one was a nice teal color. I used to see these a lot, but not much any more.
Here it is when I first got it.

Then 2 months later.

This one had pastel tips, purple on the outside, teal on the inside.
Full anemone

Close up of tentacles.

Here are the results of an experiment I did because a well known anemone scientist (not Calfo ) made the statement in a book/pamphlet that since clownfish anemones use light for food, if you feed them enough then they don't really need bright light.
I bought this 4" slightly bleached blue gig and put it under 130 watts of CF lighting and fed it 5 times a week.
Just bought

After 12 days. Regaining zooxanthellae, but no growth.

After 4 months. Color dull, tentacles shrunken and size down to 3".

About a month after moving it into the conditions described at the top of the page (under MH lights). Tentacles lengthened, size up to ~5"

About 6 months later and about 8" across. It doesn't look that big side to side because some of it is folded into the rocks.

The conclusion was; Yes, gigantea carpets need bright light to function properly. That is probably why you only find them in shallow water. Duh!

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.

Last edited by phender; 08/30/2012 at 05:20 PM.
phender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 05:07 PM   #27
phender
Registered Member

Here is a video of the flow over the carpets.

I think this is my favorite gig color. I bought this one even though I knew it wasn't in the best of health. Although its mouth was closed and the color was good, it was very "floppy" and didn't hold itself well at all. Sure 'nuff it didn't last a month, but it was very purty.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.

Last edited by phender; 08/30/2012 at 05:18 PM.
phender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 07:04 PM   #28
ravi197699
Registered Member

the are the best pics ever. what type of anemone are these ?

ravi197699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 07:21 PM   #29
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi197699 View Post
the are the best pics ever. what type of anemone are these ?
Stichodactyla gigantea

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2012, 08:01 PM   #30
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by phender View Post
I think this is my favorite gig color. I bought this one even though I knew it wasn't in the best of health. Although its mouth was closed and the color was good, it was very "floppy" and didn't hold itself well at all. Sure 'nuff it didn't last a month, but it was very purty.
This picture should go on this thread also:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...2204727&page=4

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 06:14 AM   #31
Deepsea2005
Registered Member

Thanks OrionN and Jamie1210.

Jamie1210, my Gig has tan at the bottom too, but not much.
I think because it's still small; It's about 7" diameter.
This is a video of it that I took last night.
This is how it looks in my tank under T5.

Deepsea2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 06:41 AM   #32
jscarlata
Registered Member

Heres mine, had him now for a few
Months. So far so good, no issues. It's under an 8 bulb t5, tek elite, 90g mixed reef.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346416602.707242.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346416726.541256.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346416815.891582.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346416844.003593.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346416870.905258.jpg

jscarlata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2012, 05:16 PM   #33
OrionN
Moved on

jscarlata's pictures

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/01/2012, 08:22 AM   #34
OrionN
Moved on

My Gigantea about 6 weeks in my tank. It is in a 30 g cube tank Temp set at 85 degree. FTS show the circulation. Lighted by a 150W DE MH (Pulserite 10,000 Kelvin bulb). FTS as taken today with flash while the other picture was without flash

Unread 09/01/2012, 08:38 AM   #35
Chris Lakies
Registered Member

Those are awesome nems!!

Current Tank Info: 50 breeder, 2 x XR15w pro (G4), 1 x MP40wQD, Apex JR, Ehiem-Jager 200 watt heater, Jabao DC6000 return, Reef Octo 150 elite SSS skimmer
Chris Lakies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 01:44 AM   #36
zzlonewolf
Registered Member

Hi everybody!

zzlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 07:10 AM   #37
OrionN
Moved on

zzlonewolf,
Very nice. Please tell a little about the anemone How long you have had it and about the tank you keep him in.

Unread 09/03/2012, 07:53 AM   #38
OrionN
Moved on

I am new at trying to post video. Here is a video of my Gigantea to show the flow pattern it is under. 30 g cube tank and water movement provide by a Vortech MP10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qbu0...ature=youtu.be

Unread 09/03/2012, 08:01 AM   #39
zzlonewolf
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
zzlonewolf,
Very nice. Please tell a little about the anemone How long you have had it and about the tank you keep him in.
This carpet is the home of 2 crownfish. It was a 2 1/2 months only 200L+ tank with DIY sump. I keep this anemone for 2 months only and luckily it seems to be adapted well to the new environment. It was 4 inch only when I get it at the beginning and I fed a small dried shimp every 3 days. It grows to 5 inch now so I stopped feeding for 2 weeks already as I think it grows too fast. I own a radionxr30. I use No3 reducing pellets and rowa. No3 is 2ppm using the red sea kit and Po4 is 0 using a hanna checker.

zzlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 08:32 AM   #40
OrionN
Moved on

I do think the green color is about the best looking color for Gigantea. Your is very nice and very bright. Good luck with him

Last edited by OrionN; 09/03/2012 at 08:50 AM.
Unread 09/04/2012, 06:10 PM   #41
TheOtherReefer
Pre-Internet Club

my blue gigantea, massive, sorry for the quality, it is as royal blue as it gets

click on picture below for video

Current Tank Info: Custom shallow (72"x24"x16") 100 gallon reef.
TheOtherReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2012, 06:12 PM   #42
TheOtherReefer
Pre-Internet Club

this is the photo I saw when it was for sale, same nem

Current Tank Info: Custom shallow (72"x24"x16") 100 gallon reef.
TheOtherReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2012, 06:47 PM   #43
OrionN
Moved on

That is one nice anemone

Unread 09/08/2012, 01:09 PM   #44
schprock
Premium Member

I got this anemone 1 week ago. Flow is provided by a tunze 6055 alternating from 30% for 15s and 100% for 10s during the day. Maximum reduced to 65% at night. The gigantea has been eating mysis and rods reef predator chunks. Haven't deflated at this time.

schprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2012, 01:21 PM   #45
OrionN
Moved on

Looking good schprock. Do you have a chunk of rock so he can attach to? IME, they don't like to attach to horizontal surface and may move up the wall of the aquarium on you. If they attach to a rock, you can easily move it from one spot to another.
No deflation after 1 week is a major, huge hurdle for these guys.

Unread 09/08/2012, 01:25 PM   #46
OrionN
Moved on

6 weeks in my tank, the anemone is doing really well.
Below are side by side pictures of the first week and this AM. I think he is out of the wood. If he died now it is all my fault not due to stress and injury from before I got him

Close up

Full view

Unread 09/08/2012, 01:45 PM   #47
schprock
Premium Member

Here is a pic of the other side. Just can't see the rock from the first picture. The foot is between the rock and sand.

Just fed a few pieces of small shrimp about 1/4" in size and mysis. I am a firm believer of feeding small pieces. The previous anemone I had regurgitated silversides and larger pieces of whole shrimp, then rapidly decline. I am suspicious that undigested food attracts bacteria into the gut. These bacterial population attacks the host anemone that already has an already weak immune system from shipping stress. The subsequent inflation/deflation cycle may be the anemones attempt to flush out the bacteria and bacterial toxins.

schprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2012, 05:47 PM   #48
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schprock View Post
Just fed a few pieces of small shrimp about 1/4" in size and mysis. I am a firm believer of feeding small pieces. The previous anemone I had regurgitated silversides and larger pieces of whole shrimp, then rapidly decline. I am suspicious that undigested food attracts bacteria into the gut. These bacterial population attacks the host anemone that already has an already weak immune system from shipping stress. The subsequent inflation/deflation cycle may be the anemones attempt to flush out the bacteria and bacterial toxins.
I also am a firm believe in small pieces of food.

I hadn't thought about your explanation before, but it makes sense given what we know about these creatures (and how sensitive they seem to be to bacterial infections). Thanks for sharing - I love it when I hear something that makes me think differently about a subject

Unread 09/09/2012, 06:16 PM   #49
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

add me to the list: feed small foods to anemones!

Bonsai I heard a rumor you have video of S. gigantea in situ from a recent trip.. Can you post a link or direct me?

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2012, 06:18 PM   #50
OrionN
Moved on

I agree that unless the anemone is healthy and able to digest the food, feeding them is detrimental to their healthy. Once they are able to handle the food, feeding will really help them recover and growth.

schprock, keep us update. Your anemone is a beauty. Good luck with him.