Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Finding_Nemo
Registered Member

Catching Damsels in a reef tank

Well, everybody would say it is impossible and cannot be done unless you remove all the rocks and 3 quarters of the water.
These little devils are smart, fast and intelligent to not be caught by a net or using other procedures.
I was reading on the net some technics used by other reefers and none of them worked; net, fishing, open bottle, by hand. Some of them were even willing to pay 200$ for everyone who could catch these devils;
Well here we go; i have a black "devil" who was the king of the tank until 3 hours ago. Any other fish was his servant, it started today when i have added a Koran Angel which was seriously beaten by the Damsel. Here is when i decided that it must be caught immediately. All my rocks are well arranged with corals and lots of hiding places. Removing everything was not the solution to me.
So i have taken an aquarium glass top with two mobile parts and i have introduced this one in the water in the front of the tank where there's no rocks and the free space was allowing me to create a corridor where fishes could go in. I start feeding the fished but keeping my hand on the mobile part, First time the damsel went right into the corridor to the food and i have closed the glass right away after it. So the sucker remained stocked there but with some other fish together. I have placed my net in the opening to taking out from the enclosed space but unfortunately i probably moved the glass and he escaped. I have repeated the procedure but the second time he won't go in. I had to open the glass from the other side and by my surprise he has came in. Again he escaped while trying to catch him insight. The third time i had to wait over 6 hours. I could not make him to come in the opening ( i think they are very smart!) however in the night time i start feeding again, he was coming only in the beginning of the space but then running out faster than i could slide the glass. However using my other hand i managed to scar ed him from the back so he got in. This time successful caught and removed. Now he is waiting nicely in a recipient to be carried away to the new LFS.
I hope this helps;
Here's a pic.

Note very important, you must do it in the first try, otherwise they are learning fast and second time would be hard to make them go in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0795.jpg (62.2 KB, 558 views)
Finding_Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 11:40 PM   #2
OcEaN-BluE
Registered Member

Brilliant

Current Tank Info: 170 gal corner hexagonal L Tank. with add-on 30 gal. Also a 30 gal. cube.
OcEaN-BluE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 11:49 PM   #3
kraut3253
Registered Member

I caught all 5 blue devils in about 3 hours once by placing half a dozen pint glasses all over the reef rock with the openings facing outwards. The glasses are of course nearly invisible under the water. Then I sat back and waited. When a damsel came out in front of the glasses, I would walk up to the tank and the damsel would try to scoot into the rocks. If he swam into one of the glasses he would not come out because he would have to swim at me to do so. I then just put my hand over the end of the glass and lifted it out. It worked quite well.

kraut3253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Chris27
Registered Member

Sure beats using explosives or spear-guns -

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2010, 09:36 AM   #5
brascal1
Registered Member

I have heard of folks actually fishing for them with very tiny fish hooks and having success!

brascal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2010, 04:51 PM   #6
vegaskid11
vegasreefers.com

Great idea

vegaskid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2010, 04:58 PM   #7
revclyburn
Registered Member

I used the funnel part of a Python gravel cleaner. It's clear and long. Dropped some dried mysis shrimp in it, and waited. They would swim in, half way, then a little further until they just couldn't help themselves and went for the bait. All I had to do was tap on the glass or put my hand in front of the funnel and they stayed in. I raised the funnel, put a net under it,and just let it sit in the tank until i could get them back to the star. Works all the time, and with most every fish that's small enough to get in it.

Rev

comes wisdom through the awful grace of God"

Robert F. Kennedy

Current Tank Info: One day I'll get it right. 55 Gallon, reef, softies, gorgorians, ricordia, EVENTUALLY!
revclyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 09:19 PM   #8
spamreefnew
Registered Member

i tell everyone to go to the bait shop and ask for "shiner" hooks and fish them out with the tiny hooks and favorite treat as bait. it works every time and is less stress full to fish than bashing them with a net IMO

spamreefnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2010, 02:05 PM   #9
cdness
Premium Member

I like the explosives method...

I tore my tank down to almost nothing to catch mine. He cost me about $250 in fish he killed before I was able to catch him.

I tried fish traps, nets, glasses, night time stalking, food luring, and almost tried a little voodoo as well. Stupid fish eluded my every attempt until I tore it down and used that white mesh stuff to section off the side of the tank he was on. I actualy didn't think I caught him until I looked in the bucket. He was stuck in a rock hole when I removed the rock from the water...

Damsels are evil...

cdness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2010, 10:24 PM   #10
wld1783
Premium Member

I'm a fan of the size 22 fish hook from bass pro shop.

I was tempted to drop my wifes hair dryer in there to get thoes evil fish.
I passed on the fact of too much collateral damage.

Bill

Current Tank Info: 570 Soft/LPS, 330SPS & 440 refug
wld1783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 12:34 AM   #11
johnmaloney
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
Sure beats using explosives or spear-guns -

they should make the green fish nets clear instead. fish really can't see clear nets all that well and it is easier to chase them into the net. Why theu spend extra to die them, I have no idea...

johnmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2010, 10:29 AM   #12
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

I am also a fish hook fan.. just gotta make sure you don't have too many fish

deangelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2010, 02:13 PM   #13
hilgert
Excessive Minimalist

I have used the tiny fish hook and thin fishing line method for years. Put a small piece of shrimp on it. Damsels are so greedy they are always the first ones to steal food, which in this case works to your advantage.

After the 3rd or 4th damsel caught they do get a bit suspicious...

hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2010, 02:20 PM   #14
tran383
Registered Member

Here's the method I used for my mean maroon clownfish:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805777

tran383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2010, 11:35 PM   #15
jizzy
Registered Member

i have a aquapod 24 that had 2 damsels in it i took them out because i think they liked the taste of my new fire mushrooms. I just set my green net in the tank for about 10 minutes then feed them a little flake food. when they was eating i snagged then both. it worked great.
hope it helps somebody. but next time i gotta try the fishing idea. even sounds like fun !

jizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 12:24 PM   #16
betoballer1
Registered Member

Just get one of those big nets.. I catch them in less then 10 min

betoballer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 01:56 PM   #17
Townes
Registered Member

when all else fails

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forum...al-device.html

Townes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 09:22 AM   #18
PSU REEFER
Registered Member

Took me 3 weeks to get my Jewel damesl but finally he went in the "large" fish trap--pretty much he was starving as thats the only place food was being keep. Never again w/ I get a damsel.

Current Tank Info: 500g w/ a few fish & little coral, but that will change. 4 MH(400w-2-10K & 2-20k), 4-6' VHO, CL thru eurobracing, 2-Tunze's, OCT 5000ext., RKE, 2-550's LFR(GFO & Carbon), 2-part, and more equipment to add down the road.
PSU REEFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 02:02 PM   #19
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I just left a net in the tank close to the front glass. and everytime I walk by, I just check if the damsel is in front of the net, sure enough after a couple days, I spotted it in front of the net and I just quickly hold the net against the front glass then tap the glass for it to swim into the net. I suppose it is the same principle as other methods.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2010, 01:22 PM   #20
lostintheocean
Registered Member

i built a fish trap and cought mine in a two days i was only watching a couple hours a day while i was doing other thgins, it was pretty, he was the last fish to go in the trap though

lostintheocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2010, 08:36 PM   #21
crawfish in tx
Registered Member

i have removed rosks many times to catch a trouble maker,

crawfish in tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 09:54 AM   #22
GOLFREEFER
Registered Member

I just starved mine for a couple days then fed them flake that stayed at the surface and snatched them while they where gourging themselves on food.

GOLFREEFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 10:13 AM   #23
luv4qt1004
Registered Member

i just use the gatorade bottle, but cutting the top off, and making a fish trap out of it! caught sooo many fishes that way!

luv4qt1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 06:54 PM   #24
Steve Bitter
Registered Member

Depending on the fish, mantis shrimp traps can work pretty well. You can walk away from the tank so that they aren't spooked by your shadow, and you don't have to worry about them escaping. I caught a blenny that way, and didn't have to disturb my reef. It's a little trickier if the fish you're after isn't the most aggressive feeder in the tank, but oftentimes that's the fish we're trying to remove anyway.

This one is the one I have. The fish needs to be pretty small obviously, but a lot of damsels would still fit in here.

Steve Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2010, 02:49 AM   #25
ChRiS45
Registered Member

What works for me is to wait until late at night, early morning lights off of course, then when i decide to get ready to go in the tank i turn the lights on, sometimes the fish float out from the rocks within a few minutes totally asleep and are very easy to net when their in the open.
Worked for me several times and most recently my very large very aggressive orange line chromis.

Current Tank Info: 72g reef 29g long sump/fuge, Vertex In-100
ChRiS45 is offline   Reply With Quote