Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2013, 01:20 PM   #1351
owenspackman
Registered Member

I'm with Mike here. I paid extra for low iron glass on mine and most likely wouldn't do it again.

owenspackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2013, 02:01 PM   #1352
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenspackman View Post
I'm with Mike here. I paid extra for low iron glass on mine and most likely wouldn't do it again.
The savings will be well spent on other items. You and Bill better start eating your wheaties because Im going to need some help getting this one in the house!!!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2013, 02:21 PM   #1353
owenspackman
Registered Member

I'll be there. But if you've seen photos on my build thread, I'm not the biggest guy!

Getting closer to deciding dimensions?

I was amazing at the weigh difference between a 1/2" 120 and a 3/4" 180. My fiancé and I can manage the 120, but myself and 3 other guys only just managed the 180.....it was a close call.

Unread 08/13/2013, 02:25 PM   #1354
SPotter
Registered Member

there will be strength in numbers and a lot of suction cups!!!!! I am close to deciding on the dimensions. My front door is only 36" wide and cant alter it to make it wider. If I go with a 96x36x24 I would have to flip the tank on back to get it thru the door. At 700lbs its going to be hard enough to just lift it up never mind flipping, carrying it thru the door and then flip it again before putting it on the stand. Im going to call the lfs down here and see if they have used any movers in the past to deliver large tanks. If I cant find professional movers to do it I may have to go with a 30" wide tank.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 08/13/2013, 06:50 PM   #1355
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
there will be strength in numbers and a lot of suction cups!!!!! I am close to deciding on the dimensions. My front door is only 36" wide and cant alter it to make it wider. If I go with a 96x36x24 I would have to flip the tank on back to get it thru the door. At 700lbs its going to be hard enough to just lift it up never mind flipping, carrying it thru the door and then flip it again before putting it on the stand. Im going to call the lfs down here and see if they have used any movers in the past to deliver large tanks. If I cant find professional movers to do it I may have to go with a 30" wide tank.
Steve - I hired professional movers and they seem to charge a premium for moving tanks. A couple of places would not even take my business after I told them how much my 180 weighed and that it there were lots of steps. My 180 was close a close call a few times. Keep in mind any stairs and or rounding corners. I was so nervous when they had to stand it on its side to make it down the stairs. I saw you mention suction cups. The rental places up here did not have any that would safely hold the amount of weight of the tank so try to prepare in advance for that as well. Good luck man!

Unread 08/13/2013, 07:20 PM   #1356
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
Steve - I hired professional movers and they seem to charge a premium for moving tanks. A couple of places would not even take my business after I told them how much my 180 weighed and that it there were lots of steps. My 180 was close a close call a few times. Keep in mind any stairs and or rounding corners. I was so nervous when they had to stand it on its side to make it down the stairs. I saw you mention suction cups. The rental places up here did not have any that would safely hold the amount of weight of the tank so try to prepare in advance for that as well. Good luck man!
Hey Henry....yeah Ive been looking around for suction cups already. If I cant find a mover to do this I will be making an investment in some heavy duty suction cups. There are a few granite and marble stores near me....I might ask them if I could rent their suction cups.

Unread 08/13/2013, 08:14 PM   #1357
theReefKing
Registered Member

I think just the three of us will be fine.
Steve and I basically brought my 210 in with just the two of us.
What's a little extra glass between friends....

I have also rented cups locally for a different move, but if you buy some I'll soften the blow by renting from you when I need 'em.

In Progress (Check it out, Large Reef Tanks) - The Tank that REEF CENTRAL Built - 450 gal display, 800 gal volume

Current Tank Info: Current Tanks - 210g, 180g, 110g, 65g FRAG, RedSea 250, RedSea 130, Solana 34g, 29 BioCube HQI (6 of them)
theReefKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2013, 08:18 PM   #1358
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theReefKing View Post
I think just the three of us will be fine.
Steve and I basically brought my 210 in with just the two of us.
What's a little extra glass between friends....

I have also rented cups locally for a different move, but if you buy some I'll soften the blow by renting from you when I need 'em.
your crazy!!!!! dont forget there will be 4-6 steps we will need to go up first. From that point it will be a breeze. One thru the front door the stand is only another 12-15 feet away.

Unread 08/14/2013, 07:13 AM   #1359
roni
Premium Member

Quote:
your crazy!!!!! dont forget there will be 4-6 steps we will need to go up first. From that point it will be a breeze. One thru the front door the stand is only another 12-15 feet away.
I hope you guys are strong. We used 8 guys moving my 270 into place.

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2013, 07:31 PM   #1360
SPotter
Registered Member

Made the 1st purchase for the new build......

Nothing exciting but since I haven't purchased anything fish related in several months, it got me excited!!!

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-...tml#RR-APEX-50

I have been pricing out different tanks from different builders. Two things I am having a hard time deciding on is the width of the tank and the height of the stand. The room the tank will be in has 10ft ceilings so theres a lot of height to work with. I have decided that the max height of the tank that I will go with will be 26". I really want to do another tank that is 36" wide but if I do that the max height on the stand I can go with is 34". If go with a 30" wide tank then I can go higher with the stand. So, which should I do....wider tank with lower height stand or taller stand with only a 30" wide tank?

Unread 09/02/2013, 08:15 PM   #1361
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Why does the width of the tank effect the height of the stand?

Unread 09/02/2013, 08:43 PM   #1362
SPotter
Registered Member

My front door is only 36" wide. I've asked to make it bigger but that's not happening. If the tank is 30" wide the stand can be as high as I want it and I can walk the stand thru the door without flipping the stand.

Unread 09/02/2013, 09:30 PM   #1363
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Ahh stupid me! The stand is the issue not the really the tank. There an age build where they made a stand in two pieces for the guy. Or you can have a welder bring it in two and then just weld it together.

This is generally not an issue and I know I've asked you before so not being annoying but there has got to be someway to have anther entrance to this house that is bigger than 36". Maybe a double patio door or something? Not even for the tank but just stuff in general like appliances and furniture.

Last edited by Adamc1303; 09/02/2013 at 09:49 PM.
Adamc1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2013, 06:32 AM   #1364
SPotter
Registered Member

We have a 5ft french door that will lead out to our screened in deck on the back of the house but the entry door to the deck is only 36" Im leaning towards the 30" wide tank and then do a 40" high stand. Once the house is sheet rocked I'll go over and tape out the different dimensions and see what will look good.

Unread 09/03/2013, 09:57 AM   #1365
phk36
Registered Member

Steve, I follow many of the large build threads but do not post much. I have a 60x32x24 3/4 tank with an internal over flow. The stand is 40 inches high. The 40 inch is great for standing next to the tank and looking at it across the room but is harder to clean . I am short at 5' 8" so it is not easy for me but nice to look at. I would have used an external over flow if I had to do it again. I think if you went with the 36" deep tank you will be very happy. You can remove the sliding glass door and the stationary panel as they are made to come out to be replaced if need be. I replaced many in the past , you can ask the builder for some tips. You can get new suction cups at Grainger for around $60 new I would get the woods with the metal handle not the plastic.
You can remove the deck rail section and put it back and if you move just reverse every thing. I have two cups you can use you just have to pay the shipping to you and back . The 36" deep will be so much nicer for larger fish to swim and you can have killer rock work as well . Good luck , Pete

Current Tank Info: 204 mixed Two Radion pro 3 one Kessil 360 Bubble King Supermarin 250 Apex 114 watt UV
phk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2013, 10:15 AM   #1366
Mark...
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
I would have used an external over flow if I had to do it again. Pete
Not to hijack, but curious why you would change from an internal to external overflow?

Current Tank Info: 180
Mark... is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2013, 10:54 AM   #1367
phk36
Registered Member

Internal with two 1 1/2 drains and a 1 inch return you have a 17 inch trapezoid so lost room in the tank

Current Tank Info: 204 mixed Two Radion pro 3 one Kessil 360 Bubble King Supermarin 250 Apex 114 watt UV
phk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2013, 11:06 AM   #1368
Mark...
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
Internal with two 1 1/2 drains and a 1 inch return you have a 17 inch trapezoid so lost room in the tank
I see, I guess its always a trade off. Tank space vs against the wall space.

Current Tank Info: 180
Mark... is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2013, 02:35 PM   #1369
SPotter
Registered Member

One of the things I liked the most about the external overflow on my last tank was that it was so easy to clean out since I had access to the tank from my fish room. I don't think I would do an external if the tank was an in wall build with access from another room.

Unread 09/03/2013, 10:28 PM   #1370
Alex T.
Registered Member

Quote:
We have a 5ft french door that will lead out to our screened in deck on the back of the house but the entry door to the deck is only 36" Im leaning towards the 30" wide tank and then do a 40" high stand. Once the house is sheet rocked I'll go over and tape out the different dimensions and see what will look good.
Haven't been on your thread in a while, but since I've got some construction experience I thought I'd chime in...

Get the dimensions you want and bring the tank in before the door is installed. Without the jamb and door frame in the way you'll have more than enough room to have your 36" width, and any height you want. Put the tank in the first room that's drywalled on a 2x4 frame with locking caster wheels. Then, build yourself a plywood box and cover the tank, screwing the box to the 2x4 moving cart. Lock the wheels down, and spray paint "Fragile, glass aquarium" on all the sides. The tank will be safe behind 3/4" plywood and will be next to impossible to tip over. If it's in the way of any planned construction, unlock the wheels and roll it wherever you want. Then, when you need it to be lifted to its' final resting place just wheel it to the right spot, move it into place and disassemble the cart. To protect wood floors (if they're installed before you move the tank) get yourself some roofing paper and lay it on the route you'll be moving the tank through. On top of the paper lay a couple sheets of lauan underlayment so you don't damage the floors from the weight of the tank on 4 wheels.

Just sayin'.

Current Tank Info: Currently in reboot mode
Alex T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2013, 04:05 PM   #1371
nightOwl
Premium Member

Any new construction pictures?

Unread 09/04/2013, 05:25 PM   #1372
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T. View Post
Haven't been on your thread in a while, but since I've got some construction experience I thought I'd chime in...

Get the dimensions you want and bring the tank in before the door is installed. Without the jamb and door frame in the way you'll have more than enough room to have your 36" width, and any height you want. Put the tank in the first room that's drywalled on a 2x4 frame with locking caster wheels. Then, build yourself a plywood box and cover the tank, screwing the box to the 2x4 moving cart. Lock the wheels down, and spray paint "Fragile, glass aquarium" on all the sides. The tank will be safe behind 3/4" plywood and will be next to impossible to tip over. If it's in the way of any planned construction, unlock the wheels and roll it wherever you want. Then, when you need it to be lifted to its' final resting place just wheel it to the right spot, move it into place and disassemble the cart. To protect wood floors (if they're installed before you move the tank) get yourself some roofing paper and lay it on the route you'll be moving the tank through. On top of the paper lay a couple sheets of lauan underlayment so you don't damage the floors from the weight of the tank on 4 wheels.

Just sayin'.
Thanks for chiming in Alex. That was one of the first questions I asked them when I found out I couldn't make any changes to the door width. They wont allow me to have it delivered prior to closing. I even offered to have them sign a damage waiver but they won't go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
Any new construction pictures?
Funny you should ask Henry! I've been out at the house the last two nights dealing with some issues involving some other structural changes that they would allow and we paid for but were not done.

I think I got it straightened out so here are some pictures.....

Future site of the tank and its already got water on the floor....

Back yard view.....

Unread 09/04/2013, 06:02 PM   #1373
owenspackman
Registered Member

Quote:

I think I got it straightened out so here are some pictures.....

Future site of the tank and its already got water on the floor....

Back yard view.....

here are the photos so everyone can see them. Tapatalk doesn't play nice!!

By the way, my opinion is, go as big as you can with the tank, just have the cabinet built inside the house like i did, just means you can never move!!

Unread 09/04/2013, 06:15 PM   #1374
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenspackman View Post
here are the photos so everyone can see them. Tapatalk doesn't play nice!!

By the way, my opinion is, go as big as you can with the tank, just have the cabinet built inside the house like i did, just means you can never move!!
Just remember you said that when you're helping me carry a 700lb tank in my house.

Unread 09/04/2013, 06:46 PM   #1375
Mike S
Registered Member

Looks like the house is moving along nicely. You'll be moving in before you know it.

Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote