Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/02/2015, 11:26 PM   #76
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I leave the mp10 at about 50%, and before a water change I run it at 100% for a while to kick up as much detritus as possible.

I run it on Orange reef Crest mode, so it ramps up and down and mixes up flow nicely.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2015, 01:59 PM   #77
homer1475
Registered Member

Interesting, I'm running my 2 at 30% pulse mode all day long. I haven't played with any other modes yet. Anything over 30% and it just blows my sand around.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 07:57 AM   #78
JakeK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Interesting thread on flasher/fairy wrasses and firefish living in harmony.

The commonality, which I know to be true in general, for success with the mix, is that the firefish be established first. I'll hold off on the helfrichi for now.

I may pull the male mccosker when doing the tank transfer QTing of the two other wrases to make sure they're all reintroduced together. We'll see how it goes.
ReefWreak, I just saw this post. My helfrichi was the last fish in the tank. The McCosker had been in there for 2 weeks prior. No real problems. Now, I did introduce the firefish during my blackout period which i think helped all the fish. The firefish holds her own during feeding time too.

I have noticed on occasion the McCosker will pester the firefish to the point where she will go into her cave. Sometimes when that happens repeatedly the Shark-nose Goby will act as the policeman and chase the McCosker around the tank and then will sit on the rocks right next to the entrance of the firefish's cave until she comes out.

JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 08:07 AM   #79
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I'm glad to hear that the fishes are figuring it out, and not causing too much trouble.

Minor update:
I'm still working on taking pictures to post online, I just need an afternoon/evening to take the time to do the pictures right. I was holding off on announcing what corals I picked up from RaP until they were settled, but coraldrama, so I'll write a narrative, and follow up with pictures.

I did buy a flipper nano, and it's an EXCELLENT scraper/glass cleaner (though I'm not sure why it sounds like there is sand scratching when there is no sand on the fuzzy cleaning side). I scraped the coralline off the front of the tank with the flipper, and I would definitely recommend it for anyone who doesn't yet have a glass cleaner. Super easy to use, and convenient. Now I just need to save up for replacement blades down the road.

Also, frags keep falling all over the place after RaP. Fortunately no casualties yet, though an acropora horrida fell on top of my setosa colony, killing about half of it. I had never really experienced a coral directly falling on another and killing it, but that's what happened with this. Just overnight bleached half of the colony out. Oh well, Setosa is a fast grower. Glued the horrida back up, hopefully it stays. I thought it was solidly glued down, but those snails can wedge their way into crevices and knock anything over....

Also I came home to my ORA frogskin (nice sized piece too) fallen down in a rock, sitting on some zoos. Hopefully the zoos didn't sting it, it's a beautiful piece!

The ORA Purple Plasma frag I picked up at RaP I wasn't sure if it had AEFW so it was my first test of using Bayer Advanced dip. It looked like hell before the dip from all of the stress, and using my macro lens as a microscope, I tried to see if there were any AEFWs (I could post pics if people were interested). I'm pretty sure it was clean, but dipped anyway. New experience, had to be very careful to not introduce any of the dip into the tank since it's poisonous to fishes. The polyps were slow to come out on the coral, but i'm seeing some fluorescence out of where I glued the coral down (new growth I think), and most of the polyps are out now. It looks like a happy little coral.

Also, picked up a Hanna 736 phosphorous checker, and testing it yesterday, my phosphates were 18ppb, which works out to 0.055ppm, which is on the low side I think. I've been looking for ranges, and it sounds like people want to keep it right around 0.03 (0.0-0.07), so maybe I'm a bit high, but we'll see how the algae comes out.

I'm actually finally getting good growth on the dragon's breath algae, might even have to throw some out. I wonder if I should restart the refugium to lower phosphate levels? Not sure. Right now nothing is wrong, so I guess I should keep going as I am. I'm also feeding quite a bit more, and more of the frozen rods food, and dosing AAs twice a week now... I'm sure those contribute to phosphate. I'm still at 0 for nitrate.

Maybe I need to start dosing the KNO3 I picked up? I hadn't thought about that! Feeding KNO3 to increase nitrate, so that bacteria/biological processes use up more of the phosphates. Hmmm.

Last edited by ReefWreak; 07/09/2015 at 08:21 AM.
Unread 07/09/2015, 12:24 PM   #80
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but the LED combination I have set up is the following:

6 Cool White, 2 Neutral White, 10 Royal Blue, 1 Green, 1 Red, and 4 Violet, all solderless from RapidLED.

The 10 RB are on one channel, driving at 1300mA, and the other 14 are on the other channel running at 700mA (but they're both dimmed, independently; the listed current is their 100% max. They run at 45%).

Unread 07/09/2015, 12:44 PM   #81
richgoose
Registered Member

Really nice BioCube - it good to see more people tuning these up to keep and grow sps.

richgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 07:07 PM   #82
pdiehm
Registered Member

Here ya go Reef. New AI Prime light!

Unread 07/11/2015, 11:31 AM   #83
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Beautiful! Definitely looks like plenty of light. Thanks for the reminder/results! Any trouble with the mount for it?

Unread 07/12/2015, 04:55 AM   #84
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Corals are looking great!

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 08:38 AM   #85
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Thanks as always sahin!

Some pics to keep those interested. Some of the stuff from after Reef-a-Palooza.

Checking my new ORA Purple Plasma for AEFW. Everything was third party vendors, so have to be careful! This was my only questionable one. Everything else looked good. I did a Bayer advanced dip, just to be careful, and the coral looked a little ****ed afterwards, but its nice and happy now a week later. I can't wait for it to actually color up (still brown).

And everyone's favorite, a Strawberry ShortCake acro!

And lastly, an updated FTS. The ORA Frogskin acro sitting in the middle of the tank on top of a bed of zoanthids wasn't there intentionally. It fell down from it's higher up spot, and I didn't notice because of it's orientation. Needless to say, it's back to a spot not invaded by zoanthids now.

Let me know if anyone is interested in a comprehensive list of additions and/or total stock list of corals. Lots these days!

Unread 07/12/2015, 02:07 PM   #86
homer1475
Registered Member

And I thought my tank was full!!

Very nice looking reef, reef!

Unread 07/13/2015, 07:40 AM   #87
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Thanks homer! Yea, it's really packed. The picture doesn't do it justice. I need to really get in there and take some nice macros again.

Also, my vortech went out yesterday. I bought it used for cheap, so I can't complain too much, however I think I'll try repairing it before replacing it. Its been running warmer and louder, so I wonder if the bearings are going. I've been reading the huge thread over on N-R, so I'll follow those instructions to replace the bearings, and see what happens.

If worse comes to worse, I'll spend $25 on bearings, that won't work, and I'll go buy either the new quiet drive (since I have the backup battery already, and vortechs are nice), or a gyre. Decisions decisions! Hopefully I fix it though.

I think this has actually happened before though, and I just let it cool down overnight and it was fine the next day (for another 3 months). Not a good thing, but whatever, again, used for great price, so as long as it doesn't catch fire or crack my glass, I'm ahead of the game.

I think the bearings are getting too hot or something and are seizing. The wet side spins freely, the dry side won't spin even if I help it by turning the wet side piece. I wonder if I need more spacers as well, if they're too close without additional spacers?

Unread 07/16/2015, 10:57 AM   #88
Jesfromdax
Registered Member

Hey great looking Tank, you've inspired this nano rookie over here with my build. Subbed to this thread and your youtube channel. Since we are both in NYC I was wondering what is your LFS? I was looking to pick up a pair of clowns for my first addition. The only proper LFS I can find in Manhattan is Pacific Aquariums down in Delancy near my wifes job. I was going to head out to Absolutely Fish in Clifton, NJ after checking them out at RaP but I'm going to hold off cause I'm waiting on a large order of equipment this weekend. Probably wont add fish till August, gives me a chance to tweak things. Anyways waiting on seeing more pics of your Acros as they start growing.

Jesfromdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 11:11 AM   #89
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesfromdax View Post
Hey great looking Tank, you've inspired this nano rookie over here with my build. Subbed to this thread and your youtube channel. Since we are both in NYC I was wondering what is your LFS? I was looking to pick up a pair of clowns for my first addition. The only proper LFS I can find in Manhattan is Pacific Aquariums down in Delancy near my wifes job. I was going to head out to Absolutely Fish in Clifton, NJ after checking them out at RaP but I'm going to hold off cause I'm waiting on a large order of equipment this weekend. Probably wont add fish till August, gives me a chance to tweak things. Anyways waiting on seeing more pics of your Acros as they start growing.
Thanks Jes, glad I could help/inspire!

My LFS has generally been Manhattan Aquariums on 37th and 10th. Their fish prices are great, coral prices tend to be a mixed bag, but everything in the store is top notch and healthy in my experience. After RaP I had a great experience with the guys at Sea Level Aquariums in Pinebrook, NJ. I try to explore all of the stores available. There is a huge one in the Bronx as well, and tons in Long Island, but they're all a haul, even for me in Queens (without a car that is, with a car they're probably 30-45 minutes). If you ever want to meet up at an LFS and talk tank, let me know.

I'm glad you're hungry for more pics, but as mentioned with my vortech out right now, my acros are quickly browning out. I suspect it's directly flow related, however a few factors that may be influencing it are nutrient levels from lack of flow (I'm seeing more green algae on the sand), a film blocking light on the surface (not getting much disruption of the surface right now with the tiny Korallia Nano, even towards the top of the tank), but again, probably just acros wanting flow for nutrient transport.

I just hope the colors bounce back quickly!

Unread 07/16/2015, 12:07 PM   #90
Jesfromdax
Registered Member

Wow can't believe I forgot about Manhattan Aquariums I went there like 3 years ago and my wife thought the prices were crazy, all she ever had growing up was a Betta in a bowl lol. Sorry to hear about your continuing flow issues. If you need temporary flow at a cheap price I recommend the Jebao's. The one on my tank has great flow. Good luck with everything.

Jesfromdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2015, 01:00 PM   #91
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Started worrying about coral health due to the lack of flow. Lots of browning, and some green algae on the glass, as well as the glass getting a pretty heavy dusting of green algae on it. When I stripped one of the original motor screws in the housing trying to replace the bearings on my vortech, it was the hay that broke the camel's back.

Couldn't take it any more, and went to the LFS (Manhattan Aquariums) and paid full Ecotech MAP + 8.875% sales tax.

This is tough for me. I'm a cheap bastard, and never pay retail for anything. This time I did. Coral/fish/tank health > cheap bastard.

HOLY MOLY IS THIS THING QUIET! Very nice hardware. I bought my last one used for a great deal, but it was always loud. This one is quiet. It's almost worth like $5/week (roughly the price of the pump) for hot much quieter it is than the old one!

So updates once things are figured out. No more corals in the meantime. Hopefully the tank will weather through this slight blip.

Unread 07/17/2015, 01:08 PM   #92
homer1475
Registered Member

I don't even hear my mp10's, they are super quiet. Right now the loudest thing in my tank is my ATO, I can hear the pump kick on. Since installing the mp10's(mine are the WQD models), I've been wondering what all the fuss is with noise?

Unread 07/17/2015, 01:49 PM   #93
ReefWreak
Registered Member

HAH. Lucky you. I took some videos, I'll post them in a bit. It's kind of scary the difference. My hood fans are also extremely loud. I've turned them off for the day to see how hot the tank gets without exhaust fans. I have replacement fans that I bought and didn't install yet, as well as fan controllers so I can always dial down the fan speeds.

oh man the tank is so quiet with the new vortech and the fan off...

The loud noise going in and out is the phone trying to remove background noise, but IT IS THE BACKGROUND NOISE.

Last edited by ReefWreak; 07/17/2015 at 02:03 PM.
Unread 07/17/2015, 01:59 PM   #94
homer1475
Registered Member

Yes the stock fans are super loud, even louder then the blowers on my pellet stove. So friggen annoying!!! I changed out the stocks for the silenX fans and they can't even be heard, and I have 4 of them running (2 replacing the stock, and 2 in the back where the back door normally is).

Unread 07/17/2015, 08:50 PM   #95
JakeK
Registered Member

I'm saving up for one of those MP10's. From what I've read, it's a worthy investment.

JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2015, 03:26 PM   #96
homer1475
Registered Member

Umm, your supposed to hang the dry side with the wire up. Mine would make a loud rattling noise then fall off if I hung them that way. After hanging them correctly, no noise and they have yet to fall off. Either way that noise is not normal.

Unread 07/20/2015, 07:36 AM   #97
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Umm, your supposed to hang the dry side with the wire up. Mine would make a loud rattling noise then fall off if I hung them that way. After hanging them correctly, no noise and they have yet to fall off. Either way that noise is not normal.
With both of my MP10s (new and old one) I've run them both in both orientations, and performance was identical. Performance should be identical. The internals are a perfect cylinder, and any imbalance would throw off performance in either orientation.

The reason that Ecotech recommends running with the cord above instead of below is to make it more secure in case it does lose magnetic cohesion, at least it's supported from above, so it's less likely to drop. Also, it's less likely to just drop straight to the floor.

But since you made the comment, I've mended my ways, and attached their zip tie anchor to the side glass, and suspended the cord from above. On $$$ equipment I'll do my best to treat it the best. Gotta keep it silent!

I was away for the weekend, corals are still brown. Even my beautiful ponape birdsnest is browned out, with some bleaching in the lower branches. I still blame lack of flow for a week. Scary to think that without intense flow this happens... Nothing else really changed, and I've checked all of the main parameters twice.

I turned the refugium light back on, hopefully I get some algae growth back there which will offset whatever it is that is browning out the corals. I suspect that despite testing no nitrate or phosphate, that the net nitrate/phosphate increased with lower flow because things settled more and didn't get skimmed out as well as before, so I'm hoping the algae will take care of that.

I also prepared my top off water last week with 2 tablespoons of kalkwasser powder and 15mL of vinegar, a supersaturation of kalk that adds some carbon dosing as well. My pH is already staying higher now than it was last week (it was dipping to 7.7 or so in the mornings, now it's bottoming out at 7.9). Ca and Alk are both stable around 380/8.6 (totally ballparking, but I do have records at home).

If my colors don't start coming back in the next two weeks or so, I might add a dosing pump with vodka. ALWAYS MORE TO DO!

Unread 07/21/2015, 12:01 PM   #98
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Tank is in recovery mode. Just thought I'd share some pics/thoughts.

T. Deresa that I picked up at Reef-a-palooza. It had quite a bit of bleaching, poor baby. It still has it's days, and I still say regularly that it looks like crap and like it's on it's last leg, about to die, but that's probably overstating the issue.

When I first got it (notice the bleaching in the middle tissue (white patches). It's doing a little better now, but still taking its time to recover completely and fill in entirely. No good recovery pics yet. It's also always slow to respond to light changes. For anyone familiar with clams, the sign of a healthy clam is how quickly they close when you shadow them. The maxima next to it closes quickly just fine. This guy always has been a bit slow. Hope he's okay.

A pic showing his color under flash and no lights on except camera flash (LG G3)

Unread 07/21/2015, 02:00 PM   #99
homer1475
Registered Member

OMG!!! is that a flame angel in a biocube? that inhumane!!. lol

Just picked up another one last night, after my first one died from ich. Can't wait 2 more days till my fish can go back in.

Unread 07/21/2015, 02:15 PM   #100
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
OMG!!! is that a flame angel in a biocube? that inhumane!!. lol
I wrote something wry and sarcastic, but deleted it because of a lot of reasons. As long as the angel is fat and happy, has plenty of swimming room, is able to freely graze on algae, and isn't being bothered by anything, I'm happy. I bought him with the clowns, and they've all been great so far.

The angel does pick a little bit at everything. I still have CRAZY PE on most of the acros, so I'm not worried, but he does pick on the clam mantles, which irritates them, but they seem okay otherwise.

Quote:
Just picked up another one last night, after my first one died from ich. Can't wait 2 more days till my fish can go back in.
Quote:
OMG!!! that inhumane!!. lol
It happens man, sorry to hear about that. I've been doing a lot of research of the TTM method (Tank Transfer Method) of quarantining fishes. Honestly, I've never QTed in my ~10 years of the hobby. Shame on me. Because I adore the fishes I have now (and don't currently have any pests like ich, to my knowledge), I've read up, and I think if I get any new fishes going forward, I'll do a TTM QT on them in 5g buckets.