Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2002, 10:23 PM   #1
jbittner
Registered Member

Unhappy Help amphipods eating dersa

My dersa clam is being attacked by amphipods. about 1/3 to 1/2 of the mantle of my 3" dersa is gone or not expanding. Help with any ideas. Also how can i get him to remove his foot from the rocks. If i can do this I could put him in a plastic cup in the tank to protect him.

jbittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2002, 08:41 AM   #2
delphinus
Registered Member

It seems to me they shouldn't be attacking the clam. Maybe the clam is distressed and they are capitalizing on its weakness.

How about if you put some food of some kind nearby the clam, a diversion, so that the 'pods will maybe go after that instead, while the clam tries to recover?

I don't really know what to suggest. I'm somewhat new to clams myself. So maybe someone else who REALLY knows what's going on can jump in here and suggest something.

Current Tank Info: 280g Reef, 65g FOWLR
delphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2002, 03:51 PM   #3
jim norris
Moved On

Jbittner,
Removing a clam from a rock is tricky but can be done. My way is I use a razor single edge and while I SLOWLY tilt the clam to one side I cut the tread. Amphipods??? After you remove the clam check it for those nasty (rice) snails. Look in the scales along the mantle and under the clam.
Jim

www.tanku.net

jim norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2002, 03:53 PM   #4
zenya
Premium Member

Do you mean that mantle is retracted inside of the shell ?How is incurent syphon looking?Is it gaping?If it does,it is probably stressed realy bad.Can you provide some more info about your tank,lights,water params.,inmates
I don't think pods are capable of eating healthy clam and you should check underside of your clam as well to see how bysall looks.

Good luck,
Gene.

zenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2002, 07:50 PM   #5
Guy
Registered Member

If amphipods are eating your clam they are most likely consuming dead tissue.

Current Tank Info: 900 Gallon Lagoonal Reef connected to a 155 gallon bowfront Fringe Reef
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote