Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Mohammed
Registered Member

Concentration of Premix Component 123 vs DIY Component 123.

Hi.

Been reading as much as possible on the forums and I note that some members say the DIY version is almost 2 times the concentration of the premix.

I am looking to switch over to the DIY Component 123 by next week but would like to have an idea on the starting dose. I just started with some sps and dont want to overshoot my alk at this stage.

I currently use RHF Recipe 2 and dose 70ml of both to maintain a Kh of 8.5 in 520lt. It got to 8.5 as I was trying to dial in my maintenance dose but reducing dosage weekly to try to bring it to 7.0.

If i go by the product guide for the premix component 2+ the premix says 50ml raises kh by 1.3 dkh. It is silent on the volume but based on the 1+ and 3+ im assuming its also in 100lt.

My plan of action is to allow my kh to fall daily without dosing till i hit 7.0 as im currently using nsw for wc wich has an alk of 7.0 and then begin with the AF DIY Component 123.

As i will be testing daily im sure i can establish a trend on my daily drop.

The burning question for me is do I devide my requirements by 2 for starting dose as we have established the 50ml to raise 1.3 dkh in
100lt is for the Premix and the DIY is almost double concentration.

I will match the dose of 1+ and 3+ to my 2+ dose.

The other product im interested in is the ABVE. My nitrate is currently 0 as im dosing a DIY nopox but cutting back the dose so i cn maintain 2 to 5ppm. Current dosage is 6ml and have reduced to 4ml as off today. My P04 is sitting at 0.08 currently and is usually between 0.03 to 0.1. I change out 300gr bi weekly at tue moment. I just added a new piece of dead rock which was acid and bleach cured so could be leaching some phosphate at present.

Should I begin with the ABVE ot wait till i have my PO4 under 0.05.

Thanks

Mohammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 03:43 AM   #2
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Hello,
Here is video how to prepare Balling solutions using Aquaforest products:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urLrgWH-KMI&t=167s

Aquaforest supplements like: AF Amino Mix, AF Build, AF Energy and AF Vitality - dosing should be based on corals consumption. Here is other video about Aquaforest supplements and coral foods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWnmsFOz478&t

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 05:00 AM   #3
jerrythomas
Registered Member

I'm also interested on this i'm going to do the same

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

jerrythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 01:07 PM   #4
Mohammed
Registered Member

Ok.

So watched the video and the tip at the bottom of the video when mixing component 2 i.e the Alk part, says 100ml of kh buffer raises dkh by 1.6 in 100lt.

This is ccontradictory to the diy being 2 times the concentration. In fact its 2 times dilute vs the info in the guide which states 50ml if the premix will raise dkh by 1.3 in 100lt.

I guess i will just have to thumb suck a dose and go from there. Products look promising nonetheless.

Unread 11/09/2017, 01:21 PM   #5
jerrythomas
Registered Member

So when i mix it myself i have to add same dosage or not? now i have the jar premixed with old recipe where Ca and mg is in Number 1

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

jerrythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Concentration of Premix Component 123 vs DIY Component 123.

It's always recommended to start off at a lower initial dosing level and work your way up.

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 01:32 AM   #7
MichaelW
Registered Member

I was always under the impression that if you buy the pre mixor you mix your own the concentration is the same.
The alk solution is basically saturated so cant be made any stronger

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 03:33 AM   #8
Mohammed
Registered Member

Heres my take on it.

Going by RHF Recipe 2 (sodium bicarbonate part)
Disolve 297g into 1 gal/ 3.78lt so....

297g : 3780ml = 0.08g : 1ml
So 80g: 1000ml /1 lt
This has a concentration of 2660 dkh (not important)

Component 2 calls for 80g : 1lt so essentially the same concentration as RHF recipe 2

To calculate how much 50ml will raise dkh in 100lt (chose this as volume in reef Chemistry Calculator) I went to the Reef Chemistry Calculator and chose RHF recipe 2 Alk part. And raised dkh in increments till 50ml.of product was required to raise to desired alk from 1. Ultimately it came out as 1.3 (2.3 - 1 dkh) so the AF guide it seems is more accurate. No point splitting hairs over concentration as i could literally leave my doser settings as is cos i currently dose RHF recipe 2. Its actually 49ml if anyone is pedandic enough.

So for a summary ~50ml of component 2 will raise dkh by 1.3 dkh in 100lt.

Had i followed the video tip i would have likely overshot alk.