Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2017, 04:58 PM   #1
naimasreef
Registered Member

trying to decide.

hey there Aquaforest -

Just read your product guide and have been watching videos and lurking a bit.

Getting back into the hobby after a few years off and having fun getting caught up on all the new gear, methods, and changes within reef keeping.

All respect to your products and all the lovely tanks that display your good works...bringing me to my question.

Debating on going with your system, or the other one that starts with a T, or maybe just cobble together my own 'best of ideas' system

Really like the idea of running aquaforest for the color, growth, and polyp extension that I have seen in the pics and vids . . . seems like the products are strong in concentration and pretty well documented/supported.

here are some tank details:
- 100gallon total volume, almost half will be sump.
- oversized skimmer
- big fuge with big algae grow light
- kalk stirrer
- one of the top led fixtures

- minimal or no water changes

livestock goals:
- chalice
- monti
- acro
- maybe 10 or so fish and a clam

I am very open to suggestion and instruction . . . guessing my only real caveat is that I hope to not do any water changes.

Please let me know what you think.
thanks.

naimasreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 05:14 PM   #2
jtietz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naimasreef View Post
hey there Aquaforest -

Getting back into the hobby after a few years off and having fun getting caught up on all the new gear, methods, and changes within reef keeping.

All respect to your products and all the lovely tanks that display your good works...bringing me to my question.

Debating on going with your system, or the other one that starts with a T, or maybe just cobble together my own 'best of ideas' system

Really like the idea of running aquaforest for the color, growth, and polyp extension that I have seen in the pics and vids . . . seems like the products are strong in concentration and pretty well documented/supported.

- oversized skimmer
- kalk stirrer

livestock goals:
- chalice
- monti
- acro

I am very open to suggestion and instruction . . . guessing my only real caveat is that I hope to not do any water changes.

thanks.
Start a reactor of zeo mix, phosphate minus, and carbon. Then fill tank with reef salt for mixed tank or probiotic salt for sps ulns tank. Then for the next 14 days dose 1 drop of bio s, pro bios, and np pro for every 100 liters.
100 lts = 27 gallons

So 4 drops of each a day. Then you can slowly start to add your cuc, fish, and corals. Just add slow so bacteria can catch up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jtietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 05:44 PM   #3
jtietz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtietz View Post
Start a reactor of zeo mix, phosphate minus, and carbon. Then fill tank with reef salt for mixed tank or probiotic salt for sps ulns tank. Then for the next 14 days dose 1 drop of bio s, pro bios, and np pro for every 100 liters.
100 lts = 27 gallons

So 4 drops of each a day. Then you can slowly start to add your cuc, fish, and corals. Just add slow so bacteria can catch up.

Also no kalk stirer. Use AF components 1,2,3

Unread 10/01/2017, 11:26 PM   #4
naimasreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtietz View Post
100 lts = 27 gallons

Also no kalk stirer. Use AF components 1,2,3

Thanks jtietz . . . this sounds like a plan. love the confidence!!

think I'm gonna give it a go, will update as I get my build going.

Unread 10/02/2017, 05:37 AM   #5
jtietz
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks jtietz . . . this sounds like a plan. love the confidence!!

think I'm gonna give it a go, will update as I get my build going.
If u need any help just ask

Unread 10/03/2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Anirban
Registered Member

Quote:
hey there Aquaforest -

- oversized skimmer
- kalk stirrer

livestock goals:
- chalice
- monti
- acro

thanks.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Looks like you are starting a new system. If so then start with reef salt. Dose bio S and NP pro for 14 days and then shift to Pro bio S. After 14 days add bio S whenever you do a water change or increase bioload.
You don't need zeo or carbon to start a tank. In case you see a lot of PO4 then you may add some phosminus. A skimmer is good enough. Just cycle the tank for 14 days and you are good to go. Once you start the reef then we can talk over nutrient control and other stuffs.
You can skip regular water changes but once a month is good for overall health of the system. You don't need fuge as it does not work well with probiotic method.

Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 08:58 PM   #7
naimasreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirban View Post
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Looks like you are starting a new system. If so then start with reef salt. Dose bio S and NP pro for 14 days and then shift to Pro bio S. After 14 days add bio S whenever you do a water change or increase bioload.
You don't need zeo or carbon to start a tank. In case you see a lot of PO4 then you may add some phosminus. A skimmer is good enough. Just cycle the tank for 14 days and you are good to go. Once you start the reef then we can talk over nutrient control and other stuffs.
You can skip regular water changes but once a month is good for overall health of the system. You don't need fuge as it does not work well with probiotic method.

thanks for your response Anirban, no rush.

Would like to clarify for myself and other AQ noobs . . . if Im gonna do it - want to try and do it right, more details:
1. salt - AQ Reef Salt, or AQ Probiobic Reef Salt, or would NSW be as good?
2. cycling - your method almost sounds too easy, which I like . . . any suggestions to prepare dry rock?
3. filtration - skimmer and live rock only is what AQ suggests? tank will be high flow. was planning a big fuge with big magenta grow light, with mud/substrate bottom. also was thinking about an area for some cryptic sponges more recently, after reading some of the Tyree stuff. what about ATS??
4. water changes - again, ideally none. if consensus is that zero water changes is madness then maybe I will research the continuous method?

Do like the Idea of running AQ along with some other filtration methods and zero water changes .

Please advise, and thanks for your time.

Unread 10/04/2017, 10:20 PM   #8
Anirban
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks for your response Anirban, no rush.

Would like to clarify for myself and other AQ noobs . . . if Im gonna do it - want to try and do it right, more details:
1. salt - AQ Reef Salt, or AQ Probiobic Reef Salt, or would NSW be as good?
2. cycling - your method almost sounds too easy, which I like . . . any suggestions to prepare dry rock?
3. filtration - skimmer and live rock only is what AQ suggests? tank will be high flow. was planning a big fuge with big magenta grow light, with mud/substrate bottom. also was thinking about an area for some cryptic sponges more recently, after reading some of the Tyree stuff. what about ATS??
4. water changes - again, ideally none. if consensus is that zero water changes is madness then maybe I will research the continuous method?

Do like the Idea of running AQ along with some other filtration methods and zero water changes .

Please advise, and thanks for your time.
You can use any one either reef or probiotic salt. But for cycling I will say reef salt as its a bit cheaper and you dont need those amino or vitamin in an empty tank.
For dry rock I generally wash it with muriatic acid and then few washes with RODI and then dip it few weeks in RODI water and check for PO4 level. If needed I put a skimmer and lanthum chloride to quickly reduce it. Then finally a week in salt water and a bit of bacteria.
AF is probiotic driven so more surface area you give them to grow better it is. So, if you can seed some siporax which will help you in long run.
I will not say zero water changes but people do that with success. With full balling method it is possible but I will say one water change in few months is good but not necessary.
You can run carbon and GFO if needed. Zeomix is advance and you only need it to fine tune the system.

Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote