Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2010, 10:48 PM   #26
tabwyo
Premium Member

Dilution is the solution to pollution..... if I put a drop of red dye in a shot glass of water it will turn red. If I put that same drop in a swimming pool you wont see a change at all. Same amount of dye... different amount of water.

The more volume you have the more stable your system will be. If the only place nutrients are imported into the system is the DT. Then a larger fuge volume on the back end of the loop will only do you good.

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon LPS/SPS/shroom/leather 29g seahorse barn
tabwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 09:14 AM   #27
JohnZena
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2skibum View Post
I'm new to the hobby and this is my first thread on reef central, so bear with me.

I planning on putting together a 90gallon reef tank. I would like to do things "naturally" (i.e. lots of protein skimming and a refugium). I've been trying to find information about proper sizing and flow rates in a refugium, and it seems like the general consensus is 10% of display tank volume. My question is... Is it possible to have a refugium that is too large?

(I have an extra 55 gallon tank I want to use as a sump. With protein skimming on one end and a refugium on the other end..feeding the return pump in the center)

Originally I was planning on incorporating a DSB or Plenum in my display tank, and for aesthetic reasons, I've decided to do this in a the refugium. From what I read, the concern with a disproportionate refugium size is that there wouldn't be enough nutrients to support macro/mangrove growth. However, couldn't I have a large refugium in order to increase my NNR in the DSB and then limit how much macro/mangrove growth I have based on the expected bioload?

Any other disadvantages to large refugiums?

Just something that's been weighing on my mind, so I thought I'd ask the experts!

Thanks everyone!

-m
Hi k2, I have been researching the same for the past 2 days. I have a 75 that I am setting up and I am using a beat up 75 as my sump. With that said I hope that you dont mind me hitching a ride with this thread and second your question. Thanks.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

JohnZena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 10:02 AM   #28
sde1500
Registered Member

Thread died over 7 years ago lol.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 10:22 AM   #29
hartin461
Registered Member

Timeless classic..

hartin461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 04:52 PM   #30
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZena View Post
Hi k2, I have been researching the same for the past 2 days. I have a 75 that I am setting up and I am using a beat up 75 as my sump. With that said I hope that you dont mind me hitching a ride with this thread and second your question. Thanks.

Yeah, 7 YO thread. The advise has not changed since then, you can not have too large a refuge.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 05:42 PM   #31
JohnZena
Registered Member

This is great news. In addition to microalgae I am going to plant seagrasses. 2" of a mud sand base, 2" of aragonite topcoat, turtle grass, manatee grass and either star or shoal grass along with some rock rubble. What do you think?

JohnZena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2017, 06:25 PM   #32
jayball
Registered Member

search for old topics and ask here http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176

Seagrass is fairly demanding from what I have heard. I recommend finding someone that has been successful growing it first and learn from them.

Unread 07/20/2017, 06:31 PM   #33
Joe0813
Registered Member

Bigger the better

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 05:23 PM   #34
miston
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
Yeah, 7 YO thread. The advise has not changed since then, you can not have too large a refuge.
Though someone said going going straight from the DT to the Fuge is a bad idea. That's now what Triton recommends

miston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 07:28 PM   #35
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miston View Post
Though someone said going going straight from the DT to the Fuge is a bad idea. That's now what Triton recommends
I would suggest you start a new thread outlining the design and goal of your fuge and look for option that way. There are more than one reason to run one with techniques for each

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Tags
deep sand bed, macroalgae, refugium, sump