Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Kurkis493
Registered Member

Sump - Too much humidity to hold electronics?

I have a 48" stand w/ a 22" long sump - There will be ruffly 10 gallons of water in this sump. There will not be much if any ventilation inside of the sump.

I planned on keeping my Radion Pro ballast, vortech pumps, apex controller, tunze osmolator and the 8 plug power bar all inside the cabinet opposite of the sump.

Somebody told me that was a horrible idea and that I would ruin all of my stuff and have problems.....

Yes - No?

Nothing would get wet, I am confident of that. The concern is humidity and salt creep getting inside and messing things up...

What do you guys say?

Kurkis493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Mcbeezus
Registered Member

I have all of my equipment, controls, and ballasts right next to my sump underneath my stand. Its been like that for 3 months and i have not noticed any problems due to condensation or humidity.

Mcbeezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 04:27 PM   #3
SeedlessOne
Registered Member

It all depends on your stand ventilation. I had a HUGE issue until I added vent fans to my stand. Just something to think about.

SeedlessOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 04:27 PM   #4
James77
Registered Member

It is a really bad idea. Most manufacturers kind of don't mention it, but if you ask directly, it comes down to it being a pretty decent sized risk. Saying nothing would get wet in this hobby is quickly proven wrong.

Ideally, all electronic equipment would be out of the stand. I have read of others building a separate area inside the stand for electronics only, sealed off from the moisture, splashing, and salt creep of the sump. I run the cords into my basement through a false wall that used to be a door. I have no electrical plugs inside the stand. It is one of those situations where you will almost definitely be ok, but it is a real risk. All is takes is one splash of water or one corroded plug to spark.

Edit...As Seedless said, at the least vent the stand. Even drill holes to get that humid hot air out of there.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Kurkis493
Registered Member

There would be some 1" holes drilled in the back so that I could move cords behind the stand and over to where the power bar was..

The internal dimensions of the stand runs 47" across and the sump is 22". I planned on putting all of this stuff on the opposite side of the sump with the power bar bolted upside-down into the stand's top...

I would be surprised if I got it wet... My other option is to bolt the stuff to the outside walls of the stand I feel like I have a larger change of getting things wet there from putting hands in the tank or because it is rimless, water sloshing out from trying to clean the glass and running down the side.

I unfortunately do not have another way to do this.

I had 2 Ikea kitchen base cabinets that I wanted to use as a wet side / dry side and each is rated to hold 350 lbs. I was going to reinforce the cabinets with 2x4s but ultimately ended up making a 2x4 stand with an open inside so setting things up would be easier...

Unread 05/24/2013, 05:07 PM   #6
SeedlessOne
Registered Member

The holes will not be enough if the back is sealed. If I remade my stand today I would leave the back open. Forget the holes and install two computer fans. I have some that are silent and work great at venting stand and canopy.

SeedlessOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 05:09 PM   #7
jimmy_beaner
Registered Member

I cut some holes and mounted some computer fans I can turn on when I enclose the front of the stand. Ventilation is key.

jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Bigcefa
Registered Member

Yes, vent your stand no matter what if it's sealed. Equipment aside you'll get mold and over time could damage the wood

Bigcefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 07:18 PM   #9
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Ventilate! Get a hole saw from HD and put at least 1 computer fan in the stand. If you put only one fan in then I suggest aligning the fan to blow out of the stand. If two then do laminar flow.

I've gone through a couple sets of stainless hinges in a stand that has two 4" fans so I'd imagine if they would rust then I can only imagine what would happen to the sensitive electronics over time. The fans will also help you keep things cooler in the cabinet.

Vantech makes some solid quiet fans

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Kurkis493
Registered Member

Ok sure - can put a few fans in the back of the stand, no problem. I am finishing everything up this weekend.

That said, would this resolve my problem and allow me to keep equipment inside the stand without the worry of salt creep or humidity?

Water splashing on the equipment etc, I understand the risks there and I may make an acrylic box to cover these items. But there would still be open spaces where wires would run...

Unread 05/25/2013, 12:14 AM   #11
reeftivo
Skim junkie

I would never do it, but many have without any real problems "YET". If you're dead set on keeping the equipment in the stand then install the fans. Another thing to consider is warranties on the equipment you put inside. Many of the manufacturers of those electronics will not honor the warranty if used/ damaged under those conditions, so keep that in mind.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote