Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2011, 10:28 AM   #76
jtunafish
Registered Member

frankfort shop

Any body have the name and address of the new store in Frankfort, thanks, js

jtunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2011, 10:56 AM   #77
pjcurry88
Registered Member

Online Order

I would love to keep my money here in Illinois. I live in Bloomington and find it discouraging that not one store in Chicago (that I have found) has an online store for ordering corals/fish etc. Any suggestions?

pjcurry88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2011, 09:24 PM   #78
jtunafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcurry88 View Post
I would love to keep my money here in Illinois. I live in Bloomington and find it discouraging that not one store in Chicago (that I have found) has an online store for ordering corals/fish etc. Any suggestions?
A new store just opened in Bartonville last week, people from my reef club say its great, js

jtunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2011, 05:40 PM   #79
skjohn98
Registered Member

Frankfort LFS address

Reef City Aquatics
7942 w Lincoln Highway
Frankfort, IL 60423
815-534-5268

ReefCityAquaticsOnline.com

I am planning on stopping there Friday cant wait

John

skjohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2011, 01:12 PM   #80
kkoch
Registered Member

Not impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby26 View Post
Hidden Reef in beach park. off of wadsworth and greenbay rd. a.k.a. route 31.it is a little hidden but its worth finding. has very good selection,the owner (hector)is great,they have only been open for a little over a year so his staff is young but is growing with the store(Ive known them for qiut a while so I love messing with them! lol) they give 7 day guarantee on fish, I know he pays someone to pick out his fish from a wholesaler in LA so they are always sweet! I usually just get coral cause he gets such wikked pieces!! he gets his coral trans shipped in so its not cherry picked in LA, so they always get a one of a kind pieces!(my fav, you know! but you have to be fast cause ALOT of coral addicts hit the spot on coral shippment days!(me being one of them LOL) all the fishheads hit the spot on fish shipment days also for that matter!lol and if they dont have it they'll get it for you and the icing on the cake..... he's cheaper then EVERYBODY!
I bet you cant just go once! my fav shop!

Old town aquarium is a very nice shop but like sixty4tw put it parking is a pain! the staff is knowledgable but I do feel that "attitude" from some of the staff almost like "you aint going to buying anything or aint spending enough so why do you keep bothering me asking questions" what can I say I like to ask alot of questions, lol. they do have a great selection and very nice corals but end up seeing the same pieces week after week cause of the high prices. havent been there for a while for the same reason. still a good place though
Not impressed with Hidden Reef

kkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2011, 06:20 PM   #81
latinreefer
Registered Member

Great store in Glen Ellyn, small but he can get whatever you want and prices are hard to beat.
Aqua Pros
500 Pennsylvania Ave.
Glen Ellyn, Il 60137
630-935-1363

Unread 01/14/2012, 04:26 PM   #82
J3REEF
Registered Member

Exotic Aquatics

WOW
DIP DIP DIP
More bugs than polyps
Bought a few frags today and not good AEFW, Nudis, etc.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 120 Tech, MH, MRC Sump/Fug 48"x24"x24", WM k2, Iwaki 1500gph, HKs & JBJ OS, FilterGuys Ocean Reef +1 RO/DI
J3REEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 11:15 PM   #83
irky
Registered Member

I would highly recommend new fish for us city dwellers. Great coral selection and nice staff. Old town aquarium is certainly nice and priced accordingly - seems like the tiffanys of fish stores but I have seen some amazing species there.

Unread 02/12/2012, 07:09 PM   #84
K8wma
Registered Member

Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.

Last edited by DgenR8; 02/13/2012 at 08:51 AM.
K8wma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2012, 08:52 AM   #85
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8wma View Post
Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.
Check your PM

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2012, 12:24 PM   #86
danielp
Registered Member

Guys, I am planning to make a trip to "Sho Tank" one of the upcoming days. Since it's a bit of a distance I would like to know if it's worth it. How is the quality of their animals, health etc? Mainly interested in fish, but some frags would be nice too. Thanks.

danielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2012, 01:15 PM   #87
jayjigga
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielp View Post
Guys, I am planning to make a trip to "Sho Tank" one of the upcoming days. Since it's a bit of a distance I would like to know if it's worth it. How is the quality of their animals, health etc? Mainly interested in fish, but some frags would be nice too. Thanks.
I've heard that most people are happy with the prices/selection of the fish, but it wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan for places around the area. Make the trip worthwhile and do an LFS crawl!

jayjigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2012, 02:24 PM   #88
Cubbies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjigga View Post
i've heard that most people are happy with the prices/selection of the fish, but it wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan for places around the area. Make the trip worthwhile and do an lfs crawl!
+1

Cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2012, 02:09 AM   #89
cub21rak
Registered Member

No indiana listings?
Pet playground
Hammond Indiana
219-845-7387
Not sure of their hours but I know they are open 7 days a week.
They are where I frequently go. Nice people always willing to help.

cub21rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 08:33 PM   #90
rayn
Registered Member

Not being familiar with the Chicago land area, what fish stores are near or around Naperville? I am heading up there tomorrow I just found out and would love to find some good stores to check out.

Unread 04/20/2012, 10:25 PM   #91
cub21rak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayn View Post
Not being familiar with the Chicago land area, what fish stores are near or around Naperville? I am heading up there tomorrow I just found out and would love to find some good stores to check out.
On the first page of this topic there is a link to google maps. This shows many different stores on the Chicago area. If you go there and the find your location you will be able to see what's near your location.

cub21rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 05:28 AM   #92
rayn
Registered Member

I looked yhrough that, but didnt see any that said 'naperville' so thought l would ask. I will probably go through that map to and see what is closest to me up there.

Unread 04/21/2012, 06:41 AM   #93
dohc97
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayn View Post
I looked yhrough that, but didnt see any that said 'naperville' so thought l would ask. I will probably go through that map to and see what is closest to me up there.
Reef plus in aurora, reefwise in lisle and aquapros would be my choice if I was doing your trip.

Current Tank Info: IM 25 lagoon, diy stand, kessil A360we, mp10 wes qd, apex jr
dohc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 06:45 AM   #94
Cubbies
Registered Member

I would have to agree. Naperville itself has nothing. Unless some reefers from the town want to jump in and share tanks and frags

Cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 08:21 AM   #95
rayn
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

Unread 04/22/2012, 04:06 PM   #96
jfuka78
Registered Member

we need to add this store to the list, I know its in milton/janesville but well worth the drive

Unread 04/30/2012, 10:29 AM   #97
ChrisL1976
Registered Member

I briefly stopped in Aquarium Adventures in Bolingbrook next to IKEA. Does not look like too bad of a place. Kind of like a really upscale petsmart or similar. They did have a 40% off sale off all fish which was nice. Wonder how often they hold that sale. Normal pricing seemed similar to other LSF I've have been to.

ChrisL1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 02:28 PM   #98
sh0tyme83
Registered Member

Just a heads up there is a new store off 59 in the Plainfield/Naperville area called Aquatic Visions. This is same exact store as Upscale Aquatics in Plainfield. He closed Upscale and opened this new place. A lot of you are already familiar with Upscale but for those who aren't, expect high prices and loud hard rock music.

sh0tyme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 05:51 PM   #99
cubanreef22
Registered Member

Hey guys what do you guys prefer in Northern Illinios?? There really arent too many choices???

cubanreef22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 08:28 PM   #100
skarab
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3REEF View Post
WOW
DIP DIP DIP
More bugs than polyps
Bought a few frags today and not good AEFW, Nudis, etc.
Exotic Aquatics

I was just in there last weekend....and they were doing some heavy cleaning in the tanks and the store had a god awful smell. My wife had to walk out of the door after about 5 minutes.

skarab is offline   Reply With Quote