Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Dundermifflin
Registered Member

Fish in trouble-anyone see this before?

Has anyone seen this...seconds before feeding my fish the other night everything was fine in the tank. 10 seconds after feeding them the niger trigger flipped out. He started swimming erratically in spirals, then dropped to the bottom of the tank. Thought he was dead as he was positioned vertically at the bottom against a rock. Then a minute later started spiraling all around the tank again. I turned the lights off immediately to reduce stress. I came back in the morning and didn't see him. When I fed the tank last night I didn't see him. Then this morning (day and a half later from when it started) I saw him spiraling all over the tank again.

All the other fish appear fine. (Porcupine puffer, dogface puffer, blue jaw trigger, and two blue tangs). None seem stressed out or are acting differently. I have had this same group of fish in the tank for over a year with NO prior issues. From what I was able to see on the niger trigger there didn't appear to be any significant wounds or discoloring. The water parameters are good and there is no stray current going through the tank.

The porcupine has grown pretty large and is very aggressive in going after the food when I feed the tank. That's the only time the porcupine is aggressive. When I'm not feeding he's very docile.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the porcupine got him somehow when he was going after food. But again, couldn't really see any marks on the trigger. Even after the feeding when the trigger was spiraling and bumping into the porcupine near his mouth the porcupine did nothing.

Thoughts?

Dundermifflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Why the dbl post http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2648479

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 12:47 PM   #3
Dundermifflin
Registered Member

With no response thought maybe I was in the wrong forum. No reason to have concern and call that out. Adds no value to these forums. If you have nothing to offer the thread don't comment.

Is it that concerning to you that I posted it in another forum as well in an effort to get a quick response with hopes of trying to save a fish???

Dundermifflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

I'm betting your theory may be right. Got tagged.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 05:40 PM   #5
PROlife
Registered Member

I'm thinking the Trigger got poisoned by the puffer some how, if memory serves its flesh is poisonous?

PROlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 08:15 PM   #6
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundermifflin View Post
With no response thought maybe I was in the wrong forum. No reason to have concern and call that out. Adds no value to these forums. If you have nothing to offer the thread don't comment.

Is it that concerning to you that I posted it in another forum as well in an effort to get a quick response with hopes of trying to save a fish???
Sorry, I noticed differing info and was confused in part. Hope your fish makes it out of the current condition ok. Ive never heard of one snapping anothers spine but I could certainly see how that could happen. If that is the case, I presume it would be fatal... But see what others say, this is just speculation on my part.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote