Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2019, 02:39 AM   #1
Reesj
Registered Member

50 Gallon reef tank. New to Salt water

Hi all. I'm hoping to set up a saltwater tank finally after hoping and reading stuff for years. I have had freshwater fish for about 15-20 years on and off and had my last planted tank up and running for about 4 years now.
I'm from Sri Lanka and comes wit ha whole heap of problems when trying to set up a salt water tank in here mainly being cost and lack of resources. But finally I decided to give it a try as I learned I can at least source the fish Cheap.

I'm setting it up at living room where visitors come and its vital that I make it look smooth and noiseless. So unfortunately making a tank I like with dimensions I want went(42x18x18 inch) off the window as no reliable source to make a good tank with sump with clean sleek look.
So I'm starting off with a Sunsun HRG 1000 tank that looks awesome although cost a bit . (around $350) It comes with a sump pumps lights and crap load of filter media. The only problem the dimensions . Its 39x 13.5x 22 LxWxH) Very narrow display type thank.

OFC I have to replace the lights and I will make a DIY system to fit its roof light hopefully which I will post afterwards. Right after I managed to get this dam panel on top to allow me to attach a photo or use bold and italic fictions lol.
Anyway Wanted to say Hi. Wish me luck.

Reesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2019, 03:19 AM   #2
Reesj
Registered Member

got pic link to work here is the tank

I'm setting up my rock structure and will post some pics to get ideas.

Unread 08/10/2019, 03:25 AM   #3
Reesj
Registered Member

Unread 08/10/2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Pellikan
Registered Member

Welcome to RC.

Other than the sourcing problem, your history sounds a lot like mine. I did freshwater then planted tanks for many years before I started salt and I'm a DIY kind of person.

Hang in there, take each obstacle as it comes, you'll get there in the end.

Can't comment on your photos, they didn't show up in Tapatalk. I'll have to try on a computer later.

Your tall, narrow tank will be a challenge for rock work and finding good places for corals. Were you doing reef or FOWLR?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pellikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 01:25 AM   #5
Reesj
Registered Member

Thanks man. Yes I'm hoping to make a DIY Light fixture to suite the roof tank has and an DIY Algae Scrubber and otehr small things.

I setup the aquascape and here it is. What you guys think? I wanted to make s bridge maybe to put some corals on top but decided not to in the end.

Unread 08/14/2019, 01:26 AM   #6
Reesj
Registered Member

https://imgur.com/Z2sQk2V
https://imgur.com/eoSUmTz