Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2019, 10:05 AM   #1926
Jsarrow
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Same, unfortunately. It was an unknown growing in a LFS display and I asked for a frag. Under Metal Halide (Radium specifically) it's spectacular, I have yet to achieve those colors under T5/LED. Colors for me are a decent mint green with purple blush tips. Under MH it was a vivid mint green with intense purple tips and a little blue mixed in.
I think perhaps its tri color valida as I have a known colony of this coral as well and it looks just like it in both form and coloring.

Jsarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2019, 06:06 PM   #1927
markalot

The death meltdown has begin, 6 days after dosing.

The Xenia is mostly gone already, the daisy polyps just now dying. There's a ton of them, this will be a lot of nutrients released. /fingers crossed.

Unread 03/18/2019, 02:33 PM   #1928
markalot

Xenia is gone, and some SPS showing loss of color. KH climbed from 7 to 7.6 or so. I've been dosing NOPOX and 1 drop of PhosphateRx daily to control nutrients.

Overall health looks ok, and the birdsnest I use to judge growth still has long white tips so I don't think anything overly bad is happening, but I'll find out a few weeks from now.

Unread 03/18/2019, 05:30 PM   #1929
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice. It worked. Always nice when ‘it works’ with the reef. Doesn’t happen often!
So nothing remains of the xenia?
Marc, second pic, dead centre, is that clove polyp? Any effect on them? I see they are closed up but don’t look dead..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2019, 06:58 PM   #1930
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Nice. It worked. Always nice when ‘it works’ with the reef. Doesn’t happen often!
So nothing remains of the xenia?
Marc, second pic, dead centre, is that clove polyp? Any effect on them? I see they are closed up but don’t look dead..
Second or third. I have some blue cloves but they never spread, just show up now and then. This Fendo stuff is also supposed to kill them. Third pick is daisy polyps which I like the look of but holy cow, they were also becoming invasive. They spread slower and are easy to tear off so I never gave them much thought. Also dead and rotting away.

Unread 03/18/2019, 07:22 PM   #1931
reefmutt
Registered Member

Right. Third. Hm! Interesting.. I may try this super fendo stuff for some colonial brown polyps..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 03/19/2019, 04:46 AM   #1932
markalot

Quote:
Right. Third. Hm! Interesting.. I may try this super fendo stuff for some colonial brown polyps..
Very small doses, this was 10 drops of a 10% solution. I bet 5 drops would have worked almost as well.

Did a check on the Acros this morning, all had fantastic polyp extension so right now they are still healthy. The Red Robin is super hairy at night. The only coral not looking good is the Palmer's Blue, which frankly is looking close to death. The frag I cut from it is not only healthy but blue, which tells me it's getting cooked under too much light. I'll move it as soon as the tank stabilizes a little more and I can make room for it.

Without the Xenia pest I can place acros anywhere I want. Very exciting.

Unread 03/19/2019, 07:30 PM   #1933
nemodan
Registered Member

Mark, nice to see all is going well. Interesting the Xenia solution
I never read about it

Cheers
Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 06:50 AM   #1934
markalot

Purple Stylo lost a lower branch. It never loses branches. This morning it was completely gone but it appears the part nearest the base is in the same place. This was covered in Xenia last week. I hate coincidences. KH 7.2

Orange passion

Vivid Rainbow

Unread 03/25/2019, 07:32 AM   #1935
markalot

Nothing new to report. The Purple Stylo had 3 lower branches RTN but seems to be stable. Some browning here and there, but not consistent and seems to be improving. The skimmer STUNK and was full of chunky goodness. Emptied 3 times so far. I am dosing 5ml NOPOX every 3 days and 2 drops of PhosphateRx every other day. Glass gets algae 6 hours after cleaning so the in tank nutrient load is pretty high. Nitrate still tests near 0, and I am not testing PO4 but I assume it's raised a bit.

Clowns delayed eggs laying by a week but now have a smaller than normal batch in the typical location.

Unread 03/25/2019, 08:21 AM   #1936
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Stay strong tank!

It's a blessing and a curse to be able to get rid of these corals pretty easily with chemicals. I went through the same thing in my biocube for gsp with fluke tab as it has the same effect, and after spending hours pulling out gsp a few times, i gave up and went the chemical route.

I remember back in 05-06 when AEFW came on the scene, I was dipping in fluke tab and the first time I did it, my xenia died off and wouldn't ever grow again. It was a nice beginner frag to distribute, but I could never get rid of it fast enough.

Hang in there, good luck, and I'm excited to see what you fill all of the empty space with!

Are you keeping an emergency 20% WC on hand while doing this clean out?

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 08:41 AM   #1937
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Stay strong tank!

It's a blessing and a curse to be able to get rid of these corals pretty easily with chemicals. I went through the same thing in my biocube for gsp with fluke tab as it has the same effect, and after spending hours pulling out gsp a few times, i gave up and went the chemical route.

I remember back in 05-06 when AEFW came on the scene, I was dipping in fluke tab and the first time I did it, my xenia died off and wouldn't ever grow again. It was a nice beginner frag to distribute, but I could never get rid of it fast enough.

Hang in there, good luck, and I'm excited to see what you fill all of the empty space with!

Are you keeping an emergency 20% WC on hand while doing this clean out?
I have the water ready but not mixed yet. So sort of? It's been a long time since this tank had a water change, which is an additional risk factor.

Is this stuff known to kill AEFW? I know it's a dewormer but I have yet to see it kill a worm, or snail, or anything except these softies.

Unread 03/25/2019, 09:31 AM   #1938
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I'm not sure about fendo, but fluke tabs are mebendazole and something called dylox. Nasty stuff. But back in the day I recall that it was the only successful dip for frags to prevent aefw. A by-product was that it would kill xenia at low doses, and gsp and clove polyps at higher doses. I never lost a snail, worm, or shrimp, but I also never dosed the tank with much of the tab powder.

To kill off my gsp, I only had to add the slightest bit of dust from the bag into my tank, and within days the gsp melted away.

Fluke tabs for killing AEFW:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=642959

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1179242&page=2

And for actually killing corals: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2153276

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2019, 08:44 PM   #1939
markalot

Thanks for the links!

I'm not sounding the all clear yet but color is coming back, and fairly rapidly. I believe the majority of the die off is over.

The every other day dosing of PhosphateRx seems to be having positive results. I've stopped dosing NOPOX, I did so right when the Purple Stylo started to lose a branch.

The Hawkins has exploded in growth during this whole ordeal.

Unread 03/28/2019, 10:23 PM   #1940
miareefer
Registered Member

Mate
Looks awesome you are definitely on track great to see a reefer so enthusiastic about getting into SPS

Regards

Ian

Current Tank Info: 140 gallon 90 gallon
miareefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2019, 08:52 AM   #1941
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looking awesome, Mark!
Congrats on vanquishing the pestilence!!
I am going to look seriously into using this stuff on my brown polyp infestation.
I’ll also read through those links.

Unread 04/07/2019, 09:19 AM   #1942
markalot

Quote:
Looking awesome, Mark!
Congrats on vanquishing the pestilence!!
I am going to look seriously into using this stuff on my brown polyp infestation.
I’ll also read through those links.
Thanks Matt. Give it another month, not sure I'm going to escape without losses.

The tank is not 100% healthy, some acros showing stress, so a full battery of tests this morning.

KH 6.7 - Alk usage on the increase.
Calcium 450 - slightly overdosing
Nitrate ~ 3 - No Xenia to consume nitrate
Phosphate 33 - .1 PO4 - high as expected, but not horribly high. Doing daily dosing of PhosphateRx, 1 drop Hanna REAGENT EXPIRED

PO4 might have been higher. Not too fussed with a powder expiring.

Salinity 38. Lowering it back down.

Unread 04/10/2019, 07:22 PM   #1943
nemodan
Registered Member

Hi Mark

That tank looks fantastic and there is no 100% healthy tank at all. I have many mojano. Same story. 3 small ones came in a small rock. They looked soo cute. Now a have many, more than I really like to see. But because my tank is so filled, they compite for space. I also have my share on that competition. From time to time I add to them Aiptasia X that kills or reduce their propagation.

Excellent tank and Excellent job !!!!
Enjoy it.

Best
Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2019, 05:49 AM   #1944
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Hi Mark,

You have a really nice tank. I just found your thread. I will be following along.

Dean

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2019, 07:00 AM   #1945
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenreefkeeper View Post
Hi Mark,

You have a really nice tank. I just found your thread. I will be following along.

Dean
Thanks Dean and Daniel.

The tank has turned the corner and growth is exploding again. Let me review how I think things happened and how I avoided and long term damage.

PO4 measured .1 when I finally got around to testing. Had this been two years ago I would have freaked out and adde GFO, killing most of my SPS. THis time I simply started doing drops of PhosphateRx. 1 drop daily, or 2 drops every other day. I know it slowly reduces PO4 so no thinking required, and I know I can add it daily even if PO4 is low without doing any harm. Sure enough the acros started to regain health and now my healthy take indicator has gone on a bender. I don;t call this the crazy bird for nothing.

Besides the purple stylo losing most of two lower branches my Lokani started to STN and the big Valida showed broken and patchy skin. This happened over 3 or 4 days when the Xenia had vanished but the daisy polyps where still disintegrating. I suspect PO4 rose rapidly along with who knows what else. I tested PO4 after the Lokani had lost some skin and started PhosphateRx a few days BEFORE I tested. I know, sorry for the lack of accurate tracking, but time is limited these days.

Here's the Lokani. You can see the lower left of the base is a hard edge and is starting to grow back now. The lighter areas are where the skin died off.

Here's damage (flashlight) to the Valida. It's already starting to heal but still looks pretty bad. Skin underneath is still healthy, only the skin near the tops looks to be effected.

That's about all the visible damage ... fingers crossed this is over!

The Slimer and Miami Orchid are battling to take over where the daisy polyps used to be.

This green cap was a small mass of mostly brown nothing, covered in Daisy polyps. Good grief.

Lokani frags never showed any stress. These are so cool looking.

FTS.

Unread 04/15/2019, 07:21 AM   #1946
tgbaby1
Premium Member

Beautiful tank! Do you dose the PhosphateRx into a sock or some other type of mechanical filtration? Also, what’s your target PO4?

tgbaby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2019, 07:45 AM   #1947
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbaby1 View Post
Beautiful tank! Do you dose the PhosphateRx into a sock or some other type of mechanical filtration? Also, what’s your target PO4?
Just drop it into first chamber of the sump, no sock. Skimmer is in second chamber.

I have no target PO4, one of the ideas I abandon when I was having so many issues. So below .1 is probably the safe target but unfortunately I don't know where it normally sits or how high it got during the dieoff.

Unread 07/08/2019, 06:03 AM   #1948
markalot

I thought things had stabilized and I got lazy with Alk testing ... and it spiked to near 12. Damage is so far a lot less than it could have been. I lost the Sarmentosa, a wild caught, but the wild horrida is still doing ok, but just ok.

Here's how things look.

The big Red Robin is looking fine, just a little brown.

The Red Planet (ORA plug) is not so red but I haven't killed it yet.

This is the cool mint/purple tipped unknown. So far unphased, and maybe a slight loss in color.

I've hacked this to bits but all the purple stylo did is use the extra KH for more growth.

Surprisingly the hawkins did the same thing, as did all the birds beside it.

Unknown green on the frag rack is unstoppable.

This is the wild caught Horrida. It's not as healthy as it was and may be in a slow decline. I'm worried but nothing I can do except keep things stable.

Amazingly the Orange Passion frag hasn't shown any issues. I should have waited until after the Foxface cleaned it off.

In the picture above with the Foxface you can see a brown frag of Palmers Blue milli and down on the rocks below an almost dead Undata, which was looking really nice just before the spike. Damn undatas are the best looking monti so of course they die easily. It's still has some green and a few polyps so I'm holding out hope.

The OP has graduated off the rack and onto the rocks. We shall see, but me and tenuis have a tenuous relationship.

Unread 07/08/2019, 06:04 AM   #1949
markalot

Vivid Rainbow is has been moved to the rockwork as well.

Check out the Lokani and frags. Once again is seems the Lokani is unphased by Alk issues. The only thing that's harmed this coral is low calcium, so far. I mounted on of the frags pretty high on the rocks to see what it does in high light.

Katropora, which needs trimmed badly. Also note nearly dead Palmer's Blue milli. I kept a frag but tossed this and another milli that was dying.

Monster Valida

Unknown milli like acro on the frag rack. It was starting to color a bit when the Alk spiked.

KH is now 8.2 and still slowly falling. I'm debating where to keep it, thinking 8 might be where to lock it in so things stop changing. Planning on getting a FTS tonight along with Nitrate and PO4 test.

Unread 07/08/2019, 06:39 AM   #1950
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Mark, it seems like it took a bit for alk to climb all
The way up there.. probably what mitigated the damage.. things don’t look too bad.. maybe colored down a bit but... not terrible!
The owner of the reef is alway the most critical.
I’ve been meaning to ask you, was the fenbendozole 100% effective in the end?
I keep hearing that eventually, the stuff trying to be eradicated comes back..
How about your case?