Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

Shut it down ????

This is annoying... these were in here big time last couple weeks.. I treated and blacked out for 3 1/2 days... when opened it back up and turned on the lights ,,, all looked good... 2 days later..it's all back... bad rocks from an LFS.... So i'm thinking shut down..drain let the sand dry get new rocks and start a new cycle with brand new fresh rock??
What do you think ??

Mendozasreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozasreef View Post
This is annoying... these were in here big time last couple weeks.. I treated and blacked out for 3 1/2 days... when opened it back up and turned on the lights ,,, all looked good... 2 days later..it's all back... bad rocks from an LFS.... So i'm thinking shut down..drain let the sand dry get new rocks and start a new cycle with brand new fresh rock??
What do you think ??
Forgot it also has tube worm and that snail thing that uses spiderweb type tentacles to capture food....
Bought bad rock from LFS

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bubbles.jpg (94.0 KB, 87 views)
Unread 04/16/2018, 08:17 AM   #3
makers marc
Registered Member

If you have a bunch of tube worms and supergluing them all is impossible, I would shut it down and get new rock.

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 08:38 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If you want to shut it down from that then just give up on this hobby as its not for you..

Probably just some cyano (maybe dinos) and vermetid snails... All pretty darn common and most certainly don't need to resort to a nuclear solution to this common problem..

Tube worms are beneficial filter feeders and vermetid snails aren't that big of a deal either and one can certainly have a tank with them in it without any problems. They too for the most part are just a harmless filter feeder..

Unread 04/16/2018, 08:51 AM   #5
ROlympia
Registered Member

To echo mcgyvr, if you aren't willing to work for it then yes, shutting it down is best. Marine aquariums are high maintenance. Good looking aquariums look good because somebody put a lot of work into it.

I spent over a year measuring KH and CA nearly daily and I've just now got that right, I think; but I've thought that before. I also took out rocks and scrubbed algae off them for quite a while early on. Followed by repeatedly siphoning out cyano for quite a while.

I'm at 17 months now and I would characterize my aquarium as not great looking although everybody seems happy and the corals are growing well.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 08:58 AM   #6
cincyjim
Registered Member

I have those vermetid snails. Do I like them... no, not one bit but other than noticing them on some rock and stuff they are not doing anything to make the tank look bad. The ocean is full of things, good and bad. I don't think you can have it all one way, so bad is going to make it in. Try to hang in there.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 09:11 AM   #7
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
If you want to shut it down from that then just give up on this hobby as its not for you..

Probably just some cyano (maybe dinos) and vermetid snails... All pretty darn common and most certainly don't need to resort to a nuclear solution to this common problem..

Tube worms are beneficial filter feeders and vermetid snails aren't that big of a deal either and one can certainly have a tank with them in it without any problems. They too for the most part are just a harmless filter feeder..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlympia View Post
To echo mcgyvr, if you aren't willing to work for it then yes, shutting it down is best. Marine aquariums are high maintenance. Good looking aquariums look good because somebody put a lot of work into it.

I spent over a year measuring KH and CA nearly daily and I've just now got that right, I think; but I've thought that before. I also took out rocks and scrubbed algae off them for quite a while early on. Followed by repeatedly siphoning out cyano for quite a while.

I'm at 17 months now and I would characterize my aquarium as not great looking although everybody seems happy and the corals are growing well.
Sort of agree with the above. If you want an 'easier' system maybe try freshwater?

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 11:45 AM   #8
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

Yeah,, the snails are not a problem to me... but the bubbles are... I don't want to put allot into this tank to have to tear it down..it's pretty early in the start stages anyway... I have a reef at home that is gorgeous and runs perfec, been running for 1.5 yrs now .. but I started with fresh rock... At this office tank i started with rock from an LFS so my cycle wouldn't take longer than a month,,,, But how do you get rid of these bubbles... I did a 3 1/2 day black out... I've been putting 40 Ml of Hydrogen Peroxide daily.

Unread 04/16/2018, 11:49 AM   #9
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

I didn't ask about the hobby, or how hard it was ... I have 3 reefs at my house and they run great... it was my mistake to get rock from Big Al's i know.... i'm simply asking.. is it easier to just blow it up.. put new rock and start a new cycle then to treat for these dinos or whatever they are??

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:05 PM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

First see if you can get us a picture with the blue channel turned off or way down..
proper color rendition is important for identification pictures and all that blue/purple is distorting the colors.. That will help determine if its dinos or cyanobacteria,etc...

Either way its likely that its just going to take some time to address.. likely siphoning out as much as you can during normal water change schedule and maybe another couple rounds of blackouts or maybe chemiclean treatment,etc..

And here is the kicker.. That type of issue can happen in any tank regardless of where you got the rocks from.. So thats why scrapping is not the best direction and you just need to learn to take care of these issues vs quitting...
Its a problem that happens even if you purchase the best rock out there and its also not likely to just going to go away in one easy step..

Sometimes this hobby throws you a tough pitch and you need to adapt/have patience and work to solve it..

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:16 PM   #11
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

I'll take pics now the lights are on afternoon

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:28 PM   #12
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

Here's the pics...sorry all my filters for pics are at home..
I understand about the "work" for a reef.. I have about 2 hours a night on mine and my kids each have on that I take care of..
I've had 0 problems with these tanks other than Bristle worms which I purposely put in each tank.. I like them.they're excellent cleaners.. This office tank I bought rock from Big Al's which apparently came from Indo and was live.. They stayed in heated and moving water the whole trip home and until they went into the tank.. when I removed them from the container I should have tossed the rocks out right away when I saw the little crabs that came out.. but I didn't.. And now I wish I had just started with dry rock.. But there's the pics of the bubbles... Let me know what other ways you know of or perhaps have exp dealing with these things.. Thank you for your answers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bubbles21.jpg (104.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg bubbles22.jpg (102.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg worm.jpg (62.8 KB, 41 views)
Unread 04/16/2018, 12:58 PM   #13
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Have you tested for nitrates/phosphates in that tank?
How long as it been setup?

I don't see much if any bacterial mat with those bubbles there and it really doesn't look like cyano or dinos but maybe just nitrogen gas from beneficial bacterial processes..

I would still follow through with siphoning whatever is there off as much as possible during a few water changes and see how that goes..
Or just pulling out the rocks and giving them a scrub in 50% old tank water/50% peroxide for a surefire way.. Then rinse in some more old tank water and back into the tank..

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:05 PM   #14
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
... it was my mistake to get rock from Big Al's
LOL just out of curiosity where about's are you located? Big Al's charges $12/lbs for their cured LR so I know the purchase from them couldn't have been cheap.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
Unread 04/16/2018, 01:19 PM   #15
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

Phos = 0 Nitrates = 0

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:21 PM   #16
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
LOL just out of curiosity where about's are you located? Big Al's charges $12/lbs for their cured LR so I know the purchase from them couldn't have been cheap.
Oh yeah,,, it was $293.57 inc taxes for 20 lbs... I used it to seed 25lbs of new Marco rock...

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:22 PM   #17
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Oh yeah,,, it was $293.57 inc taxes for 20 lbs... I used it to seed 25lbs of new Marco rock...
Not sure where your located... but your in Toronto or the GTA you can find great deals on LR from locals.

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:22 PM   #18
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

oh i'm North Bay, Ont... it was Big Al's Barrie

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:24 PM   #19
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

I now have 4 40 Gal breeders with marco rock in them cycling, I'm also setting up 2 75 gallon with rock from "Real Reef Rock" to cycle as well.. so people in my area can get some that's cheap and ready

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:26 PM   #20
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

I'll keep workin away at this tank to see if i can beat this stuff... And Mcgyvr, I can hit those bubbles with a turkey baster and they will float up and then float fast with the current and head straight back down onto the rock

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:28 PM   #21
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

Oh and the bubbles are all over the sand too

Unread 04/16/2018, 07:55 PM   #22
UnderCoverDork
Registered Member

how long has the tank been set-up for?

UnderCoverDork is offline   Reply With Quote