Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 11:44 PM   #1
KingPringles
Registered Member

Leaking Bulkhead!

After a few frustrating hours of plumbing my new tank upgrade, I still have a leaking bulkhead on my return pipe. New bulkhead, gasket on the water side, cleared of any sand, dried before install, no silicone/epoxy/Teflon.

Currently dripping from the outer part of the nut at 1 drop every 15-20 seconds.

Do I need to worry or is this something salt creep will correct (so I've read).

Thanks,

KingPringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:26 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

I would worry about and fix it. Unfortunately it is likely to get worse and worse until a disaster. It can be tricky to get that rubber gasket in just the right place. Inspect the bulkhead for any cracks or deformations. If still in doubt, grab another one. A low cost to replace vs a high cost should a disaster occur.

Unread 03/22/2018, 04:47 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

They are also very easy to over tighten (leading to leaks)... Just hand snug then 1/4 turn is all you should need..

Unread 03/22/2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Julius Chen
Registered Member

make sure the nut is on the opposite side of the gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julius Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 07:59 AM   #5
FoothillCorals
Premium Member

Do you have the gasket on the flange side or on the nut? It should be on the flange.

FoothillCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 08:06 AM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Dripping plumbing will often self seal over the course of a few days, though it depends a little on the location of the bulkhead and whether it is installed properly.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 12:25 PM   #7
Justdrew
Dad with Triplets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPringles View Post
After a few frustrating hours of plumbing my new tank upgrade, I still have a leaking bulkhead on my return pipe. New bulkhead, gasket on the water side, cleared of any sand, dried before install, no silicone/epoxy/Teflon.

Currently dripping from the outer part of the nut at 1 drop every 15-20 seconds.

Do I need to worry or is this something salt creep will correct (so I've read).

Thanks,
It doesn't matter if the gasket is on the wet side or dry side, it needs be on the flange side of the bulkhead. Depending on the direction your bulkhead is installed, the gasket may end end up on the dry side of the tank if that is where the flange is.

If it was over-tightened they are very easy to crack.

Current Tank Info: 40 Breeder, 2X Radion XR15W, Vortech MP40 & MP10, Simplicity Aquatics 240DC Skimmer, Apex Controlled
Justdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 03:17 PM   #8
KingPringles
Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments folks. Checked the bulkhead for moisture the past two mornings and they've been dry. Gasket seems to have settled and sealed properly. Moment of truth tonight when I get home from work and try wet running the system..

KingPringles is offline   Reply With Quote