Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2018, 11:07 AM   #1876
Bryan3536
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I believe viparspectra is the same light but has built in features, 1 cord?

Yes.

This thread has boomed since I last looked at it almost a year ago. I went with the viparspectra and have 3 on my 180.

I run a softie tank so I cannot comment about sps growth etc, but that said these are very good for the price paid. Had no problems with the tank which was previously on 250w MH's.

Hey Spartan can you tell me exactly which 3 lights you got and approx cost? Lighting a new 180g and don’t think I will have anything but softies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 08:17 PM   #1877
reeferfoxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbardwel View Post
this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCSbukB3Ieg makes a lot of interesting points about these Chinese "black box" lights, to me the most worry-some is their use of super cheap non-UL listed power supplies which may pose a fire hazard, backed up by the fact that they don't seem to be sold by any retailer that one would have a realistic chance of suing if they burn something down
First question: Does anyone know a UL listed intermediate between these super cheap lights and the $650 level lights like the radion XR30w? I am finally thinking of converting over my 31" deep 300 gallon which is mainly lit by 1200W MH pendants and
a couple of T5s and LED strips, I would want a lot of light
AI is made by Ecotech. I would look into the Hydra series as they make UL listed power supplies. Unfortunately they are prone to premature failure. However, replacement power supplies are affordable. As far as other companies making UL listed power supplies or drivers? Nope. I think if you fall down the rabbit hole of researching it, you'll find the UL fight a moot point.

reeferfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 10:29 AM   #1878
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbardwel View Post
The second point the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCSbukB3Ieg makes about these Chinese "black box" lights is that they have a very focussed beam, with excessively high par values near the center of the beam that fall off precipitously near the edges. Is anyone aware of an equally detailed study of how the par values drop off after a diffuser is put in?
I ended up removing all the stock 60 degree lenses...put 90 degrees on half of the leds and left the other half lense-less (for 120 deg spread). The laser beam effect in them middle was greatly reduced...and spread was much better..while still getting enough PAR to the bottom half of the tank.

Overall...just takes some playing around with...but the stock 60degree lenses the black box comes with standard are it's biggest issue IMO.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 10:32 AM   #1879
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Honestly need a new "black box" thread...this one is just too massive.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 10:15 AM   #1880
Bryan3536
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpuck View Post
I ended up removing all the stock 60 degree lenses...put 90 degrees on half of the leds and left the other half lense-less (for 120 deg spread). The laser beam effect in them middle was greatly reduced...and spread was much better..while still getting enough PAR to the bottom half of the tank.

Overall...just takes some playing around with...but the stock 60degree lenses the black box comes with standard are it's biggest issue IMO.

Hey where did you get the different lenses? How hard was it to swap them out? How high off tank (and what tank) did you mount after the lens change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 03:15 PM   #1881
PyroSteve
Registered Member

Out of the black box models, which would be better for a standard 29 gal. 30”x12”x18” tank. I’m thinking th 300W would be too big and overkill? I’m looking at the WIFI model with 90 degree lens. I’m guessing I would need to remove the lenses and keep it low to the tank? I plan on keeping the rock work to 21” wide.

PyroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 09:43 PM   #1882
maddmaxx
Registered Member

i believe the 300w is wider then a 29g so that would be pointless to install and have that much light spill over the ends of the tank. the 165w would beast a 29g honestly, especially since you plan on having a 21" scape

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 06:23 AM   #1883
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Im still in the process of setting up my tank, and Ive finally got my canopy built and the light set in it. Im using the MA 300w unit. I laid white paper on the bottom of the tank to see the pattern and I have 1 spot that is miscolored, its on the white channel. It almost looks like 2 of the LED's are focused intensely on that spot.

Is there anyway to correct this? I also have thought about changing the lens angle and wondering what lenses to get.

Str8linespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 01:03 PM   #1884
garygonzales
Registered Member

I've heard some people have put on diffusers to correct that problem

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 01:28 PM   #1885
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygonzales View Post
I've heard some people have put on diffusers to correct that problem
I've seen that fix and I have the diffuser sitting on stand by, but I wanted to try to fix the problem first.

Unread 03/27/2018, 08:48 PM   #1886
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8linespeed View Post
I've seen that fix and I have the diffuser sitting on stand by, but I wanted to try to fix the problem first.
only thing i can think of is reseat the actual diodes that are in question. they may be slanted when installed... i would try that 1st and when you reassemble the unit add the diffuser you have....

Unread 03/28/2018, 11:09 AM   #1887
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
only thing i can think of is reseat the actual diodes that are in question. they may be slanted when installed... i would try that 1st and when you reassemble the unit add the diffuser you have....
Alright, thank you. I'll give that a try.

Unread 04/03/2018, 06:23 PM   #1888
Harpo
Premium Member

Massive thread. I've read most but maybe missed it: For a 90 gal standard 48 inch x 18 inch for mostly zooanthids, fish, mushrooms, maybe montipora would 2 or 3 of the Mars Aqual 165 be appropriate?

Price is so good it is tempting to give them a try.

Thanks, Mark

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 07:43 PM   #1889
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Massive thread. I've read most but maybe missed it: For a 90 gal standard 48 inch x 18 inch for mostly zooanthids, fish, mushrooms, maybe montipora would 2 or 3 of the Mars Aqual 165 be appropriate?

Price is so good it is tempting to give them a try.

Thanks, Mark
i would imagine you have a center brace. 3 would work, 4 would be optimal

Unread 04/28/2018, 07:16 AM   #1890
triscene
Registered Member

Any tips on my fixture i tried to tune?
I have used one of the improved LED layout and applied it and did some personal changes. I looks now like this.

I am running blues on 100% but whites on 25% because it is still two white. I like bluish look.
What happens if i change maybe 40% of 20000k for 440-470nm?
Will my grow stop? Algae or color just improves?
Thanks

Odoslané z D5503 pomocou Tapatalku

triscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2018, 05:21 AM   #1891
triscene
Registered Member

No customs? Or show yours

Odoslané z D5503 pomocou Tapatalku

triscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 05:41 AM   #1892
Justamy
Registered Member

I wanting to change the fans on my Mars Aqua and bought some Arctic F8 12v dc fans. It comes with 3 wires yellow, green and black. What colour cables do I need to connect.

thanks

Justamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 11:57 AM   #1893
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justamy View Post
I wanting to change the fans on my Mars Aqua and bought some Arctic F8 12v dc fans. It comes with 3 wires yellow, green and black. What colour cables do I need to connect.

thanks

Yellow and black should be full 12v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 03:37 PM   #1894
Justamy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
Yellow and black should be full 12v.

Thanks, just to be sure I connect the Yellow cable from fan to the Red cable in the fixture and Black from fan to Black in the fixture.

Justamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 04:58 PM   #1895
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justamy View Post
Thanks, just to be sure I connect the Yellow cable from fan to the Red cable in the fixture and Black from fan to Black in the fixture.

Yup.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 03:04 PM   #1896
themummra
Registered Member

My white channel won't work due to, I'm guessing, a lose outlet that caused it to flicker on/off in a place I just moved into. Can I fix it? Already replaced the outlet

themummra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 03:09 PM   #1897
TT_Vert
Registered Member

Describe the problem? Flicker or nothing at all? What if you lower the brightness all the way. I've had a rash of bad power supplies lately. Under warranty but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get warranty repair. I seriously have gotten three different answers from them on the actual warranty. I took a screen shot of their web page which shows the warranty and they don't even know it. Regardless, they've disappeared since. With that said, I've gotten pretty competent in repairing these. I've had one w/ bad caps cause issues and another I'm still working on the PS as it's got some very strange behavior. Of course this is on top of the constant 3W LED replacements and diodes. Pretty annoying at this point to be honest.

When I sent that screenshot of warranty the reply I got was as follows below. I'm confident they hope you won't do any research and will just go away when they say there is no warranty.
Quote:
Dear Dave,
Sorry about that. I am a new worker here. Could you please provide the warranty card for us?
Could you please take some pictures and video to us for the problem you met?
We will ask our engineer to give you a solution.
Best regards

TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 11:12 PM   #1898
TT_Vert
Registered Member

LOL a bit off topic but still OT.
The warranty debacle w/ these guys continue. Consider this before buying.

Just an FYI. For those thinking of buying these, reconsider. I purchased w/ a 3 yr warranty and now they are saying when I BOUGHT it was a 2 year warranty which isn't true. THEN they say this, basically saying using these as a light for a fish or coral tank that they will fail and there is nothing they will do to resolve it except sell me another at 10% off!!
This was what they said (Try to decipher)

"Firstly for the problem you described, after our engineer analysed they said the seawater evaporation and it will permeate to the light and it will erode the light bulbs/ PCB/ power supplies and so on. As we known, the light shine to seawater in long-term and the seawater will evaporate then this aquarium light won't work too long. So they will suggest us to change a new light.
If you want to change a new light rather than shipping accessories we are willing to give you 10% discount for you by old customer discount on amazon.

Secondly after we check the link you sent. We covered 2 years warranty for the led aquarium light at past. We cover 3 years warranty in this year on amazon. So you need to be responsible for shipping fee/handling fee and parts fee.

Looking forward to your reply.
Have a nice day~

Firstly for the problem you described, after our engineer analysed they said the seawater evaporation and it will permeate to the light and it will erode the light bulbs/ PCB/ power supplies and so on. As we known, the light shine to seawater in long-term and the seawater will evaporate then this aquarium light won't work too long. So they will suggest us to change a new light.
If you want to change a new light rather than shipping accessories we are willing to give you 10% discount for you by old customer discount on amazon.

Secondly after we check the link you sent. We covered 2 years warranty for the led aquarium light at past. We cover 3 years warranty in this year on amazon. So you need to be responsible for shipping fee/handling fee and parts fee.

Looking forward to your reply.
Have a nice day~

TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 06:27 PM   #1899
pfan151
Registered Member

I’m sure it’s somewhere on this thread but does anyone have a pic of the layout of what LEDs are recommended to be changed on the 300watt mars aqua. Or even better do any of the black boxes now come with violet LEDs? I have a couple 165w on my 90gal now and actually really like the stock color but I haven’t seen any with the violet. I bought another brand black box for a frag tank and hated it. I don’t remember the brand and the labels fell off but the blues made the tank look like windex.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 01:36 PM   #1900
thejollyroger
Registered Member

Thread is way old but wanted to chime in, I have the MarsAqua Dimmable 300W LED Aquarium Light, on a 48-49 Gal bow front and these lights are great, I run my whites at about 30% and my blues at 40% but I kept a couple of DIY Led light bars I made from hardware bought at RapidLED online, these are basically Cree Royal Blues and UV's so its totally full spec now. and at first burnt my corals before I cranked them down to where they are now. all and all I am not sorry for purchasing these. been on my tank. for a bit over 7 month now/

thejollyroger is offline   Reply With Quote