Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Mudbeaver
Registered Member.

My clam wants to lay low

My clam doesn't want to stay up right. I've done what i was told to put a flat rock underneath. And it stays for a while but return on its side. Then i put rock besides it it still manage to go on its side.

I thought the lights might be to strong, she's on the bottom. Its a Tridacna crocea , The sand is 2" deep, but the rock i just put a week ago didn't help either.

Any ideas?? She seems fine 3" wide i feed Utlraclam, Ultramin S, UltraOrganic, UltraminS Ultraseafan thats all for my sponges and gorgonias so she's getting her fair share plus phytoplankton every 2 days.

Mudbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2014, 10:01 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've got a Red Sea maxima that does the same thing. I put it upright, then the next day it is back on its side. Most frustrating. Am thinking of using epoxy putty to cement a banana shaped rock on the down wind side to prevent it rolling.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2014, 04:57 AM   #3
moliken
Registered Member

put the crocea up high in your rocks. they prefer rock to sand.

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

my new clam, lower right. it seemed to want to list to one side so i put a small piece of rock there for support. so far, it's staying upright.
 photo 1_zps17bbe20b.jpg

photo clam_zps486c606f.jpg

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Mudbeaver
Registered Member.

Smile

Ok well i don't feel so bad now, lol. It has a foot and can move itself, so i presume it moves the way it wants to be. Since i feed her maybe she doesn't need that much light after all. On my picture she's on the sand , but since then i've put her on a rock and she's still moved on her side. So i'll leave her be i guess she must be comfortable that way, thanks for sharing.

Unread 04/24/2014, 06:58 AM   #6
llandegfedd
Registered Member

Crocea tend to need a huge amount of light, as much as you can throw at it.

llandegfedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2014, 09:43 AM   #7
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

clams, especially crocea, need light, not food.

no reason to feed non-juvenile clams.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

Quote:
However, it is important to note that no matter how much a tridacnid eats, it still needs bright light and apparently cannot make up for a lack of light with more feeding. Tridacnids are never found in dim/dark waters, regardless of the availability of planktonic/particulate foods, and I tried feeding a couple of them copious amounts of phytoplankton in a low-light aquarium with no luck, either. They eventually had to be removed to save them.

When it comes to absorbing nutrients, tridacnids can take them directly from seawater via the use of a specialized tissue that covers their surfaces (Fankboner 1971, Goreau et al. 1973, Wilkerson & Trench 1986, Fitt et al. 1993, Belda & Yellowlees 1995, Hawkins & Klumpp 1995, and Ambariyanto & Hoegh-Guldberg 1999).

Thus, any notion that their sole means of acquiring nitrogen, phosphorus, etc. is through filter-feeding is incorrect, as nitrogen and phosphorus are primarily taken directly from the surrounding seawater in forms other than plankton or detrital particles.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...2209819290030E

Quote:
We conclude that autotrophy is the major source of carbon to this clam, potentially capable of satisfying all respiratory requirements of the host.
http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/proc...les/m10-07.pdf

Quote:
Although recent research into ecological and physiological background of different stages of the life cycle of clams made commercial aquaculture possible, there is still a high mortality with early stages. While juveniles rely on both heterotrophic and
autotrophic feeding, adult clams depend more on available light.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2014, 04:37 PM   #8
Mudbeaver
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
Thanks then my question becomes , why is she avoiding the light by going on her side every time i put her straight up, Thats what i dont understand.

My feeding is done for others( Gorgonians, christmass tree, sponges, carnation, NPS) filter feeders by the way its happens she's benefitting from it. ( My set up is made for it, too long to explain here, go to my thread if you want to know.

Unread 04/24/2014, 05:11 PM   #9
Mudbeaver
Registered Member.

I've just played with different rocks to put under her, by the way i made a mistake its a Maxima , by the way totally mixed them up here, sorry just my second clam. Anyway i've notice the size of her foot. The small rock i've put under here is small, and what i figure happens is everytime she tries to fix herself to the rock she tumbles and gets into the horizontal position. No a good position for her since she needs the light and thats why she's gaping. Now that i've put her vertical again her gaping has diminished. She's still very responsive and retracts her mantle at fishes approach so thats good, and if i walk near by.
So i'll suround her with bigger rocks untill she fixes herself up right on one of the small surrounding rocks and then take the rest away. Hope it works.

Unread 04/24/2014, 06:17 PM   #10
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

What kind of lighting do you have? My clams will sometimes do the shimmy shake dance to align themselves with the light better. Occasionally knocking themselves over in the process.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Unread 04/25/2014, 07:07 AM   #11
Mudbeaver
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
What kind of lighting do you have? My clams will sometimes do the shimmy shake dance to align themselves with the light better. Occasionally knocking themselves over in the process.
Maxspect Rasors 16K my tank is 21" high, so plenty because i bleach some coral when too strong. And she's right underneath it. I made sure. But since i've put the rocks she's staying put for now.

Unread 04/25/2014, 12:08 PM   #12
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

I've found with my LEDs that my clams seem particularly interested in lining up with them in a certain fashion, I would assume to get the most light. That could also contribute a bit to their restlessness.