Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2015, 06:37 PM   #176
teemee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noy View Post
Thanks, I live in Canada and there are not too many online places that offer NPS (mostly zoa and SPS frags).

The gorg tank is a 60 gallon cube. I use the Apex AFS to dump dried foods (reefroids, NLS spectrum, assortment of FM stuff) 5x throughout the day. I also supplement with 2 feedings - In the AM i drop 6 small cubes of frozen rotifers and oyster feast, PM - i will drop in cyclopeez, oyster feast, harvest my baby brine shrimp and rotifers.

The equipment isn't too fancy - Jebao WP-10 x 2, Jebao return pump, Reef Octopus skimmer, Nextreef media reactor for Rowaphos, carbon in bags. Mangrove pods and some decorative macroalgae in the refugium.
wow - what are your water changes like?

teemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 07:29 PM   #177
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemee View Post
wow - what are your water changes like?
try to do it weekly (20 g at a time), I use rowaphos like there is no tomorrow

noy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 07:40 PM   #178
noy
Registered Member

My Weekend Score!

Orange Paddle Sponge
orange_sponge

ok, this makes up for the crummy gorg I bought with it.

Lobo
IMG_2231a
a bit of skeleton showing - we'll see if it recovers.

Monomyces
IMG_2233a

From a while back but colouring up very nicely

Last edited by noy; 04/28/2015 at 08:01 PM.
Unread 05/25/2015, 09:55 AM   #179
Rusland07
Registered Member

Those sun corals are beautiful!

Rusland07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2015, 09:53 PM   #180
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusland07 View Post
Those sun corals are beautiful!
thanks!

Unread 06/06/2015, 10:40 AM   #181
noy
Registered Member

Woke up to this with my Clown Gobies

IMG_2250

godyeggsst1

Unread 08/25/2015, 10:32 PM   #182
Hope_L
Registered Member

I am in the process of reading through your whole thread but in the meantime can you tell me about your brine shrimp. I feed my dendro freshly hatched brine shrimp sometimes. My question is where do you get your brine shrimp, do you raise them if so can you explain the process. For some reason ours never grow big like yours. My mom has dwarf sea horses so she hatches brine shrimp ever day to feed them. She has tried and failed at getting them to grow into adults, any advice? Also so far what I have seen of this thread makes me come to the conclusion that you are the king of Suns!!! All I can say is wow! You have my complete respect and admiration lol!!!

Hope_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 06:57 AM   #183
laga77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope_L View Post
I am in the process of reading through your whole thread but in the meantime can you tell me about your brine shrimp. I feed my dendro freshly hatched brine shrimp sometimes. My question is where do you get your brine shrimp, do you raise them if so can you explain the process. For some reason ours never grow big like yours. My mom has dwarf sea horses so she hatches brine shrimp ever day to feed them. She has tried and failed at getting them to grow into adults, any advice? Also so far what I have seen of this thread makes me come to the conclusion that you are the king of Suns!!! All I can say is wow! You have my complete respect and admiration lol!!!
No need to try to grow out the shrimp. You can target feed new born brine shrimp directly onto the corals. I do this on a regular basis. The new born shrimp are probably more nutritious than trying to gut load adults.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 07:36 AM   #184
Hope_L
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laga77 View Post
No need to try to grow out the shrimp. You can target feed new born brine shrimp directly onto the corals. I do this on a regular basis. The new born shrimp are probably more nutritious than trying to gut load adults.

Thanks! That's what I have been doing, so I'll just keep doing it!

Unread 08/26/2015, 08:41 PM   #185
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope_L View Post
Thanks! That's what I have been doing, so I'll just keep doing it!
its not cost effective to grow out bbs to adult unless you are doing on a commercial scale. i get live brine from a LFS who in turn gets a large vat of the stuff from a commercial source. I feed live only occasionally - maybe once a week at best.

Unread 08/26/2015, 08:49 PM   #186
Hope_L
Registered Member

Quote:
its not cost effective to grow out bbs to adult unless you are doing on a commercial scale. i get live brine from a LFS who in turn gets a large vat of the stuff from a commercial source. I feed live only occasionally - maybe once a week at best.

Thanks Noy! My mom raises dwarf seahorses which she hatches brine shrimp for so I have fresh hatched readily available. She was interested in trying to grow them out into adults for purposes other than just corals but hasn't had much success. When I saw your video I thought maybe if she did get them to adult size I could also feed those occasionally.

Unread 09/11/2015, 07:22 AM   #187
Qckwzrd
Registered Member

what temperature do you keep your tank @Noy and what would you say is the ideal temperature to keep tubastrea and dendrophyllia?

Current Tank Info: Killies, lungfish and nano...all in seperate tanks :)

Last edited by Qckwzrd; 09/11/2015 at 07:42 AM.
Qckwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2015, 08:36 AM   #188
noy
Registered Member

around 75-78 - temperature isn't a significant factor

Unread 12/17/2015, 09:23 PM   #189
noy
Registered Member

Recent and Past acquisitions

Just a few updates on cool stuff i got recently.
Please excuse the photo quality really need to clean the tank glass a bit. Also, I need to adjust the lighting to a more narrow spectrum.

Balanophyllia (probably)
This specimen is colouring up very nicely. You see the green hue ring surrounding the mouth. It was a very distressed specimen when i got it - almost colourless. Eats very much like a Rhizo the way the mouth opens up - not sure whether this makes it a Balanophyllia. This one is getting Rhizo-sized. However, it doesn't grow runners like a Rhizo.

IMG_2561

A different Balano. A little more yellow and smaller than the prevous one.

IMG_2562

Either a yellow diaphana or according to a recent 2014 article an unidentified species. This is a very difficult species to rear - i started from a small *but very distressed) colony to losing all but 1 polyp and then having it come back again. It probably took me 2 months before i got it to open.

IMG_2563

Pink/Purple Dendro
Very excited about this find. Not even close to identifying it. I have never seen this coloration before - sorry for the bad photo - i have to clear the gorgs out of the way for a better shot. Its finally starting to eat.

IMG_2566

Monomyces
While doing maintenance i put my original colony too close to the Rhizos and it got stung to deal. Reloaded with 3.
IMG_2568

Walking Dendros
So excited about these. They are true to their name and walk all around the tank (so you need to "fence" them off so they don't get stung or sting others. This is a super cool coral. A symbiotic worm inside the coral enables it to move around.

IMG_2570

T. Faulknari (probably)
Completely excited about this. Found this decaying in a LFS - you can see most of the flesh has disintegrated between the polyps. I thought this was a goner when the polyp would not open for 2 months. It took putting in a new powerhead and pointing it at the coral to get any type of response. Now it opens regularly so i hope to restore it. You can't really see it from this angle but the polyps are very sparely situated.

IMG_2572

Last edited by noy; 12/17/2015 at 09:36 PM.
Unread 12/18/2015, 08:02 AM   #190
laga77
Registered Member

Noy, you are much too busy to care for these new corals. I would be more than happy to take them off of your hands to help out. Just call.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2016, 12:32 AM   #191
Saxman7
Registered Member

Noy, I'm loving your thread and all your amazing finds! could you possibly pm who you purchased the monomyces and diaphanas from? I'd love to get some.

Regardless, Do you notice a significant size difference in T.Micranthas as opposed to other tubastreas? mine are more the size of dendros than other suns.

Saxman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2016, 07:09 AM   #192
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman7 View Post
Noy, I'm loving your thread and all your amazing finds! could you possibly pm who you purchased the monomyces and diaphanas from? I'd love to get some.

Regardless, Do you notice a significant size difference in T.Micranthas as opposed to other tubastreas? mine are more the size of dendros than other suns.
I live in canada - i got the monomyces from a canadian wholesale/retailer (bigshow frags). About a year ago they were being sold as Rhizo or baby Rhizos all over North America. The diaphana I got from another LFS (NAFB - North American Fish breeders). I don't think either one is setup to do exports. You best bet is to develop some relationship with local wholesalers/retailers to get them to order NPS corals for you - a lot of LFS don't bother because of low turnover and mortality rates. Wholesales often get very interesting stuff as part of a larger shipment - but most retailers (or sub-wholesalers) don't order those because its not economical. I'm fortunate in that we have a few LFS that do their own importing so there is often some NPS corals as part of a larger shipment.

The micranthas polyps can grow much bigger than "normal" coccinea's. Some species of Tubastraea (like faulknari) natural have very big polyps - these are very uncommon.

Quote:
Noy, you are much too busy to care for these new corals. I would be more than happy to take them off of your hands to help out. Just call.

Unread 01/06/2016, 03:23 PM   #193
Saxman7
Registered Member

Quote:
I live in canada - i got the monomyces from a canadian wholesale/retailer (bigshow frags). About a year ago they were being sold as Rhizo or baby Rhizos all over North America. The diaphana I got from another LFS (NAFB - North American Fish breeders). I don't think either one is setup to do exports. You best bet is to develop some relationship with local wholesalers/retailers to get them to order NPS corals for you - a lot of LFS don't bother because of low turnover and mortality rates. Wholesales often get very interesting stuff as part of a larger shipment - but most retailers (or sub-wholesalers) don't order those because its not economical. I'm fortunate in that we have a few LFS that do their own importing so there is often some NPS corals as part of a larger shipment.

The micranthas polyps can grow much bigger than "normal" coccinea's. Some species of Tubastraea (like faulknari) natural have very big polyps - these are very uncommon.

Thanks for the info Noy, that's my current struggle, cause most of the whole salers down here in florida don't seem to really get access to any of these species... i'll keep searching!

Saxman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2016, 04:25 PM   #194
Limestone maker
Registered Member

nice ! very good looking system and great Pics ! Rhizo in this part of the world ehh ? been trying to hunt one down for years !

Limestone maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 06:51 AM   #195
noy
Registered Member

60 gallon system

fts

Unread 01/26/2016, 09:18 AM   #196
mark54321
Registered Member

Quote:
60 gallon system

fts
Amazing !

mark54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 10:24 PM   #197
Nick James
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54321 View Post
amazing !
+++1

Nick James is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 10:27 PM   #198
Nick James
Registered Member

Noy, if you happen to get a frag of a pink/ purple dendro pls pls let me know. I am driving distance from you I am also interested in a black/ green tubastrea. I'll have to check with Bigshow next time I go to visit.

Last edited by Nick James; 02/03/2016 at 10:35 PM.
Nick James is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2016, 03:50 AM   #199
bimborocks
Registered Member

Beautiful tank, Ive been looking for ideas for a spare 20gal and I think I just found my inspiration.

bimborocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2016, 09:10 AM   #200
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nallender View Post
Noy, if you happen to get a frag of a pink/ purple dendro pls pls let me know. I am driving distance from you I am also interested in a black/ green tubastrea. I'll have to check with Bigshow next time I go to visit.
will do. bigshow brings in nps stuff regularly.

Quote:
Beautiful tank, Ive been looking for ideas for a spare 20gal and I think I just found my inspiration.
Thanks, thats what these threads are for - getting ideas from others!