Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Paul Whitby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Hdhuntr01
Registered Member

GEO 818 Product Review

In the product review there is a paragraph that I don't quite understand and maybe you would clarify for me please...

The first step in getting the reactor working is regulating its water feed. Large tanks need a higher flow through a given reactor than small tanks. Determining the actual flow through the system requires a little effort and time to figure out, as described below. The best way to do this is to start with a flow of 1-2 liters per hour through the system. Fortunately for me, I needed a large flow so I left the control valves fully open. The effluent end of the pipework was arranged so that it entered my sump in an area of high water flow/turbulence. This helped blow off any excess CO2 in the effluent and mix the high alkalinity and calcium contents of the effluent.

Referring to regulating the reactor water feed. Are you referring to regulating the effluent flow by use of the Flow Regulator Tap? I am running a GEO 612 on a 150G Reef Tank and it uses an Eheim pump but I am thinking of replaing the Eheim with a Pan World Pump.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750XXL
Hdhuntr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2010, 09:32 PM   #2
pwhitby
Team RC Member

Yes, you are correct. The effluent on a working skimmer is going to have a saturated Ca/Alk level....so XXppmCa/ml.

Increasing the flow increases the amount of Ca and Alk you are adding.

My Ca reactor is fed with an MJ1200

Does that help?

Paul.

Unread 01/14/2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Hdhuntr01
Registered Member

Thanks,

My 612 reactor is fed by a MJ1200 as well. What should the flow rate inside the reactor chamber be? The 818 is powered by a Pan World pump but the 612 is powered by an Eheim 1048 pump. I am wondering if there would be a benefit to swapping out my pump for a Pan World. Can you tell me the flow rating on the Pan World pump on your 818?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750XXL
Hdhuntr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2010, 02:49 PM   #4
pwhitby
Team RC Member

I really have no idea. So long as it recirculates, it really doesnt matter that much.

P.