Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2017, 07:48 AM   #1
rdnyva
Registered Member

Blue/Yellow Combo Recommendations

I’m looking for a small PBT and YT to put together in my display. I have a qt setup with egg rate as a divider down the middle. They will go in there for about a month to observe their behavior. If all goes well they will go in the display.

Is this a good plan? Any recommendstions or opinions on what others have done with this combo.

Vertex Omega 180i Skimmer
ReefBreeders Photon 50 V2
rdnyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 10:02 AM   #2
rdnyva
Registered Member

Well, I haven’t gotten any replies on my original post so I’ll ask in a different way.

What is your opinion of the method I have outlined above or as an alternative should I just QT separately and then add both to the display at the same time and hope for the best?

Unread 12/17/2017, 02:59 PM   #3
rockslide123
Registered Member

Sounds like a reasonable plan. PBTs are usually more aggressive than YTs so as long as YT is significantly larger should be ok. If not go YT first week later PBT

rockslide123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 03:33 AM   #4
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

They can both be azzholes in a QT since QT tanks are usually smaller. Keep them well fed and this will help a lot. Tangs are like the people on reality TV shows - probably otherwise normal, decent humans, but when cramped up with their needs not met and overly stimulated, they turn really stupid.

I have kept lots of tangs in my tanks including clown and sohal. They are all pretty decent citizens if you feed them enough to have them grow a inch, or so, a year until they get to about 75% of max size and then they don't seem to grow much more than this for me in captivity even if I have them for 10+ years. They should be nice and thick. Mysis, pellets (NLS, Formula II) should make up most of their diet - nori can be some of it, but not a large portion. Get an autofeeder and feed them 3x a day with pellets and then add in some nori and mysis 5-6 times a week at night.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 07:22 AM   #5
rdnyva
Registered Member

Good points. I guess I need to rethink this. I have a 33 long that is divided in half, my plan was each would get one side but could see each other through egg crate. Having read your advice this may not be a good idea. If they don't settle down and get along in the qt I could not put them in the display since they would know each other and bring the fighting with them (do fish even think like this?).

I would like to qt them first so maybe the divider should be solid so they can’t see each other. When qt is over, then move them both up to the display at the same time. Is this a more reasonable approach. I’d still be taking the chance of them going at each other in the display.

This whole situation came up because I just rehomed a 5 inch PBT that I’ve had for 3 years. He just got too big for my 150. He went to a 300 gal system.

Unread 12/18/2017, 12:37 PM   #6
scooter31707
Registered Member

IMO, 150 is too small for a PBT.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 03:05 PM   #7
rdnyva
Registered Member

I respect your opinion Scooter, but it doesn't relate to the question I asked. And I have to disagree with you. I’ve kept many PBs in the past and even paired them with a YT. If you get them small a 150 is fine.

If you look at my info you will see that I have been on RC for quite some time and have had salt water tanks many years before that. I’m not new to this or have only been here a couple of years.

If you read my original post you will see I had my last PB for 3 years, until he outgrew the tank. I was able to enjoy him for all that time and gave him a good life. I rehomed him to someone who had a bigger tank and ensured he would be given the proper care. To me this is responsible reefkeeping.

My original post was to get some new ideas about procuring and caring for my next PB, and pairing with a YT, it was not meant to involve the Tang Police!