Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2019, 08:44 AM   #26
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
not saying its impossible but I have never in the 12 years I've been doing this seen an emperor even nip at SPS... they always go after zoos and sometimes LPS
What do you think they meant by the fish will go after "stony" corals but it's ok with SPS? Contradictory, no? Or do you think they meant LPS?

The adult Emperor Angelfish, also called the Imperator Angelfish, has a bold, blue body covered with bright yellow horizontal stripes culminating in a bright yellow to orange caudal fin. A striking blue-black mask covers the eyes and a similarly-colored vertical band extends from the pectoral fin two-thirds of the way up the body. This band is highlighted in a sapphire-blue in front, and bright yellow, caudally. The mouth is white.
The juvenile is black with circular white and blue stripes starting at the tail. Although sought after for its colors, in captivity, the adult coloration may not be as striking or brilliant. The changing angelfish will vary in coloration and pattern as it transforms from juvenile to the adult coloration.

The Emperor Angelfish requires a 220 gallon or larger tank with live rock for grazing and hiding. They also require extensive rockwork and deep caves to feel secure. It will nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles, but may be kept with small-polyped stony corals and somewhat noxious soft corals.

It should be fed a diet of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, and other meaty items.

Unread 01/10/2019, 10:58 AM   #27
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

A emperor may pick every now and then at a SPS but won't do it enough to kill the SPS. LPS and all other meaty corals are a toss up, same for the clam. I find that getting fish as juveniles and keeping the tank well fed usually negates the risk involved with fish eating corals. I will * that with every individual fish is different.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2019, 03:47 PM   #28
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
What do you think they meant by the fish will go after "stony" corals but it's ok with SPS? Contradictory, no? Or do you think they meant LPS?

The adult Emperor Angelfish, also called the Imperator Angelfish, has a bold, blue body covered with bright yellow horizontal stripes culminating in a bright yellow to orange caudal fin. A striking blue-black mask covers the eyes and a similarly-colored vertical band extends from the pectoral fin two-thirds of the way up the body. This band is highlighted in a sapphire-blue in front, and bright yellow, caudally. The mouth is white.
The juvenile is black with circular white and blue stripes starting at the tail. Although sought after for its colors, in captivity, the adult coloration may not be as striking or brilliant. The changing angelfish will vary in coloration and pattern as it transforms from juvenile to the adult coloration.

The Emperor Angelfish requires a 220 gallon or larger tank with live rock for grazing and hiding. They also require extensive rockwork and deep caves to feel secure. It will nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles, but may be kept with small-polyped stony corals and somewhat noxious soft corals.

It should be fed a diet of Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, and other meaty items.

"small-polyped stony corals" Thats SPS..... yes they can nip at them but usually they leave them alone

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2019, 04:41 PM   #29
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
A emperor may pick every now and then at a SPS but won't do it enough to kill the SPS. LPS and all other meaty corals are a toss up, same for the clam. I find that getting fish as juveniles and keeping the tank well fed usually negates the risk involved with fish eating corals. I will * that with every individual fish is different.
That seems logical. Do they actually eat cloves?

And how do you get them out if they become a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
"small-polyped stony corals" Thats SPS..... yes they can nip at them but usually they leave them alone
It also says this though:

It will nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles, but may be kept with small-polyped stony corals and somewhat noxious soft corals.

Unread 01/11/2019, 06:51 AM   #30
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

IME no, the Emperor won't eat cloves unless you starve the fish to force them to eat other sources of food in the tank. If the fish becomes a problem you could either make or buy a fish trap or the other alternative is to try and catch the fish at night with a net or if all else fails you have to tear your tank apart. Obviously tearing the tank apart really sucks and most try to avoid it at all costs

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 01/11/2019, 06:51 AM   #31
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
That seems logical. Do they actually eat cloves?

And how do you get them out if they become a problem?

It also says this though:

It will nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles, but may be kept with small-polyped stony corals and somewhat noxious soft corals.

Stony and SPS are different

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 08:01 AM   #32
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Stony=LPS
Small Polyp stony= SPS

Unread 01/11/2019, 03:19 PM   #33
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
Stony=LPS
Small Polyp stony= SPS
Ok, that make sense. I've familiar with SPS and LPS. I had just never heard of LPS being referred to as simply "stony" corals before.

Thanks for the clarification.

Unread 01/11/2019, 03:20 PM   #34
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
IME no, the Emperor won't eat cloves unless you starve the fish to force them to eat other sources of food in the tank. If the fish becomes a problem you could either make or buy a fish trap or the other alternative is to try and catch the fish at night with a net or if all else fails you have to tear your tank apart. Obviously tearing the tank apart really sucks and most try to avoid it at all costs
Well, if it won't for sure eat cloves, no point in risking the health of the fish by starving it. I guess I'll pass on this one. They are beautiful though.

Unread 01/11/2019, 04:10 PM   #35
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Just do the fluke tabs. I did it in my nano to get rid of GSP that was starting to take over the tank (I spent 3 hours with dental picks prying GSP out of the rocks, and it came back within weeks).

Yes, you won't be able to keep xenia for a long time, but I was able to keep Pipe Organ polyps shortly after treating the tank, and the GSP were gone. I got the idea from hearing the side effect of killing GSP when treating the tank with Fluke Tabs for Blue Polyps as had been mentioned earlier.

It looks like you have mostly SPS, so I wouldn't sweat it. It did look like you had some cyano as well, and that might be exacerbated from the additional nutrients being added by dying clove polyps.

I don't like doing chemical treatments, but if you don't have many (or any) softies to lose, I wouldn't hesitate. I did the treatment, with an SPS, LPS, and clam filled tank (with a shrimp and snails) and didn't have a problem. I documented my experience here. Thank you, past me.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2019, 08:40 AM   #36
smatter
Registered Member

It looks like Knopia, not Sympodium.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote