Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2019, 10:19 AM   #1
FSJGUY
Registered Member.

How to get Vagabond Butterfly fish to eat ?

I recently purchased an auriga butterfly fish from petco they hust got in it when i was there so i took it in the bag it came in.. Had him for 3 days now and i cant get him to eat.

Also they called him a auriga/threadfin butterfly but he looks like a vagabond butterfly he has black lines on his rear fins vs a round black spot..

Anyway i tried. mysis shrimp. spirilinia. flakes. nori.. I tried soaking it in garlic. i cant get him to eat any of it. He is plump looking not skinny and he is picking at my live rock looking around the tank for food. he picks at my corals like zoas and stuff which is fine i dont care id rather have the fish eat then worry about 30$ corals.

Anyway he clearly wants to eat but wont eat anything i tried..

What do you guys suggest try ?

FSJGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 11:32 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

If your fish store carries live brine, then almost always works. Live blackworms, if you can get them, are supposedly great.

Another thing to try would be a freshly cracked open clam or mussel from the grocery store.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Cliving1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
If your fish store carries live brine, then almost always works. Live blackworms, if you can get them, are supposedly great.

Another thing to try would be a freshly cracked open clam or mussel from the grocery store.
Agree I have heard littleneck clams are useful. They are also relatively inexpensive

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 01:41 PM   #4
FSJGUY
Registered Member.

I tried a clam and muscle.. havent seen him go after it.. even tried laying a cracked open clam in the tank.. my neon dottyback loved the muscle though hah..

Guess i need to try to find some live food somehow

Unread 01/12/2019, 12:50 PM   #5
FSJGUY
Registered Member.

Well he ate half of my green planet acropora.. so hes eating.. but i cant have him destroy 60$+ coral like acroporas.. zoas i dont care about but yea not for a 35$ fish.

I put him in my empty 30g salt water tank so hes by himself... I know that tank is kinda small for a butterflyfish... but its all i got..

Oh well.. just need to try to get this guy to eat normal food somehow.. nothing is working

Unread 01/12/2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJGUY View Post
Well he ate half of my green planet acropora.. so hes eating.. but i cant have him destroy 60$+ coral like acroporas.. zoas i dont care about but yea not for a 35$ fish.

I put him in my empty 30g salt water tank so hes by himself... I know that tank is kinda small for a butterflyfish... but its all i got..

Oh well.. just need to try to get this guy to eat normal food somehow.. nothing is working
If it’s eating your corals there is little chance you can stop this behavior even after you get it eating prepared foods. You should try to remove it or take it to a LFS

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote