Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Wavemaker placement recommendation

So I just redid my aquascape And I put all the rocks in middle of tank as to create an island..I I have 2 wavemakers..any suggestions on placement..I was thinking at ends one pointing behind the rocks and the other more towards water line for movement..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 01:54 PM   #2
smilinteddy
Registered Member

Depends on what kind of flow you are looking to create I think.

Will you be running the pumps the same (i.e. two pumps on the same side of the tank doing the same thing to replicate their flow pattern over a wider area) or in opposition? (Ie pump on either side of the tank alternating when they are on)

Do you want to create a verical pattern gyre flow in your tank? (Both pumps high on top on one end of the tank shooting to the other end of the tank and water traveling down the opposite side wall, and then back across the bottom of the tank) "Horizontal" gyre flow pattern (basically a circular flow pattern that would kind of rotate around your Rock Island)Do you want turbulent flow?

Knowing what your end goal is will help people advise you more accurately. If you're undecided what kind of flow pattern you should establish in your tank, that would be something you need to figure out and then people can help you place your pumps to best achieve your desired flow pattern.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

smilinteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinteddy View Post
Depends on what kind of flow you are looking to create I think.

Will you be running the pumps the same (i.e. two pumps on the same side of the tank doing the same thing to replicate their flow pattern over a wider area) or in opposition? (Ie pump on either side of the tank alternating when they are on)

Do you want to create a verical pattern gyre flow in your tank? (Both pumps high on top on one end of the tank shooting to the other end of the tank and water traveling down the opposite side wall, and then back across the bottom of the tank) "Horizontal" gyre flow pattern (basically a circular flow pattern that would kind of rotate around your Rock Island)Do you want turbulent flow?

Knowing what your end goal is will help people advise you more accurately. If you're undecided what kind of flow pattern you should establish in your tank, that would be something you need to figure out and then people can help you place your pumps to best achieve your desired flow pattern.

Thank you for taking the time to assist...
Well I was thinking circular I guess to eliminate dead spots as much as possible.
Turbulent flow is nice also lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 02:24 PM   #4
smilinteddy
Registered Member

If you're looking for circular flow (i.e. flow doing laps around your rock island) you could try these placements and see what works best for you/your pumps/your tank.

One pump on left side near front glass about halfway down(or up) from tank bottom. Other pump on right side near back wall. This should create a sort of "water vortex" current as the pumps push water along each wall of the tank. You could then experiment with the height placement of each pump to play with the force of the created current (more in line should create a faster narrower current, the farther apart you move them from in line with each other should weaken the current but widen it.

You could also try to establish a horizontal gyre type flow. If you put both of your pumps say on a side wall near either the front or back wall spaced more or less equidistant from each other, it should allow you to start a flow pattern going along that tank wall, hitting the side, traveling along that opposite side, then back towards the pumps along the back wall. It would be similar to taking a gyre flow pump and mounting it vertically instead of horizontally. If you have wavemakers that are variable/programmable this might be a cool placement because you could slave them together and vary the flow speed to create varying speeds of gyre flow. Brstv has some really informative videos regarding flow and also ways you can replicate a gyre flow with traditional wavemakers.

https://youtu.be/lSyXKpl2xEs

https://youtu.be/uYx0F2ryOTs

A bit of trial and error will probably be necessary.

smilinteddy is offline   Reply With Quote