Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Scotch_c
Registered Member

Personifer & Scribbled Angel Question

Has anyone heard or seen a personifer or scribbled angel growing and eventually becoming male in a home aquarium? Will having two different sizes of female make that happen in a 500+g tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotch_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 06:07 AM   #2
Scotch_c
Registered Member

Anyone?

Scotch_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 03:11 PM   #3
alton
Registered Member

Creating larger angels in pairs is something new, in the past unless they where collected as a pair no one tried it except for Imperators. Today many of us are trying it since like myself have done it with Flame and other pygmy angels. My current project is getting two blue face to pair. I started with a large adult and a juvenile. Six months later I have a large and a sub adult that seem to get along. Scribbled pairs are fairly common from DD. Personifer like the scribbled are fairly rare, so not many people have them.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 11:03 PM   #4
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch_c View Post
Has anyone heard or seen a personifer or scribbled angel growing and eventually becoming male in a home aquarium? Will having two different sizes of female make that happen in a 500+g tank?

Yes
I and many others here have done that. If the different is big enough it works better. Emporer same size is no problem. Scribbled same size is a problem buy a tiny one may be 4 cm and a bigger one may be 10cm in my opinion. 4cm and 5 cm and you will get trouble. But it will work also to pair if they don't kill each other.

Greetings Torben

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2019, 03:29 PM   #5
nonstopfishies
Registered Member

I bought 2 a couple years ago that were co-existing. The pic above is of the larger of the two, the pic is a bit old and the fish has very slowly continued to add more stripes, but it never fully colored up to male.

Ultimately, the 2 eventually started fighting and had to be separated. The smaller of the two actually has passed the bigger in coloration in turning male, but has not fully made the transition at this point either. Both have elongated bodies, male looking tails and some horizontal stripes, but the stripes do not have the sheen.

I have decided in an effort to have a pair and have one turn full male to buy another scribbled. A very small 2-2.5" and pair it with my current scribbled that is farther along. Going to sell the big one above. Hoping that will do the trick.