Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2017, 06:53 AM   #1
Shrinkette
Registered Member

65 gallon or 40 gallon breeder??

Hello all!

New to the forum, but not to the hobby. However coming back to it after a few years, so I guess I consider myself "new again."

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which tank to invest in? A 40 gallon breeder or the taller 65 gallon?

I wanted to do a small reef with some easier corals, maybe an anemone, and perhaps some McCoskey's wrasses as the centerpiece? But I'm totally undecided.

Canister or HOB filter?
Stocking suggestions?
How difficult is a sump tank?

The only must have is a Wardi Tiger Goby.

Thanks so much.

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon nano with soft corals -- 57 gallon native species tank with northern pipefish and friends
Shrinkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 07:50 AM   #2
sde1500
Registered Member

I'm partial to the 65. Definitely a sump. They are fantastic for hiding equipment. I'd suggest drilling the tank for an overflow to the sump. I use a HOB overflow and it works great but it cant take the GPH I'd like and it's slightly noisier.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 08:26 AM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

Since you want to have a small reef with some easier corals, maybe an anemone, and perhaps some McCoskey's wrasses, I suggest you get the bigger tank and use a sump. With the larger water volume, I find the tank will be more stable. A sump requires some sort of over flow and pump. It will allow you to use chaeto, filter socks a skimmer and other things to help with nutrient export if you wish. It is a little work to set up, but then your water changes will not be as much as with out one.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 07:48 PM   #4
Shrinkette
Registered Member

Thanks so much for the speedy response!

How does a sump actually work (sorry for the ignorance) -- I've seen several, but just don't quite get how it works. Is it like a a really big filter?
Many thanks --

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon nano with soft corals -- 57 gallon native species tank with northern pipefish and friends
Unread 12/09/2017, 08:12 PM   #5
N8C
Registered Member

sump

A sump is a secondary (usually below) tank that catches water which overflows from your DT (display tank) and returns water back.

They are handy for several reasons.... you can stash a heater, skimmer, and other equipment in there. They add volume to your total water system which can protect against swings in PH, temp, salinity, etc.

Just one sample...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1846238

Hope that helps. Good luck.

N8C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 08:18 PM   #6
on the spot
Registered Member

well that was redundant.

N8C give a good explanation.

and is clearly a faster typist. typist? keyboardist?

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 08:29 PM   #7
lapin
Registered Member

Yes a sump is a filter system. I have attached a diagram of a simple design. You can google for more designs. The first chamber is where the tank water drains into. This usually contains a skimmer to remove waste like fish poo and excess food. The second chamber might contain sand, rock rubble and some plant life. These will process some of the chemical waste produced by your tank. The third chamber contains a pump to return water to the tank. You can place your heater and other such items in the sump for a cleaner display tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump.jpg (34.3 KB, 13 views)
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 08:44 PM   #8
Shrinkette
Registered Member

So glad I joined reefcentral -- can't tell you how much I appreciate the patience.
Thank you, lapin and N8C -- I am a renter, and would need something simple --
The owner of the house is loving my tanks.... so far...
I have to keep it simple.
The explanation of the sump, lapin, was right at my level, thank you. It looks like something I could do. The fish rooms were amazing, N8C -- and a little intimidating, lol!

And I think typist is just fine, on the spot : )

The sump does seem complicated -- is it possible to keep water parameters good without a sump?

Unread 12/09/2017, 08:49 PM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

You can absolutely maintain a tank without a sump. The sump just offers a place to put more equipment out of sight. All you really need are rock and sand and water changes and you'll be fine.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
Unread 12/09/2017, 08:53 PM   #10
Shrinkette
Registered Member

Thanks, sde1500!
I could see myself in a house of my own with a fish room! The timing just isn't right at the moment -- but I want to learn all I can!!!

Unread 12/09/2017, 09:03 PM   #11
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkette View Post
Thanks, sde1500!

I could see myself in a house of my own with a fish room! The timing just isn't right at the moment -- but I want to learn all I can!!!

I'd love a fish room. Might convert part of the basement to one if I get a bigger tank in the future. Plenty run a sump directly under the tank though. It doesn't have to be remote. Mine is right under the tank and it works just fine. Housing some extra media, a skimmer, heaters and the chaeto reactor.

Unread 12/09/2017, 09:51 PM   #12
Jon0807
Registered Member

I have a 40 breeder and would have liked a few more inches of height. Gives room for corals to grow and gives you just that much more room for aquascaping. Plus the extra water volume is always good. And if you're able to have one, I'd go with a sump. My first reef tank had a bunch of HOB equipment and I love how most of the equipment can now be out of the display tank and out of sight. It also allows for much more filtration.

Unread 12/10/2017, 10:32 AM   #13
newbie2014
Registered Member

I have a 40B. It’s bare bottom and sumpless. I took the skimmer offline once the tank matured, after a year or so. I only run carbon in a reactor.

Personally I’d like a few inch taller, but not more than 20in high. That way I can reach the bottom front and back without a step stool.

newbie2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 12:58 PM   #14
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

The biggest you can afford and have room for.
Once your hooked, your hooked and its a big job to upgrade in size.
You do not need a sump, I have run my 70g for more than 25 years without one.
What I do use is a double layered 3inch sand bed with a screen between the two layers and a 1" space below this substrate, I drag the water from this space up a 1/2 inch pipe by powerhead, thus the water falls through the sand bed and is cleaned, plus a simple aqua clear filter and skimmer. Easy to maintain and cost effective.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 04:00 PM   #15
NS Mike D
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkette View Post
Thanks so much for the speedy response!

How does a sump actually work (sorry for the ignorance) -- I've seen several, but just don't quite get how it works. Is it like a a really big filter?
Many thanks --
saltwater tanks that have corals benefit from low levels of NO3 and PO4. saltwater fish have a much higher tolerance of nitrates than do corals. canister filters and hob filters can do the job, and they are very good at mechanical filtration and biological conversion of ammonia to nitrites and then nitrates.

the sump "berlin" method and variations thereof, focus on removing nutrients before they breakdown (filter socks and protein skimmers) exporting (macro algae). cannister filters would require frequent cleaning, like every 2 or 3 days (a filter sock would also require the same frequency, but much easier especially if you have a few to hold your over til laundry day)

Again, this isn't the only way, but it is one of the most common. and if you decide to go with a sump, it has the added benefit if keeping hardware out of your tank.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 11:06 PM   #16
luckyk0505
Registered Member

Bigger the better

luckyk0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 11:44 PM   #17
Abstract3000
Registered Member

get the 65g then Wait for Petco's $1 per gallon sale and buy the 40 breeder to use as a sump and have 100 Gallons! Much easier to keep parameters stable, and more room in the Display for corals

Abstract3000 is offline   Reply With Quote