Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/29/2015, 08:15 AM   #1
homer1475
Registered Member

homer1475's Biocube 29 Build Thread

So After hijacking everyone elses thread, I guess I should stop and make my own build thread. Just keep in mind I'm already 3 months into my "Build".

Lets start off with a little background on myself and the experience in the hobby.

When I was a young boy(think I was 8), I remember going to a bait and tackle shop with my grandfather(my parents got a divorce before I was 3, so my grandparents pretty much raised me), and seeing all the bait fish in a tank, and the bait store had a small FW tank with some guppies in it. Thinking this was the coolest thing I had ever seen, I was bitten by the bug.

A few short months later I started my first 30G FW tank(which I still have and has survived many many moves). flash ahead 10 years and I was bitten by the SW hobby when my LFS started selling SW stuff and setting up his own tank. Back then not a lot was known about SW like it is now, so we basically set up "reef" tanks which for the lack of a better term is what we call a FOWLR tank now. Started with 55g tall tank, all went well for the most part for 3 years until we had a huge microburst which killed power for several days. I had several anemones, several feather dusters, a dwarf lionfish, a mated pair of perculas(hella expensive back then), a panther grouper, scooter blenny, and a mandarin dragonnet(didn't know any better back then, and my LFS just wanted to sell me stuff). Long story short, after the power outage, I lost the entire tank and was done with the hobby. When your in your twenties, several thousands of dollars loss was too much for me, and since we rented, a generator wasn't an option.

Flash ahead 20 years(Of course I now own my home and have a generator as we loose power quite frequently), and again I was bitten by the SW hobby, and talking to my LFS on tank options, I settled on an AIO as so much in the hobby has changed I figured this was the easiest option(didn't even know these things existed). I was torn between the redsea tank, and the biocube. For the price difference I went with the biocube, since I knew I would be replacing/adding my own stuff, and probably tossing all those "extras" you get with the red sea kit. So I started with some videos I followed on youtube about setting up a biocube. Threw out the bioballs(knew those were junk before hand), bought the aquatic life 115 skimmer, a couple hydor korralia 425's, kept the stock lighting for now, neotherm heater(fits in the last chamber), some sump sponges, 40L of seachem matrix media, couple media bags, reef crystals salt mix, 45 pounds of live rock from several LFS's and god forbid, PETCO, 35 pounds of caribsea live sand, and some RO/DI water.

Did the shrimp cycle method(we used to do fish cycle back in the day). Tank cycled in as little as 3 weeks with all the actual live rock and sand. My first inhabitant was a small zoa frag I bought at PETCO(keep in mind my now LFS is a 2 hour drive and petco is only an hour, the LFS I use for FW doesn't handle much SW and really doesn't have the knowledge I crave). I then did some digging on the net for fish I wanted and came across this site, so glad I did, this is a great place for the beginner and advanced hobbyist alike!!! So after joining and reading a few nano threads I decided to join in and (sorry again clown) I ended up hijacking someone else build thread that was doing the same exact thing I was, and setup his tank right around the same time( show clown some love and visit his thread, there is a ton of info for beginners on nano tanks in there. Clownfish's Build Thread) I found a wealth of information from reading and asking question around here. Again this is a wonderful place with many helpful members who are more then willing to share their knowledge. Just a few along the way that have helped me include but certainly not limited to, sk8tr, snorvich, soulpatch, clownfish, Barryv, muchoreef,(sorry if I spelled any ones nick wrong) and I'm sure many more I can't think of right now.

All is going well as planned(fingers crossed it stays that way), have added several pieces of equipment, re aquascaped a couple times, and god help me, I seem to be getting a grasp on this hobby and what it takes to keep things going well.

I can tell you from experience, first thing anyone wants to do with a biocube, dump the bioballs, false bottom, right angled return(just use a little longer hose, you won't believe the flow difference), the stock "fan" return(lok line will work with the stock "plug" on the back wall), and do not pay attention to the level marks on the side, those are for the recommended levels with the bioballs.

Ok enough with the BS, I know everyone wants to see the tank pics and its inhabitants. So without further ado.....

First shot of the tank, already have my CUC in there as well as my very first coral(small zoa frag).

After I aquascaped several times and decided on this setup. I believe at this point I have my hammer, cleaner shrimp and maroon clown.

So here is some current photos of my tank

My frogspawn

Hammer

Couple feather dusters/tubeworms

Beautiful Gorgonian my wife just had to have.

Couple zoa/paly frags, and Pulsing Xenia.

And a complete tank shot.

My current inhabitants are as follows:
1 flame angel
1 maroon clown
Brarium Gorgonian
2 Hawaiian feather dusters
2 frags of zoas(no Idea on the ID, and I don't really care. I'm not into the fancy names)
2 paly frags, 1 I know is nuclear green palys, the other not sure on the ID
Small 2 head hammer frag
Small 1 head frogspawn
Pulsing Xenia
2 Emerald crabs
3 bumblebee snails
3 margarita snails
4 narcissus snails
3 red leg hermits
Sand sifting sea star

I want to add a black capped basslet and possibly a royal gramma or purple firefish, and an orange octospawn(both on order from my LFS)

Sorry for the long read, but since I'm 3 months into this, I wanted to provide some background and what I've done up to this point.

Hope everyone enjoys the read and I welcome any and all comments.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"

Last edited by Sk8r; 05/31/2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: owner request
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 08:56 AM   #2
BarryV
Registered Member

Very very nice tank.
Thanks for shareing......
Barry

BarryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 09:00 AM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

Thanks BarryV!!

Your comment in clowns thread actually inspired me to sit down and write this up.

Unread 04/29/2015, 11:46 AM   #4
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing, looks like a really nice setup you have going.

Have you considered removing filter floss and any of the other particulate catching stuff you have in the back chambers, so that you can just keep detritus in circulation for the large amount of filter feeders you have?

What are you feeding otherwise for the filter feeders?

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 12:55 PM   #5
homer1475
Registered Member

I turn off all the pumps(15 to 20 minutes) and remove the filter floss while I feed Kent microvert twice a week, as well as reef chilli on 2 opposite days. I also feed once a week, a mixed up mash of shrimp, clam, scallops, and mysis. I don't really find to much detritus in my display section or in the back chamber. What is there gets sucked out with water changes weekly.

The more I write in here and think about things, I'm beginning to think I might want to look into a controller, an ATO, and a dosing pump or 3. lol There goes the summer vaca...

Unread 04/29/2015, 12:57 PM   #6
soulpatch
Registered Member

I leave floss in even with my filter feeders but I turn off the return pump, skimmer, and reactor during feeding and for 10/15 minutes after. When I feed the finer stuff the pumps stay off for about an hour to help ensure everything gets its food. Spot feeding corals and such also helps.

I like how you did a split return with the loc line. I might look into doing that myself.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 12:58 PM   #7
soulpatch
Registered Member

Get an ATO first. You shouldnt need dosers at your stock level as I still havent had a need to turn mine on yet.

Unread 04/29/2015, 01:07 PM   #8
homer1475
Registered Member

If you do the split return, you'll also want to get a little longer return hose and ditch the elbow. you won't believe how much more flow there is without it. I was considering upgrading the return pump for more flow after I split it since the water only dribbled out, but read someplace about just removing the elbow for more flow. It works great and I get nearly twice the flow now. No need to upgrade the return now, and with the split, I use my powerheads more for whole tank circulation then flow on the corals. With this setup I have one small deadspot directly in front of the rock next to the glass on the left hand side.

Unread 04/29/2015, 01:10 PM   #9
soulpatch
Registered Member

Interesting. I cant say I had issues witht he amount of flow from the return line but more always helps. I have tubing laying around I could swap in there pretty easily.

Sounds like a weekend tinkering project for me.

Unread 04/29/2015, 01:11 PM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

1/2 loc line works, the only issue I had was the snub out on the back wall. I superglued the Y section to the snub out. It slid in on its own, but didn't feel solid.

Unread 04/29/2015, 06:27 PM   #11
JakeK
Registered Member

Great looking tank. I will follow along and learn as much as I can. I just started a BC 29 too which is my first SW tank. Not much to show for it yet though since I'm still going through the cycling process.

I'm curious to know where you got the dual head return from. That looks like something I might be interested in.

JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 01:41 AM   #12
homer1475
Registered Member

It's loc line, they make all kinds of hose products.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-.../loc-line.html

Unread 04/30/2015, 11:38 AM   #13
svynx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
If you do the split return, you'll also want to get a little longer return hose and ditch the elbow.
I'm assuming you are talking about getting a longer flex line that bends into the output vs. using the elbow to turn the 90 degrees. Got a pic of what you did?

Current Tank Info: Biocube 29, Aurora puck LED
svynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 12:58 PM   #14
homer1475
Registered Member

Exactly what I did. Saw a video on youtube where some guy did it, as well as splitting the return, thought it was a good idea so I tried it.

Kinda hard to get pics from the back with the hood up, water circulating, no light, and with a cell phone.

Unread 05/01/2015, 05:38 AM   #15
homer1475
Registered Member

Just had someone from here that lives close to me, offer me an orange octospawn they no longer want, and isn't doing good in their tank. Waiting for pictures, and a reply.

Unread 05/01/2015, 07:31 AM   #16
soulpatch
Registered Member

If you ever come down my way I would either take you to my LFS or let you "shop" my LPS. I am always looking at something else to swap in. HA HA

Unread 05/01/2015, 08:32 AM   #17
ReefWreak
Registered Member

octospawn/frogspawn will be a nice addition! If it isn't doing well, you might want to read up on brown jelly disease and how to disinfect corals with it before you take it and add it to your tank, just in case. It should do really nicely in your tank.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2015, 08:46 AM   #18
soulpatch
Registered Member

Yeah when you get pics post them up. Could be something simple like the other tank had bad lights or flow or something more serious like brown jelly that need to be treated.

Unread 05/01/2015, 06:39 PM   #19
homer1475
Registered Member

I did some reading up on that as well as a few other diseases that affect corals. Quite an interesting read!

ReefAquarium.com - Coral Disease

Hasn't sent me any pics, but did tell me the torch sitting right next to it is doing great.

As a side note:
Don't torch's sting other euphillia? Could be why it's not doing so well?

Unread 05/01/2015, 06:41 PM   #20
soulpatch
Registered Member

Can't have those two together so chances are his torch was attacking it. Hammers, frogspawn, and octospawn are ok together but need to be separate from torches

Unread 05/01/2015, 06:45 PM   #21
homer1475
Registered Member

I was editing my post to add that question, when you posted. lol

Unread 05/01/2015, 06:46 PM   #22
soulpatch
Registered Member

You should cover your web cam. And put some pants on. Lol

Unread 05/01/2015, 06:49 PM   #23
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
You should cover your web cam. And put some pants on. Lol
What?

Unread 05/01/2015, 07:04 PM   #24
Spinelessspade
Registered Member

Great thread, love reading build threads like these, hope you have luck with your octospawn

intelligence is the ability to adapt to change-Stephen hawkin
Spinelessspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2015, 07:10 PM   #25
soulpatch
Registered Member

Was implying I could see what you were writing...