Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/08/2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Playapixie
Registered Member

help: what happened to this chromi?

Help! One of my green chromis looks like he has been in a major battle. There is a huge chunk missing from his forehead and a large gash up and down on his right side. It really looks more like injuries than any kind of parasite Iíve ever seen. It looks like heís either been mauled by another creature, or caught in a blade, but the only moving thing in the tank is a vortec MP10, and Iíve never witnessed aggression between my fishes or inverts (1 clown, 1 watchman goby& Randall pistol shrimp pair, 1 tailapot blenny, 3 chromis, two different cleaner shrimp, porcelain crabs, small hermit crabs.) Iíve heard of chromis beating eachother up but Iíve never seen mine pick on eachother. The chromis have been in the tank 4 months and all of the other fish have been residents for years. There are no other signs of illness.

The best way to describe it is like something took a chunk out of his head and another chunk (or laceration) on his side. The tissues on the injuries appear to be sloughing somewhat, but are not especially discolored except pale. The uninjured parts of him look fine.

The fish is swimming in the open and schooling and acting mostly normal except he doesnít seem to eat. He acts interested like the others but doesnít even try to eat. Otherwise he isnít behaving bothered or abnormal at all.

He was last seen normals 2-3 days ago (Iíve been gone during the days so havenít had a close look in the tank for a couple days.) These fish are routinely fed 3 small meals a day.

This is a well-established and very healthy 32 gallon mixed reef.
Nitrate 3-4 and extremely stable for years. Ca 425, alk 10, mag 1350, all three are on dosing pumps and stable. This tank is well maintained and nurtured.

Any idea what this is? Does it sound like any kind of illness or parasite? Or what could have injured him? Treatment?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9100.jpg (51.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9099.jpg (57.8 KB, 10 views)
Playapixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Playapixie
Registered Member

sorry, this phone photos turned out terrible. I'll see if I can get more clear ones.

Old 08/08/2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Playapixie
Registered Member

A few more photos, also unfortunately poor. He's far to active to shoot with the camera I have available.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9101.jpg (55.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9103.jpg (60.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 08/08/2018, 07:27 PM   #4
Jason9488
Registered Member

Chromis will fight with each other until one is left.

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Yup, 6 will be 5, will be 4....etc.....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2018, 10:10 PM   #6
Playapixie
Registered Member

You're saying that the other chromis ripped huge chunks out of this one? Even though I've never seen any aggression between them? I've heard of them chasing other fish to jump, but are they really cannibalizing him? And the acting like nothing happened?

Granted I don't think there are other things in the tank that could/would do that either. I was wondering if any disease could present like this. Because it's really horrible if his little school did this. :-(