Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2017, 11:58 PM   #26
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Are u going to plumb the chiller in the shed too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 12:07 AM   #27
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycnibrc View Post
Are u going to plumb the chiller in the shed too

As of right now, I have no plans to use a chiller. I've never needed one in the past even when living in Corona with outside temps in the 90's. I rather turn on the A/C and cool down my whole house instead of just the tank with a chiller.

I think the hottest it's gotten here at my house was 82 degrees in the summer!

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 12:15 AM   #28
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

I run my reef at 77 so I always need a chiller even though with all the DC pumps heat always found its way to heat up the tank

ABC corals

Unread 05/17/2017, 12:22 AM   #29
Chris_S
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
Got a shipment today, the UV sterilizer and plumbing parts came in for the mixing station. I made two mistakes when placing the order for the plumbing. I ordered a slip x slip union instead of slip by thread for the pan world pump. I also ordered a bulk head instead of a uniseal. For some reason, I thought the top of the containers were horizontally flat, it's sitting at a slight angle. So I'll have to place another order for the two slip by thread unions and a uniseal. I'm trying to look for a used EB8 and PM2 for the shed but haven't had any luck. May just add these to the order also.

I went to work on the mixing station and got everything dry fitted. Will glue everything together when the unions and uniseal arrive.

This thing is huge!

Plumbing Parts

Cam lever, this thing is pretty cool. I'm going to have two sets of hoses, one to pump SW all the way back into the house for larger water changes when necessary and a short hose to fill up buckets with SW or RO water when. The cam lever is sort of like a quick disconnect.

Here is the mixing station dry fitted. I didn't complete the top portion, waiting for the correct parts to get here. I will have to trim some of the pipes to get the tanks to sit a little closer together before gluing. There's not much space in the shed.

Definitely liking the red PVC pipe. It's a nice touch.

Unread 05/17/2017, 01:28 AM   #30
JaySchulz
Registered Member

I'd love to hear more info on the KHG Alk Monitor. Are you using the dosing feature as your only method of maintaining the tanks KH? Or are you using a calcium reactor in conjunction? Does the unit require a certain bi carbonate solution?

I'm looking forward to following your build and it definitely looks like you are off to a great start.

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 01:11 AM   #31
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
I run my reef at 77 so I always need a chiller even though with all the DC pumps heat always found its way to heat up the tank

Hopefully, fans will be enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
Definitely liking the red PVC pipe. It's a nice touch.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
I'd love to hear more info on the KHG Alk Monitor. Are you using the dosing feature as your only method of maintaining the tanks KH? Or are you using a calcium reactor in conjunction? Does the unit require a certain bi carbonate solution?

I'm looking forward to following your build and it definitely looks like you are off to a great start.
I only plan to use the KHG as a monitor only and will adjust my doser accordingly. If I needed to, I can adjust my doser from my phone or laptop.

If you were to use the KHG to help supplement your alk until you adjust your doser or Calrx, you would have to make up a solution with baking soda per the manual's instruction. Currently you cannot use your own alk solution to dose as the KHG is set to dose accordingly based on the strength of the baking soda solution.

They are coming out with a monitor only version if you don't plan to use it to dose your tank.

There is a big thread on another forum regarding the KHG if you're interested in more info, PM me.

Unread 05/19/2017, 01:50 AM   #32
mike810
Registered Member

Tank and stand is in the house and my monkey in the tank inspecting it.

Unread 05/19/2017, 04:44 AM   #33
mike810
Registered Member

Question, is it a bad idea to plumb the UV sterilizer off the return and dump it back into the return section? I know I will be recycling some sterilized water back into the UV but will it deminish the UV's performance drastically?

Unread 05/19/2017, 05:39 AM   #34
Chris_S
Registered Member

What a great idea for a tank and stand design. It looks so inviting you want to grab a drink and take a chair at your water bar.

Is that the 72 liter sized RE water tank? I had no idea that their water tanks also include internal LED lighting, like the Dreambox itself has.

Unread 05/19/2017, 06:11 AM   #35
cincyjim
Registered Member

This is an awesome build! Please keep on informing us

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 07:43 AM   #36
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
Question, is it a bad idea to plumb the UV sterilizer off the return and dump it back into the return section? I know I will be recycling some sterilized water back into the UV but will it deminish the UV's performance drastically?
Hi Mike the main purpose for the UV light is to clarity the water so I don't think u need to return it straight to the main tank. Regarding parasite I don't think UV light can do much to kill it. I plumb my UV outlet to the frag tank and return to the filter sock

ABC corals

Unread 05/19/2017, 07:53 AM   #37
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Hey Mike u didn't mention what type of reef u going to keep. But for the volume of your tank it's will be tough to keep up with alkalinity dosing in the future when your coral are growing to colonies size. I only use my doser to supplements calcium and magnesium but my geo cal reactor keep my alk stable at 7dkh

ABC corals

Unread 05/19/2017, 08:19 AM   #38
Snaredrum
Registered Member

Excited to see this come together.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Snaredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2017, 10:34 AM   #39
jmad147
Registered Member

Awesome might be an understatement

Always love to see a detailed build thread, thanks for sharing.

jmad147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 01:23 AM   #40
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_S View Post
What a great idea for a tank and stand design. It looks so inviting you want to grab a drink and take a chair at your water bar.

Is that the 72 liter sized RE water tank? I had no idea that their water tanks also include internal LED lighting, like the Dreambox itself has.
It's the 95 liter water tank. I had RE put leds in the dream box, water tank and dosing containers. I have a sofa right in front of the tank, I predict I will be taking a lot of naps there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
This is an awesome build! Please keep on informing us
Will do!

Quote:
Hey Mike u didn't mention what type of reef u going to keep. But for the volume of your tank it's will be tough to keep up with alkalinity dosing in the future when your coral are growing to colonies size. I only use my doser to supplements calcium and magnesium but my geo cal reactor keep my alk stable at 7dkh
It will be SPS dominant with some LPS and very few softies. I will start off with the doser since I already have it on hand. I'll try kalk when demand rises or make the switch to a Calrx when necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaredrum View Post
Excited to see this come together.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmad147 View Post
Awesome might be an understatement

Always love to see a detailed build thread, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for tagging along!

Unread 05/22/2017, 01:53 AM   #41
mike810
Registered Member

High and low float switches for the ATO container. There's also a float valve and PMUP install. I will have an RODI line run from the shed to the ATO container. I will be installing a solenoid to automatically shut off the RODI when full. The lower switch will send me a text when the water gets low. Then I can go into the Apex and turn it on, the high switch will trip the solenoid, turn off the RODI and text me so I can manually turn a valve to shut off the line completely. The float valve will be an emergency. There will also be another emergency shut off I haven't installed yet. I'll take a pic once that is setup. I do not feel comfortable letting the Apex automatically fill the ATO container.

High and low float switches for the sump. One of the float switch bracket broke so I'll have to fix that. I may switch to the Neptune ATK once that becomes available. I can't get the image to flip correctly.

Float valve for the ATO line going into the sump.

Probes installed.

LED lights for the stand

LED lights installed in the stand

Magnetic switches installed on every right door to turn automatically turn on the LED lights in the stand,sump,ato container and dosing containers.

Apex panel nearly complete. Waiting to finish the plumbing and MP40 driver holders to arrive before mounting to the panel. I left a space open between the WXM module and breakout box for the FMM module I plan to get in the future. I'll begin programming the Apex in Fusion.

Unread 05/22/2017, 01:55 AM   #42
mike810
Registered Member

Was able to hide a lot of the cords. I'll have to buy some cord raceways to mount to the back of the apex panel. Once I mount the four mp40s, two tunzes 6255 and vortech battery back up, I'll have a ton more cords and power adapters I need to manage.

Installed a light, the RODI unit, booster pump, pressure switch and auto flush in the shed. Waiting on a EB8 and PM2 to arrive. What do you guys do with the probes in the SW container? Do you just let it dangle at the bottom of the tank? I plan to install a temp probe and salinity probe. Waiting on more RO lines to come in so I can run lines from the intake to the RODI unit and the RO waste line to the drains. BRS shipping department has been seeing my name pretty often, LOL. I will also run an RO line into the house to the ATO container.

Some non reef related news. I got word that the exhaust I've been waiting weeks for will be arriving Tuesday!!! The month of May is turning out to be a great month, getting a lot of new toys. Not so great on the wallet, there's a big burning hole in it.

Unread 05/22/2017, 04:55 AM   #43
cincyjim
Registered Member

That's a very nice looking setup! This is going to look great I'm sure.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 08:06 AM   #44
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Hey Mike regarding the salinity probe I used it and I have to tell u they are not that accurate if u relied on it to mix your salt u asking for trouble. Monitor the salinity in the tank may be a better task for it. With my system the apex only monitor temp, salinity, pH but I don't use it to control. For temp I use 2 ranco controller heat/cool. With my cal reactor I use Alan le regulator and I dial it so it never turn on and off the apex only shut down co2 when it pass 6.5 ph in reactor. Apex is a great controller however it can fail and if u relied on it to control your tank then crash can happened.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Unread 05/22/2017, 10:10 PM   #45
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
That's a very nice looking setup! This is going to look great I'm sure.
Thank you!

Quote:
Hey Mike regarding the salinity probe I used it and I have to tell u they are not that accurate if u relied on it to mix your salt u asking for trouble. Monitor the salinity in the tank may be a better task for it. With my system the apex only monitor temp, salinity, pH but I don't use it to control. For temp I use 2 ranco controller heat/cool. With my cal reactor I use Alan le regulator and I dial it so it never turn on and off the apex only shut down co2 when it pass 6.5 ph in reactor. Apex is a great controller however it can fail and if u relied on it to control your tank then crash can happened.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
The probes going into the SW container will not be used to control salinity or anything like that, its more for a quick glance for info. Figure I'll just add them since I needed a PM2 out there to add a breakout box for float switches. Salinity will still be manually checked before WC along with other parameters. I always have another thermometer in the DT and SE container to cross check.

Unread 05/22/2017, 10:17 PM   #46
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

I thought u use the probe to mix salt

ABC corals

Unread 05/29/2017, 02:26 AM   #47
mike810
Registered Member

Been a little busy but was able to get some stuff done. I am hoping to get the tank wet by the end of the week.

I wasn't planning on building a base for the shed but it being made out of plastic and the floor it's resting on has a slope to a drain, it was flexing like crazy. Quick trip to Home Depot and we have a base.

I have quite a few extension cords behind the tank because a lot of the cords wasn't long enough to reach the 8-9 ft to the Apex panel so I bought these. It's made out of silicone and creates a water tight seal between the two cords. These are used for outdoor application.

This outlet sits directly behind the tank and right under a return line. I wasn't comfortable leaving it as is so I installed a outdoor weather proof outlet.

KHG and leak dectector in place. The leak detector will cut off the RODI water supply to the ATO container if it senses a leak. I will have a solenoid in place to shut off the water when the high level float switch gets triggered. If the solenoid is stuck on, the float valve should cut off the water. If the float valve fails, this leak detector is my last line of defense to prevent a flood.

Here is what the Apex panel looks like.

Here is what the back of the Apex panel looks like. A good majority of the cords hidden away. I hate cords and it was a task hiding all the cords that comes with having a large tank.

I played around with the rocks and this was the scape I came up with. My last tank, I went with three pillars and minimal rock. I'm a fish guys first and all the fishes in my previous 240G had literally no where to sleep. The smaller fishes were able to fit into some of the small crevices but my larger tangs had no where to sleep. There also wasn't much space for corals. So the focus this time around was to make a lot of caves, crevices for the larger fish to sleep and more space for tons of SPS corals.

Unread 05/29/2017, 10:18 AM   #48
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Love the apex panel I wish I have the time to install my apex better. Is the blue line the edge off the tank? The rock scape look pretty close to the glass

ABC corals

Unread 05/29/2017, 10:26 AM   #49
Heuristic
Registered Member

Well, ya... There's no way I'm passing this thread up. Subscribed

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 01:18 PM   #50
ArmanS
Registered Member

Great build.