Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2014, 12:23 AM   #101
sirichok
Registered Member

Growing Sesuvium portulacastrum in styrofoam until full system roots are fully developed and then Sesuvium portulacastrum will be planted at the top of the tank where the assembled rocks protude out of water .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2577.jpg (83.1 KB, 354 views)
sirichok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2014, 12:25 AM   #102
sirichok
Registered Member

As you see in this picture ,Sesuvium portulacastrum developed roots and near ready to be transferred to the main display tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2578.jpg (40.4 KB, 306 views)
Unread 08/18/2014, 04:54 AM   #103
dave.m
Registered Member

Could you explain a bit why you want to plant sea purslane? Are you trying to recreate a particular site, or are you planning on making pickles (Atsarang dampalit)?

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2014, 07:30 AM   #104
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Could you explain a bit why you want to plant sea purslane? Are you trying to recreate a particular site, or are you planning on making pickles (Atsarang dampalit)?

Dave.M
As I have mentioned before , I am trying to mimic the nature as much as possible . I already have mudflats in my sump growing mangroves and I am trying to create salt marshes as another way to export nutrients and also as aesthetic to cover my water inlet pipe.

"Nutrient cycling within saltmarshes can also have a significant effect on coastal and estuarine water quality. In this respect, healthy, functional saltmarsh habitat may have an important role to play in the control of nutrients which are important in determining water quality and, ultimately, human health. Saltmarshes within estuarine and open coast systems contribute to the cycling and availability of several key elements that are crucial in regulating biological productivity. For example, studies in France, England and The Netherlands, have shown a net export of dissolved nitrogen out of the saltmarshes (Boorman et al., 1994). The same study also showed net exports of phosphorous, albeit in much lower concentrations than nitrogen."
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...07bmkh-e-e.pdf

Unread 08/18/2014, 08:34 AM   #105
dave.m
Registered Member

Okay, thx, that document explains a bit about your design, although it is about the run-off of freshwater rivers into the oceans in a temperate environment. However, I see what you are striving for.

I don't know how to scale something like these environments versus the size and bio-load of the reef aquarium you are planning. It will be interesting to watch both tank and sumps mature over time. In nature, the reefs are surrounded by huge areas of sand and mudflats that act as a different kind of filter. I don't think you could scale something like that.

Dave.M

Unread 08/18/2014, 09:28 AM   #106
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay, thx, that document explains a bit about your design, although it is about the run-off of freshwater rivers into the oceans in a temperate environment. However, I see what you are striving for.

I don't know how to scale something like these environments versus the size and bio-load of the reef aquarium you are planning. It will be interesting to watch both tank and sumps mature over time. In nature, the reefs are surrounded by huge areas of sand and mudflats that act as a different kind of filter. I don't think you could scale something like that.

Dave.M
I agreed Dave , nothing beats the nature. But us humans have tried so much to strive nearest to nature. I am sure, a century ago , no one in the right mind would say that we can create mini ocean in our tank. Some one would have said the same sentence that you said " I don't think you could scale something like that" But here we are , us humans were able to have our mini oceans in our living room . I might fail in my endeavour but I will able to sit down in the distant future , and no longer have to think back " what if's , should have's " . As you know nothing beats the human imagination . I know i am going against the mainstream idea of reef keeping but I was educated as a scientist in the field of pure chemistry , so I have to try something adventurous , may be i will succeed , may be i will fail. C'est la vie
Thanks for your intuitive comment Dave !! Fully appreciated.

Unread 08/18/2014, 09:58 AM   #107
dave.m
Registered Member

Please don't think I'm being negative, Sirichok. The reef-keeping hobby would not have advanced as far as it has today without people experimenting with new techniques and technologies. You have given a lot more information in your last two posts about yourself and your aims with this build which increases my (and everyone else's) understanding of your design and goals.

If you haven't already, may I suggest you try to get books by Stephen Spotte and Martin A. Moe on reef-keeping. They are both scientists and have written extensively on many techniques you may be considering. You may also want to consider investigating Leng Sy's Miracle Mud technique. And of course, the most extensive book on using natural filtration methods on reef tanks was Walter Adey's "Dynamic Aquaria" which introduced many of us to algal turf scrubbing.

Dave.M

Last edited by dave.m; 08/18/2014 at 10:51 AM.
Unread 08/18/2014, 10:57 AM   #108
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Please don't think I'm being negative, Sirichok. The reef-keeping hobby would not have advanced as far as it has today without people experimenting with new techniques and technologies. You have given a lot more information in your last two posts about yourself and your aims with this build which increases my (and everyone else's) understanding of your design and goals.

If you haven't already, may I suggest you try to get books by Stephen Spotte and Martin A. Moe on reef-keeping. They are both scientists and have written extensively on many techniques you may be considering. You may also want to consider investigating Leng Sy's Miracle Mud technique.

Dave.M
On the contrary , I welcome your intuitive comment and do not feel negative about it . And Yes Dave , I have been reading many articles and books ,some of which you have already mentioned before I started my venture into an uncharted water .As a scientist by education but not by profession I am trying to pursue a grand unified theory of linking different kinds of filters when possible. That's why , I have various kinds of filters integrated into my natural reef system which is similar to nature as it does not rely on any particular filtering system. Thanks for your participation . Hope to here from you more.

Sirichok

Unread 08/18/2014, 12:18 PM   #109
neuro
the cat did it

with regards the mangrove or mudflat areas, how did you determine the size you eventually created? Did you calculate the area ratio to possible nitrate reduction? just wondering how well this filtration method scales in large or small tanks

neuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2014, 07:21 PM   #110
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
with regards the mangrove or mudflat areas, how did you determine the size you eventually created? Did you calculate the area ratio to possible nitrate reduction? just wondering how well this filtration method scales in large or small tanks
Well, this is purely guess work as there are so many factors involved , so What I did was to try to create large mudflat and salt marshes areas as much as possible and now it has taken 1/3 area of my garage .My main aim is to encourage natural biological filtration by either plants or microbes hence using less skimmer . But of course this is purely experimental so it will involve trial and error method mostly

Unread 08/18/2014, 07:30 PM   #111
ReefingWerewolf
Registered Member

Cant wait to see this thing get going!!!

ReefingWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2014, 07:36 PM   #112
sirichok
Registered Member

Water inlet pipes coming in with 2 inch eductors and now trying to cover the pipes with rocks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2340.jpg (100.9 KB, 345 views)
Unread 08/18/2014, 07:44 PM   #113
sirichok
Registered Member

Another view of assembling rocks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2341.jpg (96.9 KB, 254 views)
Unread 08/18/2014, 08:38 PM   #114
sirichok
Registered Member

view from the back

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2343.jpg (90.7 KB, 301 views)
Unread 08/19/2014, 05:55 AM   #115
sirichok
Registered Member

More rocks!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2344.jpg (84.8 KB, 194 views)
Unread 08/19/2014, 09:01 AM   #116
sirichok
Registered Member

Stacking another layer of rocks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2378.jpg (81.3 KB, 335 views)
Unread 08/19/2014, 09:33 AM   #117
dave.m
Registered Member

Don't forget to leave growth room for the corals to fill in and still leave lots of open space for the fish to swim. Sometimes people get going with the rockwork and start filling in all the visual spaces, leaving no room for future growth. I would probably remove about 1/3 of the rock you have added.

Dave.M

Unread 08/19/2014, 09:56 AM   #118
griseum
Registered Member

I'm enjoying this build very much. I employ a very similar natural filtration method on a large system as well. If you perhaps have the chance to locate my thread called "My Sharks in HD" i would enjoy hearing your feedback!
The thread was started perhaps 2 years ago, and they system has evolved, and I continues to evolve every day.
There are many videos I've posted with some more recent covering the many refugia.

Link to latest page of my thread

Last edited by griseum; 08/19/2014 at 10:02 AM.
griseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 10:03 AM   #119
griseum
Registered Member

Here's the link
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...2277922&page=8

griseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 10:49 AM   #120
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Don't forget to leave growth room for the corals to fill in and still leave lots of open space for the fish to swim. Sometimes people get going with the rockwork and start filling in all the visual spaces, leaving no room for future growth. I would probably remove about 1/3 of the rock you have added.

Dave.M
Dave, the picture was taken in such an angle that makes it appear overcrowded with rocks but infact there is so much space available. The rock architect is a veteran in this field for more than 20 years and trust me he knows what he is doing. When I post the picture in a correct angle, you might advise me to add more rocks. Sorry for posting a misleading photo.

Unread 08/19/2014, 03:00 PM   #121
yudruln8
Registered Member

wow that sump setup is sick. very nice

yudruln8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 08:41 PM   #122
sirichok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griseum View Post
I'm enjoying this build very much. I employ a very similar natural filtration method on a large system as well. If you perhaps have the chance to locate my thread called "My Sharks in HD" i would enjoy hearing your feedback!
The thread was started perhaps 2 years ago, and they system has evolved, and I continues to evolve every day.
There are many videos I've posted with some more recent covering the many refugia.

Link to latest page of my thread
Thanks Griseum , I went through your 8 page thread . An awesome build , I must say especially the macro fauna part. Hope to keep in touch as you seemed to be ax expert on this filed . Many thanks.

Unread 08/19/2014, 08:46 PM   #123
sirichok
Registered Member

side view shot.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2379.jpg (84.3 KB, 260 views)
Unread 08/19/2014, 08:48 PM   #124
sirichok
Registered Member

Back view shot

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2380.jpg (90.2 KB, 253 views)
Unread 08/20/2014, 03:40 AM   #125
sirichok
Registered Member

Front view. Half way now .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2381.jpg (92.9 KB, 318 views)