Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/20/2006, 10:14 AM   #176
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jezzeaepi
Are decorator crabs bad? I found mine today sitting on top of one of my cup corals, and there was a white spot on it where there was no more coral flesh showing. The rest of it looked perfectly fine. Should i kill the decorator? =(
Decorator crabs will pick up pieces of coral to decorate their shells. In a small tank this can be destructive. In a huge tank it would only be a nuisance. They aren't "bad", they are just doing what comes to them naturally I found two decorator crabs in my rock and I threw them in my sump. Haven't seen them since.

Cup corals can sometimes retract and look dead, try looking at that same cup coral at night after lights out and see if it opens up.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 03/21/2006, 01:32 AM   #177
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Havent had a ton of time to spend with the camera yet so they are still kinda blurry, but here is the stripped worm I was talking about. What is it?

Here is the decorator crab in question. You can see the cupcoral infront of him has a white spot on it, with his claw directly above it. As you can see all the other polyps are doing fine, so it had to be an outside source that caused the coral to start showing skeleton. I looked at it again today and it appeared to be doing fine.

Hes very neat looking so I hope I can keep him.

Tonight I found a comepltly new crab. It looked like it had about the same build as a hairy crab. What was different about it though, its body was compltly black, almost a velvet black. Its legs were black with 3 or 4 white stripes on each leg. He was very neat looking, and I hope I can keep him. Anyone know what type of crab I might be talking about? All my pictures turned out blurry and then he receeded further into the rock, so Ill have to wait for another oppertunity.

Peace,
Jesse

Unread 03/21/2006, 06:46 PM   #178
krajacich
Premium Member

Got him!

I was finally able to get some good pics of my pistol shrimp....he's VERY hard to photograph.

Current Tank Info: 72g bow reef tank with TBS package
Unread 03/22/2006, 10:23 AM   #179
patsan
Premium Member

Oh, you got a good angle of him Danielle. I see mine every day, but mostly in a cave (or 2 or 3), and it's almost impossible to get a good clear full body picture of it.

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 03/22/2006, 10:27 AM   #180
krajacich
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Oh, you got a good angle of him Danielle. I see mine every day, but mostly in a cave (or 2 or 3), and it's almost impossible to get a good clear full body picture of it.
Thanks Pat. I was only able to get a picture of him because I was feeding my sun corals and I sprayed a bit of food towards him. Right after that second picture, the pistol shrimp snapped the serpent star on his tentacle....kind of a "stay away from my food and home" warning I still can't believe something so small can make such a big noise!

Unread 03/22/2006, 11:42 AM   #181
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Very good pictures Danielle! Those orange pistols are so pretty. I got a tiny clear one and that is it!

A friend of mine who ordered TBS with me just upgraded tanks and is having a number of issues. He decided to give me one of his TBS brains that has been on the decline for a number of weeks. I hope I can save it, but it isn't looking very good. About 50% of its skeleton is showing. I tried taking pictures with my video camera, but won't be able to look at them until tonight. I already had my QT tank up because of the Nerites so it is in low flow and low light. I tried feeding it shrimp soaked in selecon last night, but it didn't take it Of course it had only been acclimated 2 hours earlier. I'll try again tonight.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 03/23/2006, 12:18 AM   #182
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

No one can id the worm?

Unread 03/23/2006, 10:29 AM   #183
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jezzeaepi
No one can id the worm?
We are sometimes good in this thread at ID'ing TBS stuff, but I don't recall anyone having one of those worms. The pictures might be a little blurry, but I would try posting them in Dr Shimek's forum at marinedepot, he is the man.

Everyone else, here is the sick little brain in my QT tank

The good news is that it looks a tiny bit better today, but the bad news is that it refused to eat again last night. Selecon soaked mysis just laying on it and it didn't take it!

I'll try again tonight.

Brian

Unread 03/23/2006, 01:07 PM   #184
patsan
Premium Member

Brian,
How did you get that brain off the rock?

Unread 03/23/2006, 02:29 PM   #185
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

poor brain needs some tlc and some luck =(

Unread 03/23/2006, 04:16 PM   #186
patsan
Premium Member

My brain is really growing.

I also saw something really weird with the clown fish today. Nothing has ever hosted them, but they were down by the sand, stirring it up. At times they would also pick up small pieces of the sand, and spit it out. Anyone know what it could be?

I was not quick enough with the camera in regard to the pistol. It was 3/4 out of the cave, and I had to run to the back of the house to get my camera. Of course by the time I got back, it retreated.

Unread 03/23/2006, 04:45 PM   #187
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Brian,
How did you get that brain off the rock?
It was basically on what we thought was a rock perch. So I carefully used my dremel tool to cut through the perch. Turns out the perch was a clam! DOH! Sorry Mr. Clam But it made removing the brain very easy and I was very careful to avoid damaging it during the surgery.

I know its chances aren't too good, but I have to try to save my favorite species of coral! He has another one that doesn't look too good either, I might need to try to save that one next.

EDIT: Nice looking brain Pat! looks great The clowns might be cleaning a place for eggs? Not that the female looks pregnant, but sometimes they practice cleaning behavior. But just a WAG.

Brian

Unread 03/23/2006, 04:50 PM   #188
patsan
Premium Member

How can you tell the female would look pregnant?
The male is the one mixing up the sand. (the male is the smaller one, right?)

Unread 03/23/2006, 06:38 PM   #189
skippy2
Registered Member

Your right, Pat. The male is the smaller 1. I think Brian is right. They are cleaning a spot to lay eggs. I have had my clowns since Oct. of '03 and although I do see a lot of cleaning, I have never seen eggs. Don't get your hopes up.

Current Tank Info: no tank
Unread 03/23/2006, 06:45 PM   #190
patsan
Premium Member

These clowns haven't done anything in a year, so don't worry, I won't hold my breath. LOL
It's just the first time I've seen them do this.

Unread 03/24/2006, 07:21 AM   #191
drk70
Premium Member

I have never seen my clowns mess around in the sand but I do see them on occasion swim real close to the same spot on the rocks and shake.

What I thought was a mantis a few weeks back turns out to be a pistol shrimp. It isn't the same color as yours Pat or Danielle's, it is very dark. The chances of me getting a pic of it are virtually impossible because it stays toward the back and I only have ever seen it at night.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 03/24/2006, 07:45 AM   #192
bobt2
Registered Member

jesse, sounds like the same black crab i have. does the top of the shell have a few white spots? i removed mine and he's in a tank with other "bad" hitchhickers

Unread 03/24/2006, 09:33 AM   #193
patsan
Premium Member

Here's pictures of Bob's Black crab:

Unread 03/24/2006, 11:16 AM   #194
bobt2
Registered Member

pat, i forgot i took pictures of it!

Unread 03/27/2006, 05:18 PM   #195
lossman
Registered Member

I have not posted in a while as my new job schedule has thrown me all out of wack!! I am only now getting to the point where I find the time to do the things I used to do....just at a different time. The tank is doing awesome. We got some modifications for two of our maxi-jets and it has increased the flow tremendously. We have two modified maxijets, one on either side of the tank, and two regular maxijets with the hydor heads, both of those are on the back wall pointing towards the front. The increased flow is awesome. One of the mods is a bit more powerful than the other and you can see that it blows debris all the way across the 6' tank!! A small tree sponge that had been retreating now shows a tiny sign of new growth. The two sea sprays that we got a few weeks ago send their polyps out several times during the day now. The fish seem to really enjoy playing in the stream of the new pumps, especially Neo. Some of the discosomas are not real happy with the increased flow and I am not sure the Condy is all that happy with it as yet. I'll give them a week or so and see how they adapt to it. I'll get some pictures soon so I can show you what the modified maxijets look like. I am extremely pleased with them and would recommend them to anyone that wants a tunze for the price of a maxijet plus the mod!!

Current Tank Info: 150 gal TBS
Unread 03/27/2006, 08:32 PM   #196
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
I have not posted in a while as my new job schedule has thrown me all out of wack!! I am only now getting to the point where I find the time to do the things I used to do....just at a different time. The tank is doing awesome. We got some modifications for two of our maxi-jets and it has increased the flow tremendously. We have two modified maxijets, one on either side of the tank, and two regular maxijets with the hydor heads, both of those are on the back wall pointing towards the front. The increased flow is awesome. One of the mods is a bit more powerful than the other and you can see that it blows debris all the way across the 6' tank!! A small tree sponge that had been retreating now shows a tiny sign of new growth. The two sea sprays that we got a few weeks ago send their polyps out several times during the day now. The fish seem to really enjoy playing in the stream of the new pumps, especially Neo. Some of the discosomas are not real happy with the increased flow and I am not sure the Condy is all that happy with it as yet. I'll give them a week or so and see how they adapt to it. I'll get some pictures soon so I can show you what the modified maxijets look like. I am extremely pleased with them and would recommend them to anyone that wants a tunze for the price of a maxijet plus the mod!!
Glad your increased flow is affordable I bought a Maxijet 900 and am considering trying the mod. What do your sea sprays look like? I'm not familiar with those....

Brian

Unread 03/28/2006, 07:51 AM   #197
bobt2
Registered Member

pictures!i have wanted to modify my maxi's for a while

Unread 03/28/2006, 02:31 PM   #198
lossman
Registered Member

Here is a link to the maxijet modifications:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...threadid=717034 (the original thread)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...threadid=790770 (the split thread)

This is what the maxijet mod looks like in the tank. You will note that the maxijet is mounted sideways to accomodate the modification.

Here is a picture of the center of the tank where you can see the condy and the red algae are being blown around.

And here is a picture of one of the sea sprays.

Current Tank Info: 150 gal TBS
Unread 03/28/2006, 11:25 PM   #199
latemodel99
Registered Member

Hey everyone This is a great thread. Everyones tank looks great.
I did a maxi-jet mod and think they work great for the price. Two
900 maxis done this way actually is too much flow fow a 55(48' tank length). A great project. This is the thread that i copied mine off of.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=611354

Galen

Unread 03/29/2006, 08:42 AM   #200
krajacich
Premium Member

Galen:
To Reef Central

Please post some pics of your tank....we LOVE pictures

Closed Thread