Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2017, 01:03 PM   #1
wake125122
Registered Member

Dosing

So what is everyone preferred brand to dose with? I'm just getting into the swing of thing and I am about to start to try my had at this stuff. I have some soft corals at the moment but eventually I will have a good mix of an SPS & LPS tank. I'm thinking of using RedSea stuff or I am considering starting just to use Kalkwasser (spec the BRS Bulk Kalkwasser Starter Package) and add it to my top off system. I know I have heard horror stories of the auto top off system emptying everything in at once but I am setting up my neptune system now to monitor all of my level so something like that doesn't happen. Also I just bought the Tunze auto top off system so I'm not extremely worried out it. What is everyone thoughts love to hear some peoples xp and opinions.

wake125122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 01:05 PM   #2
ironman20725
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake125122 View Post
So what is everyone preferred brand to dose with? I'm just getting into the swing of thing and I am about to start to try my had at this stuff. I have some soft corals at the moment but eventually I will have a good mix of an SPS & LPS tank. I'm thinking of using RedSea stuff or I am considering starting just to use Kalkwasser (spec the BRS Bulk Kalkwasser Starter Package) and add it to my top off system. I know I have heard horror stories of the auto top off system emptying everything in at once but I am setting up my neptune system now to monitor all of my level so something like that doesn't happen. Also I just bought the Tunze auto top off system so I'm not extremely worried out it. What is everyone thoughts love to hear some peoples xp and opinions.

I really like brs 2 part. It's cheaper and very easy to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironman20725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 01:09 PM   #3
wake125122
Registered Member

Your talking about their 2 part total package thing correct? Hmmm didn't really consider them on anything other than the Kelk. I'll have to look into that thanks!

wake125122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 01:17 PM   #4
ironman20725
Registered Member

Yes that's what I use

Unread 06/12/2017, 02:17 PM   #5
ironman20725
Registered Member

Their actually running a sale right now

Unread 06/17/2017, 08:51 PM   #6
WLachnit
Registered Member

I use CaCl2 from BRS and Arm & Hammer baking soda for bicarbonate and make up my own 2 part. Much more economical when you have large system.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2017, 05:50 PM   #7
Harbour
Registered Member

For years I dosed only Mr. Wages (Kalk) from the grocery store. Have dripped it and used the slurry method (once popular years ago - mix it and pour it into the tank with no settling) with equal results in a 55 gal.

Now I dose using B-ionc for Alk, Mag, and Cal with what seems to be good results.

With weekly water changes.

Harbour

Salinity 1.26
Temp 78
Harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 03:26 PM   #8
SpottedMoocow
Registered Member

I use BRS 2-part as well. Haven't had an issue with it and it's not overly expensive. How big is your tank? If it's small, even with SPS, it may still be manageable with just water changes.

SpottedMoocow is offline   Reply With Quote