Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2017, 12:01 PM   #1
Horace
Registered Member

DIY Lumia 5.2x6 with Bluefish Controller

So i finished my build on this 6x Lumia 5.2 build. It is one of the coolest projects I have ever completed, and this thing is awesome

I will have to appoligize for the crappy video quality. The video camera on my phone really does not capture the color and light intensity well at all. Also, i will note that when I took this video i did not realize that 2 out of the 6 LED clusters were inoperable. while moving this fixture to my new home (we just moved 2 weeks ago), 3 wires got pulled out of the PCBs and as a result caused the 2 left side LEDs clusters not to work. This thing was still bright as hell without them so I didnt even notice lol. Anyway here is a short video of me demoing the completed fixture....

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 04:56 PM   #2
EzReefs
Registered Member

How much money did you put into it?

EzReefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzReefs View Post
How much money did you put into it?
It was over $1k. But for what it has, it's more than worth it. No disco lights, great shimmer...420w of Cree LEDs...wifi control....you would spend way more on 6 Kessel which are not even as good as the Lumia chip, and not have the same control functionality.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Unread 06/18/2017, 01:40 AM   #4
hellssephiroth
Registered Member

I LOVE my lumias. I bought a G3 for my nano and I love the lumia on my main tank so much more. I might do another for my nano.

hellssephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2017, 12:15 PM   #5
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

Nice I just bought the exact same set up.. Well kinda, I just got the storm x controller, but 6 pucks and 18 drivers and 3 PS with 6 of the adjustable lenses... holy heck it is bright...i am only going to use 4 of the pucks though for my tank... how big a tank you going over?
I don't want to say what I spent though... nice work though..

One question, what are all the leds on the driver boards..i don't remember mine having those... and are you using one of thier fan controllers or does the bluefish have an output for the fans?

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2017, 10:43 PM   #6
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReefWanabe View Post
Nice I just bought the exact same set up.. Well kinda, I just got the storm x controller, but 6 pucks and 18 drivers and 3 PS with 6 of the adjustable lenses... holy heck it is bright...i am only going to use 4 of the pucks though for my tank... how big a tank you going over?
I don't want to say what I spent though... nice work though..

One question, what are all the leds on the driver boards..i don't remember mine having those... and are you using one of thier fan controllers or does the bluefish have an output for the fans?
I actually did a few things differently. I bought the PCBs from O2surplus because his boards had the fan controllers and support for the Bluefish mini built in. They are VERY slick.

I also skipped the lenses because I want better spread.

My 6 are being used for a 180g 72x24x24

Unread 06/18/2017, 11:23 PM   #7
bblumberg
Registered Member

I have a very similar setup on my 150g (60x 24 x 24) but using BlueAcro Acrostar 20K pro pucks instead of the Lumias. O2surplus boards, Makers 48" heat sink and Bluefish mini. 6 pucks require 8 drivers in all to handle 4 channels (i.e., 3 pucks per driver board, with 2 channels open for future additions). I have 4 x 80 W T5 supplemental lights to prevent shadowing and make the lighting more even. Much easier than the last individual LED build I did and way more cost effective than Kessil or similar products.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 06:49 AM   #8
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblumberg View Post
I have a very similar setup on my 150g (60x 24 x 24) but using BlueAcro Acrostar 20K pro pucks instead of the Lumias. O2surplus boards, Makers 48" heat sink and Bluefish mini. 6 pucks require 8 drivers in all to handle 4 channels (i.e., 3 pucks per driver board, with 2 channels open for future additions). I have 4 x 80 W T5 supplemental lights to prevent shadowing and make the lighting more even. Much easier than the last individual LED build I did and way more cost effective than Kessil or similar products.
I am also considering adding 80w T5s, but am holding off for now. Once I get the tank up and running and actually have some corals in there that need it. I may not ever add them pending how many SPS I go after this go around.

Unread 06/19/2017, 07:20 PM   #9
bblumberg
Registered Member

That makes sense. I'm not certain that I need the T5s, but grew to like them. My original build plan used the "Dream Chips" that were used in the long COB thread with individual heat sinks. Stupidly, I planned to use high voltage power supplies and run each channel of the chips in series (i.e., 5 dimmable power supplies, each handling one channel). Ultimately it sort of worked, but the white channels on some chips were defective. While I was messing around with these, the T5 supplements were my only lights and corals managed to hang in there.

Eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and scrap the whole design and redid the LEDs with the Makers/O2surplus/BlueAcro combination. I like that quite well, just need to find time to install the second set of 3 pucks.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2017, 12:07 AM   #10
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

Nice...i might upgrade later to the blue fish controller since i got my setup pretty cheap anyway...i have one driver per channel, and two pucks in series...i am using four pucks over my 50g (36x18x20) breeder..i am hoping to avoid needing any supplemental t5 lights...i am also hoping i don't really need to run them much over 50% ever... so far in this hobby this is the best 125$ I have ever spent. But I do need a fan controller board

Unread 06/22/2017, 05:26 PM   #11
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReefWanabe View Post
Nice...i might upgrade later to the blue fish controller since i got my setup pretty cheap anyway...i have one driver per channel, and two pucks in series...i am using four pucks over my 50g (36x18x20) breeder..i am hoping to avoid needing any supplemental t5 lights...i am also hoping i don't really need to run them much over 50% ever... so far in this hobby this is the best 125$ I have ever spent. But I do need a fan controller board
Yeah the fan control was one reason I went with the O2 board. I had to to tweak his firmware a bit so that the fans ramp to 50% as soon as the LEDs came on. Otherwise they wouldnt kick the fans on until about 40% power. These fans I have are dead silent until they are at about 80% and even then barely audible. I figured I would prefer to keep the heatsink as cool as possible.

Unread 06/22/2017, 07:40 PM   #12
FireReeferSteve
Registered Member

I'm building a retro for my 14 biocube from rapid led. If it turns out nice I'm going to do one for my 190 with the blue fish!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FireReeferSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 07:55 PM   #13
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Yeah the fan control was one reason I went with the O2 board. I had to to tweak his firmware a bit so that the fans ramp to 50% as soon as the LEDs came on. Otherwise they wouldnt kick the fans on until about 40% power. These fans I have are dead silent until they are at about 80% and even then barely audible. I figured I would prefer to keep the heatsink as cool as possible.

I would like to have rgb led indicators telling me if you will what status the fans are in...ie green in idle, red not working, blue doing thier thing .... but have no idea how to program that or set it up