Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2012, 09:46 PM   #1
TimothyJ
Registered Member

Top Down Photos?

I have begun taking photos of with my Nikon D300 and Nikon Macro 105mm lens. I was curious, if any one knows of a way to get photos through the top surface of the water. I have been able to get a handful of decent ones through the front and side glass, but would love for a way to get photos through the top of the water. Is there a solution out there?

Unread 03/19/2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Recty
Registered Member

They sell top down photograph boxes or you can make your own. You basically need a box with a clear acrylic bottom. You point your lens and camera down through the box and submerse the end in the water, so it doesnt get any light reflecting off the surface to ruin your shot.

That's the simple description. Easy to make your own, or buy one online.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Nicholas41
Registered Member

You could make a viewing box out of Plexiglass. It's cheap and will make the pictures turn out much better IMO. If you don't want to make it you can use a box style acrylic frame.

( ^+1 Recty posted before I submitted.)

Nicholas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2012, 12:09 AM   #4
TimothyJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recty View Post
They sell top down photograph boxes or you can make your own. You basically need a box with a clear acrylic bottom. You point your lens and camera down through the box and submerse the end in the water, so it doesnt get any light reflecting off the surface to ruin your shot.

Thanks, I'll see if I can locate one online.

Unread 03/19/2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Hookup
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recty View Post

Lol... The end of the box, not the end of the camera... Just in case ... Water and camera is bad....

I'm not sure FOWLRs actually exist, I think they're like unicorns or platonic girlfriends. A FOWLR is just a reef tank that doesn't yet hold any coral.

Current Tank Info: 180g display, 150gallon sump in-wall 4-side viewable sps dominated tank, ATI Powermodule, MRC MR-4 skimmer, GHL controller, Baling Method, Ultralith Reactor, Carbon & Phosphate Reactors, and general time consuming money pit that I live for.
Hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Recty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookup View Post
Lol... The end of the box, not the end of the camera... Just in case ... Water and camera is bad....
Hah

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2012, 02:57 PM   #7
djkms
Fish Freak

Here you go.
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/pr...-Down-Porthole

Going to order one myself in the next week or so.

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2012, 03:05 PM   #8
BlueCorn
Retired

I have a much simpler approach. I never use the lens hood for my 100 macro so I just glued a piece of acrylic to the bottom, trimmed it with a router and I'm good to go.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote