Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2014, 11:19 AM   #1
Pife
Registered Member

Pife's One fifty glass box build

So I've decided to start a build thread as a journal to keep me motivated in the process of getting the tank set up and running.

I currently have a 90 gallon tank that has been running for about a year. I run a TLF 150 with GFO and a ETSS skimmer. It's in my dining room and driving my wife and I crazy because the skimmer uses a Iwaki 40 to run. Needless to says it's very loud. With my new build I am moving the DT into my living room so that my family and guests can enjoy it more. The goals of the build are to make it quite and make water changes and maintenance much easier. Sounds simple right.

Here's what I've got to start out with. I have been buying stuff used over the last 8 months to get all the stuff I want and then some.

Marineland 150 gallon deep dimension
240 gallon acrylic sump to be designed
125 gallon acrylic frag tank
GEO Custom skimmer
GEO 624 Calcium reactor
GEO 410 reactors - times two.
Iwaki 100 - Return pump and Manifold hopefully
Neptune Systems Apex
Lumenbright SE reflector
400w Radium
Lumentec Ballast
Steve's Led kit - Dusk to Dawn
Jeboa WP60 and Jeboa WP40
2-Seaswirls

Here are a couple of pictures to get the thread started off right.

Here is my 90 gallon now.

Untitled

Here is was 6 months ago. I can only find the the end view.

Untitled

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 04:03 AM   #2
adddo
“Goodnight, tiny humans.”

Your 90 loooks great, keep us updated on the new build!

//Bjarne
adddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adddo View Post
Your 90 loooks great, keep us updated on the new build!
Thanks. I will try to keep it up to date. I have a little bit to get everyone up to speed on my current progress.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 08/19/2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Pife
Registered Member

So I have started on the stand for my one fifty. My basement is cluttered and messy so I had to clean it up to be able to even build it. I used a Kreg jig to drill all of my pocket holes. I also countersunk all of my other screws. I decided to use 2x6's for every part of the stand. I ran into a problem when my wife wanted the tank to be taller than our present display tank. The problem is my basement door. Its really narrow. So I had to build a two part stand. I built the top part and then I made a 2x6 stand for it to sit on. It's the height that she wants and it will fit through all the doors. I think I might add some corner bracing to the bottom part but I don't yet. I then gave it a couple of coats of primer. I have still yet to skin it as I haven't figured out the look we want. Read that as my wife hasn't found a tank stand or dresser to model it after that she likes. Pretty soon I am just going to finish it and hope she likes it. I think I am going to paint the outside rather than go through all the trouble of sanding and staining it. Well here are the pictures I am sure that everyone here would be asking for if I didn't post them.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Unread 03/11/2015, 10:04 AM   #5
Pife
Registered Member

Wow I haven't updated this in awhile. I still don't have my 150 up and running yet but I am getting closer. I have the stand almost done for the DT, it is skinned I just need to purchase the material for making the doors/panels and or drawers. I think it would be nice to have drawers to keep all the stuff we "need" on a daily/weekly basis organized. It does make it a bit more complicated to build though.

I have built my sump stand and got my frag tank cycling. I'll have to add to this when I get home and can pay photos.

Unread 03/28/2015, 11:17 PM   #6
Pife
Registered Member

Here are some pictures to get you all back up to speed.

There is a lot going on in this picture. The stand to the left is my sump and frag tank stand. I chose the crazy green because of all the grey and white stands on here and locally that I have seen. I made the top nice and sturdy with a doubled up piece of 3/4 inch oak plywood. Why did I use oak you ask? Because Home Depot was out of 3/4 plywood and gave it to me for the same price as regular plywood. I couldn't just paint over the pretty oak so stained it and threw a couple coats of polyurethane on it. Over all I'm happy with how it turned out.

The tank on top of that stand started life as an acrylic dual overflow 125 gallon tank. I got it for 20 bucks and cut it down to the height I wanted. I went with 14 inches tall and cut the weirs to 12 inches. I think that is a good depth of water for a frag tank. I then buffed it out. It wasnt as bad as everyone told me it was going to be.

The reflector sitting there is one of two that are going over the frag tank. I'm going to run 250 watt Radiums powered by some old school PFO ballast. I think that should be the perfect combo for growing little sps frags.

You can also see my unfinished DT stand and my Co2 bottle for my calcium reactor. Not to mention all the other junk in my basement.

Unread 03/29/2015, 02:10 PM   #7
Pife
Registered Member

Here I have added a floating canopy over my frag tank to hide my reflectors. It came off of a Marineland 300dd canopy. I also have drilled the holes for the drains and returns coming out of the bottom of my frag tank. I did learn that I needed to cut larger holes in the foam because of the lock nuts on the bulkheads. I taped the entire front of the tank up because I painted the sides bottom and back of it. I also wanted to protect it from scratches while moving it around and getting it sat in place. I hope that the tape comes off okay and doesn't leave a lot of residue.

Unread 03/29/2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Jim.mer
Registered Member

That's a good idea. I like it. I like open tanks. I think I might do something like that with my 400 DE MH

I said to my self, my self I said, Maybe i'll go LED
No my self said No, MH all the way

Current Tank Info: 12 jbj settin up soon, no fish, just inverts, hermits,softies,LPS
Jim.mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.mer View Post
That's a good idea. I like it. I like open tanks. I think I might do something like that with my 400 DE MH
Thanks. It has worked out pretty good. I didn't do a good job of thinking ahead with concerns of where I am mounting the reflectors. I had a couple of braces that hold the canopy up that are in the way of where I would like to mount the reflectors. All I did to fix this was mount them on an angle point into the tank.

Unread 03/29/2015, 03:35 PM   #10
Schplitter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Here I have added a floating canopy over my frag tank to hide my reflectors. It came off of a Marineland 300dd canopy. I also have drilled the holes for the drains and returns coming out of the bottom of my frag tank. I did learn that I needed to cut larger holes in the foam because of the lock nuts on the bulkheads. I taped the entire front of the tank up because I painted the sides bottom and back of it. I also wanted to protect it from scratches while moving it around and getting it sat in place. I hope that the tape comes off okay and doesn't leave a lot of residue.

If it does leave residue just use miracle spirits on a soft cloth to get it off.

Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: 110 Gal Display, 125 Gal Custom Sump in basement fish room, 2- G3 XR30 Radion's + 2 48' Retrofit T5"s, Super Reef Octopus XP 2000 SSS Skimmer, 2 - Vortech MP-40, Panworld NH-200PS Return, 8x2' Frag tank, DIY refugium lighting, DIY frag tank lighting.
Schplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 04:32 PM   #11
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schplitter View Post
If it does leave residue just use miracle spirits on a soft cloth to get it off.
Thanks Ben. There is some residue left over and now I know how to get it off.

Unread 03/29/2015, 06:42 PM   #12
mpcart
Registered Member

Keep it going. I want to see that 150 DT up and running. I like those basement walls - how old is the house?

-Mike

mpcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Pife
Registered Member

The walls that you see in the picture I have painstakingly tuck pointed and smoothed over. The house was built between 1870 and 1880. I gutted it and rebuilt it all when I moved to Saint Louis almost 7 years ago.

Unread 03/29/2015, 07:37 PM   #14
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

always love DIY folks' building threads, keep it up! curious to see your design

Current Tank Info: 180 Mix Reef + 28G Seahorse Species Tank
Stevenliu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2015, 06:39 AM   #15
oshanickreef
Registered Member

what kinda fish r u planning on putting in there?

Instagram: Oshanickreef
oshanickreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2015, 08:11 AM   #16
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshanickreef View Post
what kinda fish r u planning on putting in there?
That is just my frag tank. I am planning on a couple utility wrasses and I need a fish, maybe a bristle tooth to keep up with any algae that might pop up.

Do you have any suggestions for frag tank fish?

Unread 03/30/2015, 08:23 AM   #17
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
That is just my frag tank. I am planning on a couple utility wrasses and I need a fish, maybe a bristle tooth to keep up with any algae that might pop up.

Do you have any suggestions for frag tank fish?
You should get a few trigger fish. I hear they bite Sps to sharpen their teeth and it is really good for the coral

Unread 03/30/2015, 08:12 PM   #18
Pife
Registered Member

All the tape is off and the frag tank is set in place. I'm going to fill it up and start cycling some rock. I have to clean up the tank that I am going to use for the sump and get some baffles cut for it.

I need to finalize my plan on how I want it laid out. I have a couple of ideas that I am kicking around. I am going to be incorporating a removable section that can hold filter socks or filter material. I'm trying to decide on four 4 inch filter socks or two 7 inch socks. Any opinions on that subject?

The sump is an acrylic 240 gallon tank. It was previously used by a local fish store. I am going to tear most of it apart to incorporate my design. I am wanting to do 50 gallon water changes while the system is running so I have figured that into the return section of the sump.

Unread 03/30/2015, 09:05 PM   #19
mpcart
Registered Member

Now that's a sump!

-Mike

mpcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 08:45 AM   #20
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcart View Post
Now that's a sump!

-Mike
240 gallon monster. I like that it is eight feet long. It's going to hold a ton of rock.

Unread 03/31/2015, 08:48 AM   #21
oshanickreef
Registered Member

Quote:
240 gallon monster. I like that it is eight feet long. It's going to hold a ton of rock.
gosh that is a huge exaggeration... and i thought you said that i was the one who exaggerates too much.

Unread 04/02/2015, 06:59 AM   #22
Pife
Registered Member

I have rock and water in my frag tank! Let the cycle begin!

Unread 04/02/2015, 07:04 AM   #23
Pife
Registered Member

I also got the reflectors mounted.

Unread 04/02/2015, 07:07 AM   #24
oshanickreef
Registered Member

what is a reflector?

Unread 04/02/2015, 08:54 AM   #25
Hodge1995
Registered Member

Quote:
I have rock and water in my frag tank! Let the cycle begin!
Holy Smokes Pife does know how to make Saltwater! Glad to see it! Although I am not sure what smack is gonna do with all his spare time, not beinfg able to harass you and all. I guess it is only the sump wet so he still has time!

Current Tank Info: 300 Gallon Reef / JBJ 28 pro
Hodge1995 is offline   Reply With Quote