Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2018, 10:29 PM   #1
reefer1970
Registered Member

Does temp effect algae growth?

Decided to add a small 40g frag tank
Been having a bad gha issue. Just realized that the heater (new hydor) was stuck on and the tank had been running 84 degrees. Do high temps contribute to algae growth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 08:35 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes it certainly can have some effect..

Unread 01/08/2018, 09:47 AM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

I would suspect that to be true. Higher temps mean lower O2, faster metabolism, etc.

I also wouldn't suspect GHA to die off if the temp drops down to more normal temps.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 10:35 AM   #4
SRQreef3r
Registered Member

Almost certainly isn’t the main reason for your GHA, but definitely aids in growth.

SRQreef3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 12:35 PM   #5
organism
code monkey

I've found that higher temps tend to grow algae a little faster but algae would still grow at lower temperatures since it's mostly dependent on light and nutrients. If you have really bad algae you may want to check out a product called Reef Flux.

Unread 01/09/2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Everything grows faster with temperature. Including fish and corals. Of course I am talking about temperatures that do not kill or bleach them.

In certain, reefs that can have seasonal cold water, you can observe growth rings on stony corals. For each year, one big growth corresponding for the hot season and a smaller growth for cold season. For fish it is more obvious. Fish kept in warmer tanks grow faster.

For ectothermic organisms, metabolic rate depend on the ambient temperature. Mainly because enzymes have higher catalytic rates at higher temperatures. As a rule of thump, catalytic rate of most enzymes double for every 10C increase in temperature. Higher temperature = higher metabolisms = more growth.

Endothermic animals like mammals, birds and to some extend certain fish, took advantage of this mechanisms by maintaining a stable and high body temperature. But this is also an extremely energy intensive process, about 50-80% (depending on ambient temperature) of what we eat is used for maintaining body temperature at 37C. It is funny that when we touch a fish, they probably think we are burning hot, they would die within minutes in 37C water .

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 02:29 PM   #7
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer1970 View Post
Decided to add a small 40g frag tank
Been having a bad gha issue. Just realized that the heater (new hydor) was stuck on and the tank had been running 84 degrees. Do high temps contribute to algae growth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Effect of temperature and light on the growth of algae species: A review

Abstract
Algae are fast growing biomass and can be converted to Biodiesel fuel. The demand of biodiesel is growing worldwide. Microalgae need a light:dark regime for productive photosynthesis. Light conditions and Temperature affect directly the growth rate of microalgae (duration and intensity).Literature review of some Green algae species Chlorella, Spirogyra, Chlamydomonas, Botryococcus, Scenedesmus, Neochloris, Haematococcus, Nannochloropsis, Ulva species and few species of brown algae, red algae, blue green algae were chosen to study the effect of temperature and light intensity on their growth. Optimum temperature range 20 °C to30 °C was observed for growth of different algae species. Light irradiance varies between 33 ”mol m−2 s−1 to 400 ”mol m−2 s−1. Maximum growth rate was found 1.73 d−1 for Selenastrum minutum at 35 °C and 420 ”mol m−2 s−1 irradiance. Minimum growth rate (0.10 d−1) was reported for Botryococcus braunii KMITL 2 strain at temperature 25 °C, photoperiod 24:0 and 200 ”mol m−2 s−1 irradiance.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EVALUATING ALGAL GROWTH AT DIFFERENT TEMPERATURES

The first part
of the study was to grow Scenedesmus and Chlorella with M8 or urea growth media at a
temperature of 25, 30 or 35șC. It was found that 30șC had the best growth rates for both
algae. The second part studied Scenedesmus growth with urea, more in-depth, and found
the optimum growth temperature to be 27.5șC with a growth rate of 0.29 1/hr.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote