Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2017, 11:18 PM   #51
SFish
Registered Member

Note

Note

SFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2017, 11:25 PM   #52
SFish
Registered Member

Your set up uses biological media as a mechanical filter as well which is why it's going to fail. This doesn't even take into account that all that trapped waste is going to decay inside the media and cause an algae bloom.

Last edited by SFish; 06/25/2017 at 12:01 AM.
Unread 06/25/2017, 11:47 AM   #53
aSmallcat
Registered Member

I ordered some k1 media today. When it comes in I'm going to test how well it moves under falling water from my overflow. Keep in mind it's buoyancy will change after it becomes properly colonized by bacteria. But at least I'll have a better idea if I'll need an air pump as well to facilitate enough movement.

aSmallcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 11:59 AM   #54
aSmallcat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFish View Post
Your set up uses biological media as a mechanical filter as well which is why it's going to fail. This doesn't even take into account that all that trapped waste is going to decay inside the media and cause an algae bloom.
What do you suggest I use as a mechanical filter? I could pre-filter with a sock or something.

Unread 06/25/2017, 02:20 PM   #55
SFish
Registered Member

First of all if you put this stuff in a mesh bag is it going to interfere with it tumbling? The mesh bag is also going to trap detritus. The big problem would be decaying material. Also if you just put the mesh bag by the pipe it's not going to work all that well anyway. Your going to end up channeling around it. These types of media's are a dime a dozen. A lot of them are BS. They are trying to do what live rock does. I would not have picked this media to begin with. You can do the same thing with a ceramic block with out the air pump bs. If you insist on using this stuff then yes I would put a filter sock first or something along those lines. If you really want a good system then I would put a small skimmer in. Forget about the filter sock and keep everything in suspension and let the skimmer take all the crap out. Less work and cleaner water. Also no risk vs a filter sock but you would have to do something to make sure nothing gets trapped in the media you have.

Last edited by SFish; 06/25/2017 at 02:27 PM.
Unread 06/25/2017, 02:44 PM   #56
aSmallcat
Registered Member

Only the course, fine and chemical media will be bagged. The k1 would be free floating in chamber one blocked from traveling the sump by a plastic mesh at the top.

Unread 06/25/2017, 02:47 PM   #57
aSmallcat
Registered Member

The activated carbon will be in a tight mesh bag and the rest in very open mesh bags. The openings in the bags are only as small as they need to be in order to contain the media inside.

Unread 06/26/2017, 12:29 AM   #58
aSmallcat
Registered Member

Testing out my overflow and return. Everything looks good. I think I'll drill another hole in the overflow though for a backup drain. I'm using a ball valve to regulate so it could easily clog enough to cause a problem. A second unregulated pipe will solve that easy.

Unread 06/26/2017, 04:25 AM   #59
SFish
Registered Member

You never want to put a valve on an overflow pipe like that. For the very reason you stated. You need to regulate the flow at the return pump. That overflow is not meant to have two holes. It also looks like you have it going to slow. Not sure if that tank can be drilled for an overflow but it would have been safer to. HOB overflows can fail. If you can I would get rid of the 45 amd have the pipe go straight down. My guess is the return pump is to small. What does the head height curve say?

Last edited by SFish; 06/26/2017 at 04:47 AM.
Unread 06/26/2017, 05:01 AM   #60
aSmallcat
Registered Member

Yeah the return pump could be bigger. There would be no point in regulating this one as it's already open full and not enough to keep up with my overflow.

Next size up it is.

Unread 06/26/2017, 05:13 AM   #61
aSmallcat
Registered Member

The 45 has to stay though. Straight down equals water on my floor instead of in my sump. I think I'll keep the ball balls too because though it may come in handy later during maintenance or if I want to move things around.

Unread 06/26/2017, 05:13 AM   #62
aSmallcat
Registered Member

Keep the ball valve*

Unread 06/26/2017, 05:18 AM   #63
aSmallcat
Registered Member

Hey check this out, my lucky day I guess I the pump..

"Refunded
There's no need to return your item. Your refund has been issued." - Amazon

Unread 06/26/2017, 05:44 AM   #64
aSmallcat
Registered Member

So the pump I have right now is rated for about 160 gph. Think I should upgrade to 264 or 396 gph? I'd like to use the same pump type because they are quiet and durable.

The pf-nano overflow is rated at 200 gph.

Unread 06/26/2017, 08:13 AM   #65
SFish
Registered Member

Get rid off the ball valve on the overflow. That rating on the pump is for 0 head pressure so you will not be pumping at that speed. You have to look at the pump curve. Here is an example of one

Unread 06/26/2017, 08:15 AM   #66
SFish
Registered Member

My guess is that pump doesn't have one because it's a powerhead.

Unread 06/26/2017, 08:44 AM   #67
aSmallcat
Registered Member

Thanks for that chart it's a nice reference. I ended up going with the pump rated for 396 gph. Should still be plenty at the maybe three foot rose I've got.

Unread 06/26/2017, 08:50 AM   #68
aSmallcat
Registered Member

Here's a link to the pump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unread 06/26/2017, 08:51 AM   #69
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

The valve on the overflow is an obstruction waiting to happen... no need for it... when doing maintenance the pump will be off anyway

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 09:30 AM   #70
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Ball valve not needed but I have one myself, I leave it fully open so its as of its not there restricting any flow. Why a ball valve then you may ask, I have a union below it so I can be lazy and pause my siphon as oppose to reprime when I want to disassemble. I also have my feed line more into the sump, so if I need to move my sump for any reason I can easily remove the last section on the way. Unions are great, you might want to consider adding them to your design. Regarding pump sizing don't use the chart posted as a generic guide, you should always check against your specific pumps literature as they vary greatly between makes and models, this info is usually on there website. FWIW your feed opening is to close to your sumps top edge (vertically) fo my taste, I prefer more engagement to avoid any chance of a mess but that maybe just me

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 11:39 AM   #71
SFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSmallcat View Post
Thanks for that chart it's a nice reference. I ended up going with the pump rated for 396 gph. Should still be plenty at the maybe three foot rose I've got.
You would be surprised how much flow you are losing. That chart is not for the pump you have. You have to look up the chart for your pump. Also your pump is going to have an even greater loss in flow then normal because it's not made to be a return pump. Do your self a favor and cancel the order and get your self the proper pump. I would spread the overflow and return out. One on each side of the tank.

Last edited by SFish; 06/26/2017 at 11:45 AM.
Unread 06/26/2017, 01:09 PM   #72
SFish
Registered Member

By the way you know the baffles are going to have to be glass for that sump right?

Last edited by SFish; 06/26/2017 at 01:16 PM.
Unread 06/26/2017, 03:48 PM   #73
aSmallcat
Registered Member

This is the chart for those pumps. I'm not near its height limit so I'm not worried about this one. I ordered the first one because it was rated less than the overflow. I didn't want the pump to overwhelm it. But that was before I was familiar with the gurgling sound of an overflow without enough flow. Also I didn't know about reducing the flow from the pump via a valve. Seeing as it's apparently common practice I assume it's not too hard on the pump.

By the way, why do you think the baffles must be glass for this build?

Unread 06/26/2017, 04:39 PM   #74
SFish
Registered Member

That's not the pump curve. That doesn't tell you the flow loss at 3'. In fact that doesn't even really tell you the flow at 0'. All they do is put the pump in a tank and see how high the water sprays to get the max head height. That's with no friction.

Last edited by SFish; 06/26/2017 at 05:37 PM.
Unread 06/26/2017, 04:40 PM   #75
SFish
Registered Member

The baffles have to be glass because the tank is glass. Acrylic won't bond to glass.