Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2008, 08:22 PM   #576
jnarowe
Registered Member

All depends on who you are talking to Scott. What would an RK2 equivalent cost compared to one of your skimmers?

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2008, 08:34 PM   #577
spazz
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
All depends on who you are talking to Scott. What would an RK2 equivalent cost compared to one of your skimmers?
cant touch that one here you know that.

spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2008, 08:39 PM   #578
jnarowe
Registered Member

oops...sorry, I thought you were a sponsor. My bad.

Unread 01/15/2008, 09:04 PM   #579
melev
Moved On

Even if he was, he could not answer that in this thread.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2008, 09:14 PM   #580
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Even if he was, he could not answer that in this thread.
Correctomundo!!

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2008, 09:50 PM   #581
hahnmeister
Moved On

I CAN!!! Lol. It seems Scott's Volcanos range from the $2600-3600 for the single Dart/18" diameter models, depending on options and delivery. What that might match up with for an RK2, I dont know off the top of my head, but I will say this... The Volcanos I have seen in person are pulling a good amount of air... like 3500+ (more if force fed). The 8' tall/18" diameter RK2s I have seen in person are only pulling about 2100lph of air and have a smaller, taller neck on them. They are venturi driven after all, not force fed asperating/asperating.

Then again, neither can match the bubble density of a bubleking/ATB style skimmer.

Last edited by hahnmeister; 01/15/2008 at 10:01 PM.
hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2008, 09:56 PM   #582
spazz

ok so back to the 600 g glass tank that we wont let die no matter what. that is 1 jumbo pizza and some captain moragin after the tank is built. plus some good tales. ha ha ha ha
we will get john from shallowreef.com over ther to help us. i will just shanghi him. ha ha ha ha ha he can be our safety guy seeing he is a fire rescue.

Unread 01/15/2008, 10:01 PM   #583
melev
Moved On

Be sure to post a lot of pictures. We all wanna watch.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2008, 10:12 PM   #584
spazz

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Be sure to post a lot of pictures. We all wanna watch.
well im not going to be the crisco man on this build! ha ha ha
that can be asnatlas job.
just remember asnatlas that a little crisco on the finger goes a long way.

Unread 01/15/2008, 10:24 PM   #585
jnarowe
Registered Member

ouch. that hurts just thinking about my doctor.

Unread 01/16/2008, 08:58 AM   #586
asnatlas
Registered Member

Spazz, know any good welder's in the area for a new and improved stand ??

Unread 01/16/2008, 01:06 PM   #587
spazz

Quote:
Originally posted by asnatlas
ya but you would have to drive up to my shop to use my welder. that is a long haul. ha ha ha ha i will check with a neghbor of mine who has a welding shop. ho big is the stand going to be? how tall?

Unread 01/24/2008, 04:41 PM   #588
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
ya but you would have to drive up to my shop to use my welder. that is a long haul. ha ha ha ha i will check with a neghbor of mine who has a welding shop. ho big is the stand going to be? how tall?
I was thinking about 32-36" high, and the main frame would be 96x48 and I was thinking about having a 6" "lip" around both sides and the front...

Unread 01/24/2008, 06:30 PM   #589
spazz

Quote:
I was thinking about 32-36" high, and the main frame would be 96x48 and I was thinking about having a 6" "lip" around both sides and the front...
what would the lip be made of? wood or some type of stone? or were you thinking of having a steel lip put in the stand and them wrap it with something?

Unread 01/24/2008, 08:58 PM   #590
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
what would the lip be made of? wood or some type of stone? or were you thinking of having a steel lip put in the stand and them wrap it with something?
I was thinking about having a stone / tile lip around the tank so it would not be load bearing or anything, maybe a 8-12 lbs cat or two After I posted my other reply I was thinking maybe doing the same size lip at the at the bottom so that when it was finished it would just be a stone / tile on the top lip that drops off right to the floor (does that make sense) ??

Right now the plan is to have the tank aginst the wall like I had before, so I would like to skin the stand with wood...

Unread 01/24/2008, 10:20 PM   #591
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
or were you thinking of having a steel lip put in the stand and them wrap it with something?
Sorry I didnt post it in my other reply, but I was thinking to have the lip made of steel and covering it with the stone / tile...

Unread 01/24/2008, 10:45 PM   #592
spazz

Quote:
Sorry I didnt post it in my other reply, but I was thinking to have the lip made of steel and covering it with the stone / tile...
i will ask the guy who has a welding shop next to me if this is somethig he can do and how much it would cost
he is a really good welder

Unread 02/22/2008, 10:29 AM   #593
got2lb
Registered Member

I noticed you posting on our club board so thought I'd read up on your tank build to try and get to see what kind of setup you're coming from.

Looks like you've def. had some stumbles across the way. The guy Spazz is talking about at shallowreef is JJ also know as DoubleJ, he's the one with all the cap for sale right now on our club board.

Quote:

I'm actually a certified welder and I weld 10hrs a day 6 days a week. So if you want a stand built up just holler! Gladly help you out and get a tank up and going again. Hope to see you at a club event soon!

Matt

Unread 02/22/2008, 10:36 AM   #594
got2lb
Registered Member

JJ isn't actually too far away from where you'll be living at. He's def. got one of the nicest setups in the club I think. I've yet to see it in person but drool over the pictures I've seen. Gorgeous corals and fish and some very impressive equipment. His skimmer is a monster!

Here's a thread with some pics of his setup:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1262825

Unread 02/22/2008, 11:35 AM   #595
asnatlas
Registered Member

got2lb, Thank you for your posts and the info... I will have to meet up with you and talk some things over

Thanks for the link to Double-J's thread, his tank does look awesome...

I see you are about 138 mi (2 hours 36 mins) NE of the Waukee / DSM area...

Unread 02/22/2008, 01:12 PM   #596
got2lb
Registered Member

No problem man. Feel free to shoot me a PM or something anytime. I'm more than willing to help you out. I plan on going to the frag swap that's coming up, sounds like you were thinking about trying to make it make sure to find me and we'll have to talk.

Unread 03/11/2008, 08:59 AM   #597
starpolyp
Registered Member

I havent been around RC for a long time. I came on this morning to find this

wow. what a terrible set of events. I hate to say this, but i saw it happening the whole way.

I think this a good example of how a hobbyist can quickly get in way over his head. So many people tried to warn about so many things but you didnt listen one bit. You made the stand wrong, we told you, you ignored us. I think i even suggested building you a stainless steel stand in Page 2 of the original thread 2-3 years ago.

I personally do not think that the tank was designed and constructed properly either. the way the euro braces were designed and implemented was all wrong.

to bad this thread is so agonizingly long and boring to be made a sticky on 'WHAT NOT TO DO'

Last edited by starpolyp; 03/11/2008 at 09:05 AM.
starpolyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2008, 11:04 AM   #598
Jasontkd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starpolyp
wow. what a terrible set of events. I hate to say this, but i saw it happening the whole way.

I think this a good example of how a hobbyist can quickly get in way over his head. So many people tried to warn about so many things but you didnt listen one bit. You made the stand wrong, we told you, you ignored us. I think i even suggested building you a stainless steel stand in Page 2 of the original thread 2-3 years ago.

I personally do not think that the tank was designed and constructed properly either. the way the euro braces were designed and implemented was all wrong.

to bad this thread is so agonizingly long and boring to be made a sticky on 'WHAT NOT TO DO'
Not to start an argument, but if you "Hate to say it" You wouldn't. Why do you come onto a thread and toot your own horn about someone else's misfortunes.

I know most people on here see things like this and will suggest possible changes in the future, but don't sit here and say that it was destined to happen because the person didn't take their advice.

All I know is, I am not about to point fingers. I have made my share of mistakes, as have most (not that this issue was due to a mistake). It is a terrible thing to have happened, and I will offer my support however I can. Be constructive not critical. Your opinion is an opinion, just like everyone else's. Just cause you think you are right, doesn't mean you are.

Best of luck

Jasontkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2008, 11:23 AM   #599
starpolyp
Registered Member

it all could have been prevented. this site should exist so that people can seek out how to properly do things. Not all this RC fluff that I see...

this set-up was a train wreck in the making. I'm sure there are many people, like myself, that saw it coming a mile away and tried to stop it all to no avail.

there wasnt much to this set-up that was actually done correctly.

starpolyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2008, 11:37 AM   #600
Jasontkd
Registered Member

Train wreck? How? because the stand wasn't metal? Or because the eurobracing wasn't to your liking?

That is rediculous. Granted, people do things differently, and not everyone's advice can be taken because there are too many different views on things, but that does not make this a train wreck.

also, so what if you could see it coming. that still does not excuse a person from kicking someone while they are down and telling them that they should be an example of what not to do. If you see a problem, tell them that there is a potential problem, but once said, let it be. No need to come on here after a problem does present itself (which you have no way of proving that you suggestions could have prevented it) and act like they deserve what happened.

Maybe your post should be a "sticky" called 'How Not to Act'

Jasontkd is offline   Reply With Quote