Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2016, 04:24 AM   #1
jonnyu
Registered Member

Cycling tank question

So I'm cycling my tank. It's a 180 with that I started with dry sand, dry rock and home mixed saltwater. I have researched a lot in using different bacterias and after buying a microscope and looking at all different products I decided to go with fritz turbo start. Seems to be the only live bacteria out there. So first day I dosed ammonia (clear ammonia from Walmart ) till my test kit showed 3ppm. This took about 30ml. Then I dosed a bottle of fritz.
48hrs later I'm at .25 on API test kit
Then is dose 30ml again
36hr I'm at .25
I continued for the last seven days to dose 30ml every time I get a ready of .25.
I'm kind of at a stand still right now. As the last 2 days my tank processes the 30ml of ammonia in 12hrs and brings it down to .25. I have yet to see under .25. Should I keep dosing or should I leave tank alone and wait for 0? I am showing nitrates at 5 . Here is a pic of my test results from today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 06:51 AM   #2
Vadafallon
Registered Member

I am wondering these same questions.

Vadafallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 09:28 AM   #3
dreaddinit
Registered Member

Leave it alone and only dose the starting bacteria as instructed on the bottle. Ammonia will spike and fall, then nirites, then nitrates. Only when you see ammonia and nitrites at zero and nitrates showing are the only ones left are you cycled.

I've never dosed ammonia before but I would say if your seeing nitrites, which you are. Stop dosing ammonia. I imagine it can only prolong your cycle process.

I used aquavitro seed and let it roll. Took two weeks to cycle fully.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

dreaddinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 10:34 AM   #4
thegrun
Registered Member

The API ammonia test kits are notorious for showing a false 0.25 reading when in fact there is no ammonia. Get a better ammonia test kit, most likely your ammonia is zero. Whatever you do STOP dosing ammonia! All you are doing is building up nitrates in your tank (the end product of the cycle) which will feed algae. The bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates can live over a year without food (ammonia), so adding more is just going to cause you problems and could cause a large nitrite spike which will slow down the cycle, although it looks like they are under control from your test result.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 04:08 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

Ammonia test kits do seem to fail fairly frequently. You could try measuring some distilled water. It should measure zero if the kit is working.

Unread 09/13/2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Vadafallon
Registered Member

Tested zero nitrates, zero ammonia with distilled water. Used a different kit and in fact I think the other kit was right. I went back and tested again as was directed after adding ammonia. 2ppm.

Last edited by Vadafallon; 09/13/2016 at 07:04 PM.
Unread 09/14/2016, 08:14 AM   #7
jackny
Registered Member

Tested zero nitrates...great

jackny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2016, 08:29 AM   #8
Vadafallon
Registered Member

So since i have not seen Nitrites yet should i assume the cycle has not started yet? I am on day 4.

Unread 09/14/2016, 01:37 PM   #9
jackny
Registered Member

pls Vadafallon how big is your tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadafallon View Post
So since i have not seen Nitrites yet should i assume the cycle has not started yet? I am on day 4.

jackny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2016, 01:48 PM   #10
Vadafallon
Registered Member

75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. So 68 gallons of water i think in total.

Unread 09/14/2016, 02:10 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

The tank might never show any nitrite (or nitrate), although that's rare for a tank with only dry rock. I wouldn't worry. Bacteria show up when they show up, and even most dry rock has some debris on it, so cycling tends to be unpredictable.

Unread 09/14/2016, 02:25 PM   #12
Vadafallon
Registered Member

I used Dr. Tim's one and only bacteria. I also have about 1L of Seachem Matrix in the sump area for bacteria to bind too since i am only running about 50ishlbs of rock. I wanted more surface area for the bacteria.

Unread 11/24/2017, 05:53 AM   #13
fishnugget
Registered Member

I used Dr.tims. Showed ammonia. Then ammonia went to Zero. It has been 2 days and have not seen nitrates go above zero. Am I cycled? I have 150 gallon tank where i used 125lbs of live rock & live sand?

fishnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 12:54 PM   #14
blasterman789
Registered Member

Why are you using a bacterial additive with live rock?

Full nitrate conversion from ammonia in an established tank takes at least a week when I've tested this. I've also found that even a small piece of live rock from an established tank works better/faster than bacteria in a bottle.

My opinion is you aren't cycled for coral until you start producing measurable nitrate. Fish safe happens much earlier when ammonia starts diving.

blasterman789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 09:58 PM   #15
bertoni
RC Mod

You could test the biological filtration by feed some fish food, maybe ½ of what you intend to feed the first inhabitants. If that feeding doesn't produce an ammonia spike, the tank probably is ready to go, but I'd probably for a week of zero ammonia to make sure that the ammonia stays at zero. Sometimes, tanks experience secondary ammonia spikes, possibly due to die-off in the rock.

Unread 11/26/2017, 11:36 AM   #16
fishnugget
Registered Member

Added ammonia back in since both said zero. 24 hrs later shows ammonia. Wonder if I should add more bacteria

fishnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2017, 09:05 PM   #17
bertoni
RC Mod

How much ammonia did you add, in terms of ppm.