Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2017, 09:09 PM   #1
Ryagon
Registered Member

First set up, Shadow Overflow leaking!

Setting my my first tank. 125g with the 16" Synergy Reef -Shadow Overflow. I drilled the tank using Synergy Reefs diamond hole saw and drilling template. Got the plumbing all hooked up and was running a wet test. Ran ok except issues with my siphon but that's for another discussion. After I was messing with the height of the pipes inside the box to adjust the beananimal setup and then it started leaing on the outside gaskets. I tried taking it apart and reseating it 4 times to no avail. Any tips on how to stop this leak?

I have it laid out like Synergy Reefs diagram shows: Front Box>Gaskets>Glass>Gaskets>outside box.

Ryagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 09:44 PM   #2
Julius Chen
Registered Member

I assume your leak is between tank and overflow, not bottom of external box where the beanimal pipes are?

Are u sure u installed the gaskets same way you described above?

My overflow was made by modular marine off ebay. 1st gasket is inside internal box which I do not have accessto. 2nd gasket goes between internalbox and glass, and 3rd gasket goes between glass and external box.

I initially had a leak, but then realized I put 3rd gasket between bulkhead nut and outside box. This mistake was despite I read instructions carefully. I even told modular marine the correct gasket locations despite that was not how I installed.

I hand tightened mine, then another 1/4 turn (or 1/3 turn in case still tiny leak). Dont over tighten.

Here is what modular marine told me before I realized my mistake:

Sorry to hear about the leak. This is a very uncommon problem. I have a few questions.
1. How much play is there in the drilled holes through the tank? If the bulkheads fit with a lot of extra room then the gasket will not be making much contact with the tank.
2. How much weight is being pulled down on the exterior box? If you have all your plumbing supported by the box so it is pulling down on it it could cause the box to tweak a gap in the seal.
3. Did you check and clean all surfaces? Did you apply petroleum jelly to the gaskets?
4. How tight did you get it by hand? As tight as possible or just snug?

Last edited by Julius Chen; 03/10/2017 at 09:55 PM.
Julius Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 09:49 PM   #3
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

First set up, Shadow Overflow leaking!

Bulkheads can leak if the part of the bulkhead that contacts the gasket is not smooth due to residue from the manufacturing process. I bet you'll find the surface isn't smooth. Sand any rough parts will sand paper and your problem just may stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 180g sps dom, 40b sump, Reeflo Dart, Apex, Aquamaxx co2, Reefbrite mh/led pendants w/14k twinarcs, Kore 5th doser, Tunze ATO, Ranco controlling 800 watt Finnex tube, 2 Maxpect Gyre 150XF with Ice Cap Controllers and battery backup, Bean Animal drain
Syntax1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 10:13 PM   #4
Ryagon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Chen View Post
Sorry to hear about the leak. This is a very uncommon problem. I have a few questions.
1. How much play is there in the drilled holes through the tank? If the bulkheads fit with a lot of extra room then the gasket will not be making much contact with the tank.
2. How much weight is being pulled down on the exterior box? If you have all your plumbing supported by the box so it is pulling down on it it could cause the box to tweak a gap in the seal.
3. Did you check and clean all surfaces? Did you apply petroleum jelly to the gaskets?
4. How tight did you get it by hand? As tight as possible or just snug?
Yes the leak is between the glass and outside box. I triple checked the order of installation from synergy reef. There is no gasket inside the outer box just on each side of the glass.

Not much play in the holes fairly snug but this is my first drilled tank so no comparison.

Most the weight is supported by the box. I will see what I can do about bracing somehow.

I cleaned the surface but did not lube, didn't know that was a thing. I will try that too.

I tried different levels of tightening from just snug to as tight as I can hand tighten and no difference.

Unread 03/10/2017, 10:27 PM   #5
Julius Chen
Registered Member

Dont think the weight born on the outer box or lube will help much. My guess is something else going on. I nerver lubed mine, and there is decent amount of weight on my outer box.

Is there a rim pushing against your outer box?

Do u have a gasket inside the internal box? That gasket, in my case, prevents water leaking onto bulkhead stem's threaded surface and travelling onward toward the outside gasket.

Last edited by Julius Chen; 03/10/2017 at 10:32 PM.
Unread 03/11/2017, 05:33 AM   #6
Ryagon
Registered Member

No the black top trim (if that is what you are talking about) is above the box so wouldn't effect this.

No gasket on the inside of the outer box. These only come with 4 and it shows to do them on each side of the glass and not the inside of the box.

Unread 03/11/2017, 10:16 AM   #7
Ryagon
Registered Member

I tried to lube it just now and cleaned off the glass real good. This actually made it leak worse... Steady stream instead of a trickle. I have no idea what to do.

Unread 03/11/2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Julius Chen
Registered Member

My overflow has 3 gaskets per bulkhead. The 1st one is in the box INSIDE the tank, not in the external box. Do u have it?

I gave more thought to this gasket -my statement in earlier post that it prevents water getting to the threaded surface of the bulkhead stem is probably irrelevant. Water can leak to the threaded stem surface anyway from the tail end of the bulkhead (inside external box, where there is no gasket).

But if u dont have this gasket, it may be difficult to align all parts with even tension.

i read before that imperfections in overflow box surface could leak to leak. That is hard to confirm though.

Unread 03/11/2017, 12:55 PM   #9
Percula9
Registered Member

Get some silicon grease and put it on the outside gasket.That should stop the leak.

Percula9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 02:29 PM   #10
Ryagon
Registered Member

Ok I talked to support @ Synergy Reef and they said the box had to much weight from the plumbing pulling on it which was causing the gaskets to sort of kink. They recommended getting PVC pipe mounts to secure the pipe to the stand to reduce weight held by the box itself. 20 minutes after doing this still no leak. Guys I think we are good and thank you for all the advice!

Unread 11/24/2017, 03:39 PM   #11
makers marc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryagon View Post
Ok I talked to support @ Synergy Reef and they said the box had to much weight from the plumbing pulling on it which was causing the gaskets to sort of kink. They recommended getting PVC pipe mounts to secure the pipe to the stand to reduce weight held by the box itself. 20 minutes after doing this still no leak. Guys I think we are good and thank you for all the advice!
Ryagon,

It's been months but hows the leak? What PVC supports worked?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote