Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2016, 05:07 PM   #26
ComponentElm246
Registered Member

It's 2016 and i find this thread very relevant cos im trying to set up a seahorse only tank right now.

ComponentElm246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 07:04 PM   #27
vlangel
Registered Member

Hey, welcome to the world of seahorse! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 03:24 AM   #28
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would stick largely with snails. Stromatella that reproduce in your tank are ideal.
Hermits should only be tiny species, if any - though they are more a threat to snails than seahorses.
If the tank is larger and you don't have macro algae you may also try urchins for algae control.

As leftover food consumers you could try one of the smaller Stenopus shrimp species - I would recommend S. tenuirostris or S. cyanoscelis, both smaller and peaceful species. They will usually only come out at night or collect food that gets close enough to their cave. I have several pairs of both species with my pipefish and no issues.

BTW: I can only confirm that Banggai Cardinals are very aggressive eaters and also not necessarily peaceful. My 3 Banggai pairs are crazy wild eaters and so fast that my other fish have a hard time competing.
I need to fill them up first before the other fish cam get food.
I could also imagine that Banggais don't like seahorses much as they are a possible thread to their fry.

Better tank mates may be pipefish or mandarins.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 09:51 AM   #29
afm32607
Registered Member

Bringing it back one more time. Does anyone have any opinion relative to shrimp like skunk cleaners or peppermint? I have a 34 gallon tank I am making into a sea horse tank, was thinking one skunk or a couple peppermints (they do better in groups IME). I know they would compete for food, but how much can one or two shrimp eat?

afm32607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 09:56 AM   #30
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Peppermint shrimp are fine in a seahorse tank. They help clean up uneaten food and don’t bother seahorses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaltyMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2017, 09:00 AM   #31
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm32607 View Post
Bringing it back one more time. Does anyone have any opinion relative to shrimp like skunk cleaners or peppermint? I have a 34 gallon tank I am making into a sea horse tank, was thinking one skunk or a couple peppermints (they do better in groups IME). I know they would compete for food, but how much can one or two shrimp eat?
I have a couple peppermint shrimp in my tank. They can get very brazen if you are feeding from a dish on the floor. Now my dish is up high on the side of the tank. Also small peppermint shrimp can end up being dinner, so choose speciments on the larger size and introduce them either before the seahorses or after the lights are out so they can find hiding places.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 07:05 PM   #32
SaltyMember
Premium Member

My peppermint shrimp stay in their cave the vast majority of the time. They are only willing to come out briefly to nab a piece of mysis if it drifts by their cave. Otherwise, I think they are afraid of the seahorses despite being large in size.

SaltyMember is offline   Reply With Quote