Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2020, 12:00 PM   #1
Jade5051
That guy...

Reefing without a LFS

I just picked up a 75g for $100 during Petco’s dollar per gallon sale. I’m unsure what I’m going to do with it just yet, freshwater or saltwater? I have all the equipment and experience to make either work. My main concern with a saltwater setup is I don’t have a LFS that supports saltwater. One of the LFSs here will order the saltwater fish/corals if I want them but I have to be there for pick up when it shows up. Not a huge deal but I can’t select the exact fish I want nor can I assess its health prior to selecting it, both of which I have always done. The closest store that has saltwater fish on hand is 90 minutes away. I’ve never reefed without a LFS. I’ve never bought livestock online, salt online, rocks online, etc. I’ll have to order everything online. Fish, salt, rocks, sand, medications, food, etc. I should have enough backup equipment to get me through a few days due to equipment failures. I already order almost all my equipment online. I usually rely on my LFS for consumables and livestock. Can anyone please share their experience of not having a LFS?

Unread 03/24/2020, 12:20 PM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

I've lived in areas where having a LFS wasn't much of an option, and it worked out fine by ordering everything online. Just do your homework on vendors, equipment, etc. so you don't have any unpleasant surprises. Also, keep an eye out for sales and then buy in bulk (e.g. salt).

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2020, 05:39 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

I have an LFS within 15 minutes and buy almost everything online. They just don't even come close on price.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2020, 06:11 PM   #4
vlangel
Registered Member

I buy my salt from Chewy.com and they deliver to my door. I have it auto-shipped which is very convenient.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2020, 06:13 PM   #5
phc567
Registered Member

Lfs are useless

in the Witness Protection program

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal , 60 cube
phc567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2020, 06:24 PM   #6
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by phc567 View Post
Lfs are useless
Many are but not all. Whenever we move to a new place, I make the rounds to see if I can find a good LFS to support. If I don't like what I see, I only use them for emergency situations.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2020, 10:26 PM   #7
lionfish300
Registered Member

Been reefing without LFS since 2007 when we moved to Las Cruces New Mexico. Doctor Foster and Smith and Liveaquaria were my go to

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 11:07 AM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

I'd go saltwater if you have a desire for it. I maintain a freshwater tank as well as salt, but honestly, the browns and greens predominate, and the colors are hard come by in freshwater. It's very much a personal choice, however, because a freshwater can be a thing of beauty in its own right.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 11:45 AM   #9
mansorinc
Registered Member

I buy most of my stuff online, and plus you build points and get free stuff when you buy. Also most LFS can’t really compete with dry goods when it comes to the online world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mansorinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2020, 11:56 AM   #10
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

IMO, LFSs are best for window shopping and impulse buys. I get most of my dry goods online due to price. Most coral I buy either online, or from local hobbyists. You might be able to find a local or semi local reefing group to be part of. Might find someone who could help in case of emergencies.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote