Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2016, 02:08 AM   #51
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Today I set up the 20 gallon tank and moved them over (incl. rocks, sand and equipment).

I tried to build two "bays" so each of them could have an own territory and be a bit out of sight of the other...
Well, the big one had a different idea and sat up shop under the central parting rock, which leaves the smaller only one of the corners while still under threat.

So I will have to redo the rockwork with a pile on each end of the tank and an open zone in the middle. That way they can make their home far enough from each other without feeling bothered by the other.

Live and learn...

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2016, 02:23 AM   #52
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

If your LFS gets stuff from Pacific Aqua Farms they had quite a few of these jawfish in stock yesterday.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2016, 03:02 AM   #53
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Pacific Aqua Farms treats them right by putting them in these jars. Some other wholesalers keep them in bags which is one cause of the "BSJD" - the white patches, ammonia burns and bacterial infections.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 04/18/2016, 01:56 PM   #54
scuzy
Registered Member

What's the difference between the jars?

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2016, 02:55 AM   #55
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The jars keep them from fighting. Ideally they should have some sand in them, but this is better than storing them in shipping bags.

My two are driving me crazy. I redecorated the tank so that they can have their burrows at opposite ends and they still try to either be in the same corner or are stealing each others burrows.

There is no serious fighting and no injuries beside some minor lip damage on the smaller one. It's just that they seem to think the grass is always greener where the other one is - they kind of remind me of little kids.

I feel the smaller one is rather lazy. While the bigger one immediately starts building a hole after a redecoration, the smaller just goes into a hole in the rocks and only starts some half hearted construction after a good while.

I guess they need some other fish as company to stop these shenanigans.

BTW, right now their tank is at 25 °C and they show not the slightest sign of discomfort.

Unread 04/25/2016, 01:45 AM   #56
ThRoewer
Registered Member

30 days now and they are still doing fine.

Unread 04/25/2016, 02:48 AM   #57
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
30 days now and they are still doing fine.
From my experience, survival for a month is an important boundary condition. I would lower your temperature a bit . . .

Unread 04/25/2016, 02:59 AM   #58
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I keep them at room temperature - no heater. Though I don't think 25 °C will harm them as it matches the water temperatures at La Paz around this time of the year.

Unread 04/25/2016, 12:24 PM   #59
d-man
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
If your LFS gets stuff from Pacific Aqua Farms they had quite a few of these jawfish in stock yesterday.
They always have lots.
That's where I got mine from about 4weeks ago. They made it through QT and are in the DT now. They move every stinking day, but they are aggressive eaters and don't back down from anyone. Hopefully they will settle in completely into a burrow/s

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2016, 01:34 PM   #60
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
They always have lots.
That's where I got mine from about 4weeks ago. They made it through QT and are in the DT now. They move every stinking day, but they are aggressive eaters and don't back down from anyone. Hopefully they will settle in completely into a burrow/s
Did you get them directly from Pacific Aqua Farms or through a LFS or online store (Blue Zoo)?

As for the moving - my two constantly swap burrows. One always wants the burrow the other is in right now. They must have swapped over a 100 times by now - it's getting silly.

Unread 05/02/2016, 01:46 AM   #61
ThRoewer
Registered Member

These two are driving me nuts - they constantly steal each others burrows. In total there are now 3 holes - two on one end and one at the other of the tank.
At times they even sit right next to each other in the two holes on one end.
If these silly fish just could make up their minds and stay at one location

Otherwise they do fine and eat like pigs.

This weekend I saw a bunch of fairly healthy looking BSJ at a local store - all looking like my smaller one, and even smaller than him (her?). They had them for at least 2 weeks, so they are likely good.
I was playing with the idea to add one to my current two to make a trio, but decided against it for now since my QT space is totally maxed out.

Unread 05/02/2016, 08:01 AM   #62
Martini5788
Registered Member

My one is driving me crazy. He has made 8 burrows now in my 90 gallon. And he still isn't happy. Trying to find an escape route all the time. I also have no idea how he has connected all the burrows. The rocks were placed on the glass( thank god I did this) but they were pretty flat so idk how he is getting under them. Wish I could see the bottom of the tank but the stand has a plywood top so I can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2016, 08:19 PM   #63
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The hole swapping and creation of new holes continues. By now the tank bottom looks like a gofer infested lawn with holes and mounts everywhere...
Otherwise they are doing good and eat well. They have grown a good deal and especially the bigger one has become a fat little sausage.

The third one I got 2 weeks ago got sick - ich and milky slimy areas on his fins. I have him and the 8 barnacle blennies that share the tank with him currently in treatment with CP. When I got him he was scary skinny from being severely under fed at the store. Despite ferocious eating he has so far failed to get as fat as he should be. Though he doesn't look like he has intestinal parasites.

Unread 05/24/2016, 12:15 PM   #64
alton
Registered Member

Mine is just laid back and never gets excited

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 09:15 AM   #65
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The 3rd guy didn't make it and died Wednesday night. He was too undernourished and despite aggressive feeding he wouldn't gain weight.
Yesterday the blennies looked like they are on their way out.
What they have looks like ich but may not to be ich from how it progresses and how deadly it seems to be - something is off.
Since CP didn't seem to work (at least not quick enough) I'm now trying hyposalinity with the blennies after a near complete water change. Let's see if that brings any change.

Unread 05/27/2016, 09:52 AM   #66
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Just FYI I've done formalin dips on a blenny and yasha goby. They handled it fine.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 09:39 AM   #67
Triggerfish
Registered Member

awesome fish....

best of luck...

Current Tank Info: 110g mixed reef
Triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 10:26 AM   #68
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Just FYI I've done formalin dips on a blenny and yasha goby. They handled it fine.
They all got a formalin dip before they went into the QT. This is something unaffected by formalin. What is even more concerning is the fact that it can also infect other fish than BSJs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 06/06/2016, 06:24 AM   #69
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by throewer View Post
always :d

though my wife may not agree to another permanent tank. She is already nagging about the 5 qts i have lined up in the living room for about a year now......
🤓🤓🤓

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 04:09 AM   #70
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Thought to give a quick update:
It seems they largely settles into their current holes, though I can't keep an eye on them all the time and therefore don't know what they up to when I'm gone.

The larger has gained a lot of weight and looks like a fat sausage. It has also gained a good deal in length and sports an overall darker coloration.
The smaller is much more slender, but not undernourished. It hasn't grown much, and is also lighter in color.

The temperatures have been quite high during the days for the last 3 weeks. The temperatures in my un-chilled tanks has gone up to 30°C - too much for my crispa anemone which deflates every time when the temperatures go up.
But the BSJs seem totally unaffected by this, which kind of confirms that high summer and fall temperatures are not generally an issue for them.

Unread 06/29/2016, 05:23 AM   #71
alton
Registered Member

Good news but it will be awesome when you come home and your male will be flashing your female

Unread 06/29/2016, 02:20 PM   #72
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Yours were sitting pretty close to each other.
How did they get along and behave to each other when the male wasn't flashing?

Unread 06/29/2016, 02:45 PM   #73
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Yours were sitting pretty close to each other.
How did they get along and behave to each other when the male wasn't flashing?
Great, the female to the right was his match. I had one more female in the tank with no problems. I found out real quick when I added a fourth BSJF and it was obvious it was a male and the fight was on.

Unread 06/29/2016, 05:49 PM   #74
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I'm not sure if one of mine is a male. I could have two females. The fat one is IMO for sure a female as it looks pretty loaded with eggs.
I may need to find another one to see if I get a reaction. I'm just afraid to add one because he could bring in a disease despite quarantine.
As long as it isn't known what BJFD is it is kind of tricky to prevent it from getting into the system. The last one I got from the LFS died miserably of it.

Unread 06/30/2016, 05:43 AM   #75
alton
Registered Member

A while back I tried to add a second to my office tank. I did this by leaving the second BSJF in the bag and placing it in the aquarium close to the 1st ones home. The first one actually attacked the bag, so I did not add the second one to the tank. I figured if it is already attacking it while in the bag , that wasn't a good sign. I never tried adding a second to my current BSJF