Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2014, 08:22 PM   #1
aggie13reef
Registered Member

Detaching single mushroom from rock

I purchased a coral from the LFS yesterday and come to find out the rock that it was on has a single reddish-purple mushroom on the side of it. Not sure which kind. but I would like to detach it and re-attach it to another rock in my tank how would I do so?
Thanks!

65 gal DSA
aggie13reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 08:36 PM   #2
grant778
Registered Member

You can just cut it off. The somewhat annoying part is getting them to reattach because you can't glue them right to a rock due to their mucus. I put fragged mushrooms in a rinsed out yogurt container and put some broken pieces of coral in it and a mesh on top to keep the mushroom from coming out. After a week or so, the mushroom has usually attached to a piece of coral which I can glue where I want.

grant778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 09:15 PM   #3
aggie13reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant778 View Post
You can just cut it off. The somewhat annoying part is getting them to reattach because you can't glue them right to a rock due to their mucus. I put fragged mushrooms in a rinsed out yogurt container and put some broken pieces of coral in it and a mesh on top to keep the mushroom from coming out. After a week or so, the mushroom has usually attached to a piece of coral which I can glue where I want.
Just cut it off with a razorblade?

65 gal DSA
Unread 07/31/2014, 09:20 PM   #4
S13<3
KeepItSuperSimple

you can cut it off with a razor, but make sure you remove all the tissue or it will regrow again. these mushrooms are very invasive so id keep that in mind. me personally id try and cut the rock underneath the mushroom with a pair of dikes or bone cutters so you dont have to go thru the mission of reattaching it like grant778 said

S13<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2014, 09:50 PM   #5
aggie13reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13<3 View Post
you can cut it off with a razor, but make sure you remove all the tissue or it will regrow again. these mushrooms are very invasive so id keep that in mind. me personally id try and cut the rock underneath the mushroom with a pair of dikes or bone cutters so you dont have to go thru the mission of reattaching it like grant778 said
True, the only difficulty with cutting the rock is the mushroom is touching the toadstool that I purchased the other day, so I would have to worry about that.

65 gal DSA
Unread 08/06/2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Mael
Registered Member

Just get as close to the foot as possible, I find it is easier with an exacto knife and you can be a bit more delicate and accurate that way, even if you can only scrape a little of the rock away with the foot it will help prevent it growing back.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2014, 06:06 PM   #7
aggie13reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post
Just get as close to the foot as possible, I find it is easier with an exacto knife and you can be a bit more delicate and accurate that way, even if you can only scrape a little of the rock away with the foot it will help prevent it growing back.
I did go out and buy an exacto knife, going to try and remove it in the morning. It will be my first time cutting/working on anything so I am a little nervous. where should I put the mushroom once it is removed from the rock? any other ideas that what grant said above?

65 gal DSA
Unread 08/09/2014, 06:47 PM   #8
Ludwigia73
Reef Reef Reef Reef Reef

stick the blade just under one part of the "foot" and lift. It should peel away without actually cutting anything, unless the foot is inside a little hole or something.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon with 40 gallon sump, LED's
Ludwigia73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2014, 09:19 PM   #9
aggie13reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwigia73 View Post
stick the blade just under one part of the "foot" and lift. It should peel away without actually cutting anything, unless the foot is inside a little hole or something.
Thanks for the advice, this wednesday is when I'm going to attempt this, my fiance is the one who wants the mushroom saved so it can spread haha

65 gal DSA
Unread 08/11/2014, 08:12 AM   #10
grant778
Registered Member

Don't be nervous. I just had to move one of my favorite ones and it had its foot inside a hole like mentioned above, I kinda ripped it in half in a not so clean cut, and both parts are doing great. Mushrooms are unkillable if thats a word, so you don't need to be nervous at all. If you are able to get some rock under the mushroom's foot, just put it in a low flow area on the sand bed until you figure out where you want it. If you don't get rock, I'm afraid you will most likely have to do what I mentioned earlier. Its really not that bad though.

grant778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2014, 09:04 AM   #11
aggie13reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant778 View Post
Mushrooms are unkillable if thats a word
Sweeeeeet haha, thanks for the positive words, definitely gave me a confidence boost!

65 gal DSA
Unread 08/11/2014, 02:37 PM   #12
leveldrummer
Reefer

if you can, its much easier to just break the rock up, is the mushroom in a place that you can break the rock and have the mushroom already attached?

leveldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2014, 09:58 AM   #13
aggie13reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leveldrummer View Post
if you can, its much easier to just break the rock up, is the mushroom in a place that you can break the rock and have the mushroom already attached?
Unfortunately it is not, Its right by the base of a toadstool actually growing onto the base of the toadstool.

65 gal DSA