Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2009, 02:25 PM   #26
Macimage
Registered Member

I just received my Vit. C from iherb.com today. If anyone needs the link, it's:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=10178

I also got a brand new coupon code yesterday for $5 off if anyone needs the newest coupon code. It's MAH587.

Thanks for this thread!
Joyce

Macimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 02:37 PM   #27
Skeptic_07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
The VC does do more then just provide a carbon source though.
proof?

Skeptic_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 03:50 PM   #28
Pufferpunk
Moved On

LOL, the proof is in this very long thread.

Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 03:56 PM   #29
happyface888
Registered Member

Before and after pictures?? Could someone direct me to that page??
I am also interested in dosing vitamin c, I have a 50g tank, so I would have to dose 1/8 of a tea spoon twice a day??
Are there any side effects if you add more than needed?

happyface888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 03:59 PM   #30
650-IS350
Registered Member

Puff, does VC affect your overall DKH? cause I noticed some of my SPS started to look like SHIET, did all the test everything is in PAR but DKH was up to 14!.

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2009, 04:09 PM   #31
Pufferpunk
Moved On

There were some complaints about that in the Reef Chemistry forum. I still haven't figured out why, since my pH has remained steady 8.3 & my alk is added nightly at slightly less than I used to add.

Unread 03/26/2009, 04:14 PM   #32
650-IS350
Registered Member

pH did remain the same but the DKH shot off the roof. Only bandaid for this would be to do waterchanges and top off with rodi/ that doesn't have any additions to it to raise ph to 8.2 and alk.

Unread 03/26/2009, 04:35 PM   #33
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Yeah, I don't get that... Mine seems quite stable.

Unread 03/26/2009, 04:42 PM   #34
Skeptic_07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
LOL, the proof is in this very long thread.
I have followed the thread from the beginning.

I still can not figure out what else VC does in an aquarium besides act as a carbon source.

Unread 03/26/2009, 04:44 PM   #35
Pufferpunk
Moved On

It has been discussed that it could help in collagen production in coral's cells. I do know that other carbon sources does not heal melting zoas.

Unread 03/26/2009, 05:04 PM   #36
Jeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic_07
proof? I still can not figure out what else VC does in an aquarium besides act as a carbon source.
There isnt a lot of "proof" really since a scientist hasnt done specific lab testing with Puffy's system. If the dozens of people with improved corals and fish arent proof or people like me that have stopped and started dosing and run VC along with other carbon sources isnt good enough then I dont suggest trying it. If you have not read the entire thread including all of the splits and looked at the before/after pictures and read the many people that are successful and happy with this cheap additive then its not for you as well. There are many people that dont have nutrient or algae problems dosing that have still had great results which indicates to me that it does way more then act as a carbon source.
I am no scientist, far from it and I am a sceptic also. I read reviews of everyting before buying and get first hand opinions whenever possible but this stuff works. We just dont have all of the scientific reasons yet. Every single person in this thread and for years before this thread that was willing to take a chance on others opinions rolled the dice and spent $12.00 on a bottle of this stuff. The vast majority have been thrilled. None of us had any scientific proof of its worth before trying it.

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2009, 09:32 AM   #37
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I figure we should get this in the beginning of this split somewhere.

Dosing Vitamin C Chart

Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails....93197697039798
$5 0ff coupon code: LUL789 (always good for first purchase).

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily. If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
* If you notice an algae bloom or increased skim on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water for a minute then pour into my overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors.
* If you have a question, ask here. I check VC threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

Unread 03/27/2009, 09:32 AM   #38
Skeptic_07
Registered Member

Thanks.

Unread 03/27/2009, 09:58 AM   #39
650-IS350
Registered Member

I've stopped the past few days till I finish getting the DKH down to manageable levels. SPS/LPS not looking so hot, polyps getting a lot lighter in color almost bleaching.

Unread 03/27/2009, 10:05 AM   #40
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I'd agree 14 is too high.

Unread 03/27/2009, 10:36 AM   #41
Jeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
I figure we should get this in the beginning of this split somewhere.

The guide I posted on the previous page isnt good enough for you?

IWNFT343F

Unread 03/27/2009, 11:23 AM   #42
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Oops, missed that. Of course it's good enough. I think we need to post this every few pages though.

Unread 04/09/2009, 05:20 PM   #43
IBASSFSH
Registered Member

Is this thread dead? No posts in a while...

IBASSFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2009, 05:38 PM   #44
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Pictures?

Unread 04/09/2009, 07:04 PM   #45
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Yeah, where are all those before/after pics???

Unread 04/09/2009, 09:41 PM   #46
LCDRDATA
Registered Member

My before pics aren't all that great, and since my best zoas almost completely melted, you wouldn't want the after pics either.

Not that I think anyone should take this as evidence of anything except that some cases are beyond VC's ability to cure.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal reef (zoas/palys/discoma/xenia/GSP; monti (cap & digi)/acan/favia/hammer/frogspawn/candy cane; derasa clam, Leopard Wrasse, Randal Goby, Kole Tang, Clown pair, 2xYT Blue Damsel, Engineer Goby, Skunk Cleaner/Coral Banded Shrimp,asst scavengers)
LCDRDATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2009, 09:32 AM   #47
Logzor
Registered Member

I was able to use a combination of vitamin c and phosban to knock a major blow in a nasty algae that loves sps water conditions and flow.

I am wondering if we should develop a system or model to knock out phosphate and nitrates that revolves around vitamin c dosing.

None of us want to blow a ton of money on GFO just to have phosphates come back. Also, I am not sure how long to dose vitamin c before running GFO to tackle an algae issue. I ended up doing both at once and it was a very powerful combination.

To reach TOTM status I think a model is needed that incorporates vitamin c into a system. What will be unique is that vitamin c has other benefits other than being a carbon source.

Quickly and not refined/well fleshed out:

1. Manual removal
2. Blow rock off daily and remove detritus from sump (begin dosing x Vitamin c). 1 week - and continue until detritus stops flying off.
3. Reduce feedings to dry food 1x a day (increase dose to x) continue for 1 week.
4. Increase water changes to 25% a week (increase dose to x) continue for 3 weeks.
5. Begin running GFO (increase dose to x) continue for 3 weeks.

Something similar to that which people could easily follow to tackle an algae issue while having other benefits of vitamin c.

Logzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2009, 09:34 AM   #48
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Excellent!

Unread 04/10/2009, 10:25 AM   #49
Jeff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Logzor
I was able to use a combination of vitamin c and phosban to knock a major blow in a nasty algae that loves sps water conditions and flow.

I am wondering if we should develop a system or model to knock out phosphate and nitrates that revolves around vitamin c dosing.

None of us want to blow a ton of money on GFO just to have phosphates come back. Also, I am not sure how long to dose vitamin c before running GFO to tackle an algae issue. I ended up doing both at once and it was a very powerful combination.

To reach TOTM status I think a model is needed that incorporates vitamin c into a system. What will be unique is that vitamin c has other benefits other than being a carbon source.

Quickly and not refined/well fleshed out:

1. Manual removal
2. Blow rock off daily and remove detritus from sump (begin dosing x Vitamin c). 1 week - and continue until detritus stops flying off.
3. Reduce feedings to dry food 1x a day (increase dose to x) continue for 1 week.
4. Increase water changes to 25% a week (increase dose to x) continue for 3 weeks.
5. Begin running GFO (increase dose to x) continue for 3 weeks.

Something similar to that which people could easily follow to tackle an algae issue while having other benefits of vitamin c.
I am kind of doing that. I have been running a half dose of vitamin c along with sugar dosing to keep nitrates and phosphates way down and I have succeeded. After dosing viamin c for over a year, I can recommend cutting the dose back. This was based on Genetics formula that is working for him. When I did stop vitamin c completely, my nutients climbed so I started a half dose of sugar dosing along with vitmain c and have been happy. 1/4 tsp vitamin c with 1/2 tsp sugar once a day has been great for my tank for the last few weeks.

IWNFT343F

Unread 04/10/2009, 11:53 AM   #50
Genetics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 650-IS350
Puff, does VC affect your overall DKH? cause I noticed some of my SPS started to look like SHIET, did all the test everything is in PAR but DKH was up to 14!.
Yes total alkalinity will be affected when using large amounts of VC. The buffered VC has a pKa value of 4.17 and 11.57. Using the test kits available for titration they will have an end-point around pH of 4. If you are dosing 30ppm daily, you can effectively raise your total alkalinity by 1.7 for each addition. However, if the VC is consumed and produces CO2 your carbonate alkalinity will only slightly increase as bacteria decompose the VC. So your total dKh will rise but your overall carbonate hardness will not change significantly.

Therefore, I would assume that you are adding quite a bit and the reaction you are seeing from the sps is due to the lack of nutrients in the water. I would cut back the VC to something less than 5ppm (for reference a healthy reef in nature ~1ppm total DOC so you are adding 5x that of nature and of just one molecule) and feed more.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube

Last edited by Genetics; 04/10/2009 at 12:18 PM.
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote